0w20 VW oil observation......2019 GLI - oil temp

Hi everyone,
I posted a thread a few weeks ago asking about the use of 0w20 508 oil in my 2019 GLI. I also asked about oil temperatures at that time, as my general oil temperature usually hovers between 225 and 228.
Today I had the opportunity to take a long road trip with my new car and I noticed a drop in oil temps on the highway. Today in the northeast the temperatures were very hot, in the low 90's at least. I have grown accustomed to the usual 225 temperature, so I was shocked when on the highway going about 80 mph the temperature dropped to 214-218.
I am currently running the factory recommended 0w20 oil. Is it normal/possible to drop almost ten degrees on the highway?

Thank you!

Also keep in mind if this car is new so that could play into the oil temps over the first few thousand miles. Folks ask this all the time over the MQB/MK7 FB page(s) and anything in that range seems to be the norm. My tuned MK7 Sportwagen with the 1.8 (same basic engine and same turbo as yours) will see 210-225 in the summer depending on the type of driving. Highway seems to always settle in around 219.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
Also keep in mind if this car is new so that could play into the oil temps over the first few thousand miles. Folks ask this all the time over the MQB/MK7 FB page(s) and anything in that range seems to be the norm. My tuned MK7 Sportwagen with the 1.8 (same basic engine and same turbo as yours) will see 210-225 in the summer depending on the type of driving. Highway seems to always settle in around 219.

I get the same temps on a stock 1.8T

2019 Passat 2.0T

I'm currently running a 0W-20. My temps have always remained under 203°, even on road trips.

Originally Posted by wemay
2019 Passat 2.0T

I'm currently running a 0W-20. My temps have always remained under 203°, even on road trips.

Isn't the 2.0 in the Passat the b-cycle engine so slightly different than the 2.0s in the GTI/GLI?

My 2017 Alltrack with a 1.8 liter engine will show oil temps (0W-40) of 223 on a hot day when running at speed. My 2019 Passat (0W-20) with the Budack engine cylinder engine will rarely show above 203.

Not abnormal at all, you're moving more air through all the coolers. I run into the same situation going up the mountain in my MK7 GTI. If I'm zipping along pretty good even with the engine spinning 3,000-3,500 rpm's the oil temp stays "cool", but if I get behind a semi or slow moving traffic with less air flow the oil temp creeps up quick.

Originally Posted by Boomer
My 2017 Alltrack with a 1.8 liter engine will show oil temps (0W-40) of 223 on a hot day when running at speed. My 2019 Passat (0W-20) with the Budack engine cylinder engine will rarely show above 203.

That's what I thought - the Passat uses the b-cycle and that is why the temps are much lower than we see on the EA888 MQB engines folks post. I've beaten on it and never seen above 225 on my 1.8 Sportwagen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Delta
Not abnormal at all, you're moving more air through all the coolers. I run into the same situation going up the mountain in my MK7 GTI. If I'm zipping along pretty good even with the engine spinning 3,000-3,500 rpm's the oil temp stays "cool", but if I get behind a semi or slow moving traffic with less air flow the oil temp creeps up quick.

I've seen somewhat the opposite - the MQB cars talked about here don't have separate oil coolers mounted in the front by the radiator/intercooler/condenser. If you push the speed up on the highway that's when my climbs, slow stop/go it drops down.

My 1.4 Tsi Jetta is usually under 170 F unstressed and around 210 F + stressed.

But I have a stick, so I can stay out of boost tooling around town.

Does the OP's E- fan come on at stoplight? What is the coolant temp?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
My 1.4 Tsi Jetta is usually under 170 F unstressed and around 210 F + stressed.

But I have a stick, so I can stay out of boost tooling around town.

Does the OP's E- fan come on at stoplight? What is the coolant temp?

ha - with the DSG in these cars you "stay out of the boost" around town as well with the hyper-eco focused shift map.

Oh I thouhjt jetta had a trditional planetary with lockup converter.

I Don't know about it BC I didnt care about autotrans when I was shopping.

Coming off a CVT I was ready to shift it meself again !

I do like DSG or PDK or whatever the Facebook people call it these days.

Thous I have limited exposure - to a rental Fiesta. Mine ran well.

A Low loss drivetrain wher the addition of autoshift didn't outright kill the performance of a low torque engine.

Like it. But heard of teething issues.

2019 Passat 2.0T

Isn't the 2.0 in the Passat the b-cycle engine so slightly different than the 2.0s in the GTI/GLI?

Would the Budack make that much of a difference? Serious question.

Doubt it as the oil heat mostly comes from friction in the bearing areas and as such is mostly rpm/viscosity dependant. It gets a bit muddled nowadays with oil/coolant interchangers though as coolant gets heated by load.

2019 Passat 2.0T

Would the Budack make that much of a difference? Serious question.

clearly with temps that low - the standard 1.8/2.0s don't see low temps like that. Even in freezing temps I'm above that. The 3.6 VR6 in our Atlas usually is around 208.

Originally Posted by Jetronic
Doubt it as the oil heat mostly comes from friction in the bearing areas and as such is mostly rpm/viscosity dependant. It gets a bit muddled nowadays with oil/coolant interchangers though as coolant gets heated by load.

With exhaust manifolds now cast-in-head, I bet there is some significant oil cooling taking place there.
And there always was - giving the varnish up top under the cam covers.
Then top piston ring grooves.

Last edited:
It was never significant in any of my old cars with oil temp gauges. oil temp always followed rpm and time. During winter it took some more time to heat up and didn't get to the same extremes but still managed to open the thermostat for the oil cooler

Nowadays, most obd oil temp readings are fake and worse than useless. Unless you find a part number for the oil temp sensor in your car, it's a calculated oil temp. This seems to be the most common I come across.

Piston skirts are also bearing surfaces where oil heats due to shear.

A lot of these modern cars have variable cooling. I know my BMW M235 did. On the highway it run 235 degrees, but when I put it in Sport and hit the track it would actually drop to 225. So it would run a higher temp under low load for fuel economy, but drop down when really under load. Maybe VW does this too?

Back