05 4.6 Northstar crank sensor re learn?

Anybody replaced the crank sensors on a NS?I was getting codes for both crank sensors I replaced them and the same thing.I dont have a scanner with re learn capabilites.I heard sometimes you dont need to do this.Still runs like crap??

Last edited:
If the "Crankshaft Position Variation Values" are not learned in the PCM......A P0315 will set. Just changing the sensors doesn't necessarily mean you'll have to do the relearn procedure though it is called for in the workshop manual.

There are different version of the Northstar in 2005.....What model, The 8th VIN digit, Along with what DTC's are currently setting will be needed for correct diagnostic information

its a 05 bonneville gxp 275 hp NS same as a deville i am getting A and B crank sensor and a generic crank sensor code same as before i replaced the sensors.

There are CKP Performance DTC's & CKP Circuit DTC's.....That's why I asked for the actual alphanumeric DTC's.

*Did you install OE AcDelco sensors?
*They're installed correctly? Black sensor on bottom, Grey sensor on top?

Next step is to verify Both CKP sensors & CMP sensor outputs to the PCM. Preferably with a scope but a DVOM can be used. It's a 12vdc to Ground Square Wave pattern on all three.

They are 30 something I will go scan.I replaced with aftermarket sensors they are installed correctly yes.I appreciate the help.

Back