05 Dodge 4.7 L head gasket blown again

SIL drivng to visit when suddenly started shaking and white smoke coming out tailpipe. Just had the heads milled flat and valves done less than 6 months ago. Is this common on this motor? Last week No.1 cylinder had new lifters installed. This is a 2005 Dakota crew cab.

It's not common, Dropping valve seats is very common though (after a overheat event). Probably poor workmanship like Danez stated. Not to be a jerk.....But, I wouldn't wish a Chrysler 4.7L on my worst enemy!

I plan to do that after I perform a compression test and check the oil for creamed coffee. It had been running very nicely and has 182K on it. The head job also included new timing chains and guides. It had not been using oil and had no smoke. Valve guides and seals were renewed and umbrella seals replaced. This truck came from Texas so it has no rust issues, good paint and interior and a spray in rhino bed. That is why we spent money to fix it.

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
I plan to do that after I perform a compression test and check the oil for creamed coffee. It had been running very nicely and has 182K on it. The head job also included new timing chains and guides. It had not been using oil and had no smoke. Valve guides and seals were renewed and umbrella seals replaced. This truck came from Texas so it has no rust issues, good paint and interior and a spray in rhino bed. That is why we spent money to fix it.

Many of those 4.7s have very high mileage on them with no failures. Yes, the valve seats were a problem, but a properly maintained cooling system and in the case of the Grand Cherokee, a properly maintained power steering system (regular flush/fill, as it powers the cooling fan) can see them get to very high mileage. Part of the engine maintenance is, IMHO, a good quality synthetic oil to keep things clean and cool.

Sounds like a nice truck. Let us know what you find out.

See if it's the same cylinder bank. I've seen a few repeat blown HG,s. I had one on the Camry. My fault. Apparently I did not check the block properly for warping, although I had the head resurfaced.

Last edited:
I located a motor for $1000 and a place to tow it and replace it and bring replacement motor back (the core) to wrecking yard supplying motor from wrecked Durango same year. Install for $400. Guess that is what we will do. all but 2 of mine are stick shift and she can't drive a stick. That is her only vehicle.

What's wrong with the 4.7? My brothers gf ran hers for like 200,000 miles changing the oil when she remembered, which wasn't often. Ended up needing to add about a quart every 1000 or so, but I think it would have been a very reliable motor if she changed the oil regularly and more often.

My 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the 4.7. 205,000 miles and runs great. I have done the cooling system twice replacing radiator and cooling fan. I never let it overheat. That is key on these engines.

Went back to the guy that fixed it before and he is going to replace the motor with a used motor and check the flex plate for cracks and replace the rear main seal. He told me that his partner was into some stuff that made him very uncomfortable. Anyhow I am having him repair it again. He showed me several heads that had the valve seat issues. His guess was that high revs were the main cause of the seat failure. He guessed that when the head got hot and was revved high the seat would float out in the more expanded aluminum.

I have had issues where the FelPro gasket was made to fit several engines and therefore they made some compromises. The Mahle gasket I installed after the FelPro failed was made to fit a particular engine made for 6 years only. The Mahle gasket fit much better.

I'm no 4.7 fan boy, but I never really understood the hate for them. For a chain-driven OHC engine they're actually pretty decent. They don't really have any timing issues, however the valve seat and lifter issue is a real thing. Nice thing about the lifter's is when they pop out it doesn't usually do any damage. Valve closes, cylinder misfires.

I honestly think the overheating issue is due to inadequate cooling system design. The radiators in most applications is almost comically small, and the issue is made worse by the inherent problem of sealing an aluminum head to an iron block. If all these issues are taken care of, I actually really like the 4.7's. A WJ with the 4.7 is a (dare I say) sporty thing, for it's time. When the 545RFE is working properly, it actually shifts pretty darn nice. Plus, they sound good!

I'm actually looking for an easy project WJ to use as my next winter beater, but I'm looking for a basic Laredo with the 4.0 and Selec-Trac t-case.

You're right about the timing chain arrangement, They do last....Longer than the engine itself usually. But still overly complicated VS say a 2V Modular Ford.

Back