06 GTO LS2 M1 0w40 3.5k Miles

Messages
50
Location
Texas
Thread starter
So this report might make a few people upset. Reason being is that this oil was in my car for around 3 years. This car is a weekend car if you can even call it that. I think in the last 2 years I've done 500 miles. It stays parked inside at my office and just doesn't get driven much. With that said I've made a conscious effort to drive it more recently. This M1 0w40 is the old formula by the way not the new FS stuff. Had a Purolator Pure One filter on it. Car is stock with the exception of a K&N drop in filter, Predator tune, and Mishimoto radiator ( I had two replacements fail at the crappy plastic endcaps and said no more) I wait for the car to get up to operating temperature before getting on it. I would say 90% of those miles are city and the other 10% highway. No track time but I do get on it frequently. I think it looks pretty good for how old the oil is. Only item that looks a little elevated is iron but I hear these LSx motors tend to shed some. Like to hear your thoughts on this. Oil that went in was Castrol 0w40 with a M1 filter. [Linked Image]
 
Messages
7,872
Location
Michigan
I'm not one of those people that get upset about leaving oil in a seldom-used car. Oil can't tell time. And the car is stored inside. Your UOA looks fine. The oil could have gone longer. Next, extend the OCI to 5000 miles. But you bought the car to enjoy, so drive it more.
 
Messages
1,162
Location
south dakota
That's a good report since you had the oil in there for 3 years. I was contemplating changing it in my Corvette with 6 months and the OLM is showing 81 percent. I was going to change it before storage but it was just too cold out and I didn't feel like it since I was back from a long road trip with it. Now I can leave the oil in there all winter with confidence. BTW those 06 GTO's are a nice ride.
 
Messages
50
Location
Texas
Thread starter
Originally Posted by A_Harman
I'm not one of those people that get upset about leaving oil in a seldom-used car. Oil can't tell time. And the car is stored inside. Your UOA looks fine. The oil could have gone longer. Next, extend the OCI to 5000 miles. But you bought the car to enjoy, so drive it more.
Yep that's the plan going to drive it more. Need to perform some TLC fixes to it. While I had the skid plate off to change the oil I noticed driver side motor mount was split and puked fluid out. Going to replace both just don't know if I will go with OEM or aftermarket Delrin ones.
Originally Posted by 69GTX
Basically a short tripper. But the oil looks good. Didn't shear down much at all.
Yes basically a short tripper but I would say the oil gets to temperature every time.
Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
That's a good report since you had the oil in there for 3 years. I was contemplating changing it in my Corvette with 6 months and the OLM is showing 81 percent. I was going to change it before storage but it was just too cold out and I didn't feel like it since I was back from a long road trip with it. Now I can leave the oil in there all winter with confidence. BTW those 06 GTO's are a nice ride.
I wish these cars had the filter up top so I can use my top side extractor. Suppose its good to get under there from time to time. I found out I had a broken motor mount so it payed off to crawl under there. Thanks for the kind words. I've had this car since 07 so its been in the family for a long time. I got a 01 Z06 a few years ago and part of the agreement with my wife was to sell the GTO. Well a few years later I still have both LOL Always loved and will love Corvettes though. Excited to see the new C8 in person. What year is yours?
Originally Posted by toneydoc
That report looks fine The oil could easily go out to 5k miles and beyond
I'm not so concerned with mileage as I am with time. At this rate It would be 6+ years before 5k miles. I think I'll just change the oil every 3 years unless people think I should go longer. I know people say every year or xxx amount of miles. Some people say 2 years is fine. 3 years appears to be fine but should I be concerned with going longer then that? I mean oil is cheap for this car I just sort of forgot to do it sooner on this car. I'm on a strict regiment for my DD's.
 
Top