0w-20 M1 AFE in Toyota Prius with 213k miles?

So my prius was short tripped for the first 65K miles. "Short" as in a few miles; it got yearly OC @ the toyota dealer (Staunton)
Lots of oil fill hole orange varnish. The problem with around town driving is the engine rarely gets up to full temperature, even after 1/2 hour around town. Some over enthusiasts block the grill will pipe insulation (fits nice btw) to prevent air from hitting the radiator directly.

I wouldn't bother with synthetic oil if you truly are going to be short tripping as condensation will be your biggest problem. 5K seems ok.

That being said, my car now gets continuous service for many miles a day (usually 70); the engine very tolerant of long drain intervals. I usually do 12-15K miles using Amsoil SS or Mobil 1 EP products.

See that is the issue....it will be short tripped. Does oil weight play any type in getting the temperature up more quickly? I have been thinking about that. Thanks.

Considering price point comparing conventional/synblend to full synthetic -- go with full synthetic and sleep easy.

I am inclined to do this. Wondering about the short tripping now though. It's just going to go 7 miles in each direction with 2 stoplights. Maybe 3 times a week.

See that is the issue....it will be short tripped. Does oil weight play any type in getting the temperature up more quickly? I have been thinking about that. Thanks.

I like 5w20's, 10w30's or very shear stable thicker 0w20's for short trip fuel dilution potential. Oils with less VII's. At the mileage you're at, you could run a 5w30/10w30 with no issue.

Then you'd be wrong. There is nothing special about the AFE line beyond that they are all of M1's lightest oils, all 0w weights. That's why you don't see regular M1 in 0w20 or AFE M1 in 5w30. It's marketing, nothing else.

M1 AFE 0w20 is an excellent oil (I use it exclusively in both my newer Hondas) but the AFE branding isn't helping with fuel economy at all, it's just the light weight.

I'd use 5w30 in whatever cheap synthetic you could find. There is no reason to use a 0w oil in your Prius.

I knew all of this. Still, the price is generally about the same as their other products and the rebates make things pretty interesting. To me, the lighter weight within the range is still special sauce.

I understand the no need to run a 0w at startup but wouldn't the lightest possible oil to a degree be more beneficial for startup (in this case engagement might be a better term)?

Another way of asking the same question would be if 0w-30 M1AFE would work out for me for the reasons stated would it make any more sense to go out of my way and possibly pay more for a 5w-30?

Thanks.

Frankly, it is not worth thinking about. In 7 miles the engine isn't going to be @ full temp regardless of oil weight; grab some walmart supertech syn and rest easy.

I did a 20 mile loop in southern CT in the winter and the valve cover was stone cold after the trip.

Frankly, it is not worth thinking about. In 7 miles the engine isn't going to be @ full temp regardless of oil weight; grab some walmart supertech syn and rest easy.

I did a 20 mile loop in southern CT in the winter and the valve cover was stone cold after the trip.

Lol, I am sure it was. Thanks.

You could look into whether Toyota later specified 0W-20 as being appropriate or acceptable for this vehicle. They would have issued a TSB on this. I have switched to 0W-20 in several vehicles (Ford and Toyota) that originally spec'ed 5W-30 and later added 0W-20 to the list of acceptable oils.

Just purchased this 05 Prius. I have all of the service receipts from previous owner who had oil changed at dealer every 5k miles. All factory 5w-30 and OEM Toyota filters.

I know the guy pretty well and he advises no consumption between oil changes. The car will be city driven only in the City. I'd like max fuel economy and would like to do this in conjunction with other fuel saving patterns/items like overinflation of tires and careful driving.

Am I nuts to try out this? I think that I might be. I plan to use one of the tons of FL-400s I have laying around along with it.

Thanks.
Our 02 needs new cats and its probably due to the car burning over a quart of oil during the 5k oci, it has 215k rn. I wish I wouldve bumped up to a 40w but too late now... we will be scrapping or selling it since the cats are more than the vehicle itself.

Back