0w oils?

With these push lawn mowers and small 200cc engined pressure washers does anyone use or even recommend using a 0w oil like 0w30 or even 0w40?
Thought if they are splash lubed then a thinner oil on startup would be more beneficial?

Not really. If it’s what you have in stock, fresh oil is better than old oil... beyond that, there’s no tangible benefit...

Since these engines get hot has anyone done modifications to add oil cooler or something to cool engine more?

I have Amsoil SS 0w-30 in my Troy Built/Honda push mower now.
Why? It was leftover just sitting on the shelf. Decided to do something with it.

looks like there is a oil sale on, i need oil for my pressure washer 212cc. which of these should i go with?
or
the 5w30 seems to be a low saps version but it is a 30 grade so should be more correct to use than the 5w40?

i dont think there is much difference in viscosity between the 2 oils. is the 5w40 considered to be on the thinner side of a 40 grade?
5w30.JPG
5w40.JPG

I think the 5w-30 is a better bet here, but if you have straight 30, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t just run that...

I think the 5w-30 is a better bet here, but if you have straight 30, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t just run that...

I agree with this. I don't see the point in a 0w-x oil for something that's typically only operated in warmer weather. You won't realize any benefits of the cold temperature flow properties, and at the temps you'll be using it, a 0w will not necessarily be thinner than a 5w or 10w oil if that's your goal.

Stick with 10w-30 or straight 30 IMO, I wouldn't go out of my way to find a 0w oil unless you happen to have some laying around that you want to get rid of.

With these push lawn mowers and small 200cc engined pressure washers does anyone use or even recommend using a 0w oil like 0w30 or even 0w40?
Thought if they are splash lubed then a thinner oil on startup would be more beneficial?

Yes. In all my OPE engines (past and present, summer or winter, severe duty or light duty) I use 0w30 where 5w30, 10w30 or 30 is called for. Significantly easier to start at all temperatures which matters, to me, with pull starters. Some of my equipment is 30+ years old and still running fine. Engine models I have used 0w30 in: the ubiquitous B&S 3.5HP (mower summer only), B&S 6.5HP (mower summer only), Honda GC160 (pressure washer summer), Tecumseh Snow King 11 HP (gone but not forgotten, I no longer live in a snowy climate).

Is it bad to run 5w40 in these engines? The owners manual doesnt mention any 40 weight oils and skips straight to a 15w50 recommendation for constant use or hot climates?

Either Shell version above would work out for you...

5w30 is low/mid saps (ACEA C3) .... 5w40 is full saps (ACEA A3/B4)...

What is important here is that both are high HTHS (3.5+ per ACEA standard)...

Nothing will explode if you use sae40 oil....done that many times in my OPE....from 5w40-10w40 to 15w40....

Dont overthink things here....

I dont buy oil specifically for the mower, I just use whatever oil is left over from the car oil changes, which for me is predominately 0W30 or 5W30.

Just changed it earlier this week 400ml of Shell Helix Ultra 0W30 into the Honda. GTL technology in a lawn mower :ROFLMAO:

Maybe for sno-blower use?

As a very general rule, air cooled OPE engines do not have any way to control oil temperature. The age-old standard of a 'straight 30' oil was a valid choice for one reason. A straight 30 has a HTHS of about 3.8. Meaning the oil retains sufficient viscosity to protect the engine when the oil temperature climbs into the 250+ degrees F range.

Today's 5W-30 oils have an HTHS of about 3.0-3.1 and can, in hot climates, fall short of the high temperature protection many air cooled engines require. The 0W oils typically use more viscosity index improvers and are generally more prone to shear over time. For this reason, the 0W oils may not be an ideal choice either, even with a robust HTHS spec.

I choose Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck for most of my OPE and Mobil 1, 15W-50 for my generators.

You all are right, but Cujet, I saw what you did and you need to regret. So yeah, without approvals no one will have a clue for the long run actually figuring in cleanliness et al. that can make one want to open up the mower engine at some point. Still, Porsche A40 would be the approval to look for. Whole HTHS is sometimes even said to come from the air cooled Volkswagen corner. (There's also critique especially of 5W-30 with HTHS >3.5 as a european subgrade, but a Porsche A40 is a Porsche A40 and so has a tendency for the 40, therefore Porsche A40 is the finest.)

GTL by the way is made from wax and wax is for skiing :)

Back