03 Toyota Tacoma 3.4 Mobil DC 10w-30 3,652 Mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
03 Toyota Tacoma 3.4 Mobil DC 10w-30 this sample with Toyota filter (paper type) First interval factory fill 5w-30 with factory filter.

Blackstone Labs:

code:

Miles on unit 7,490 3,838

Oil Toyota 10w-30 5w-30

Miles on oil 3,652 3,838

ALUMINUM 2 6

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 6 12

COPPER 12 80

LEAD 1 3

TIN 2 3

MOLYBDENUM 4 42

NICKEL 0 1

MANGANESE 1 2

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 2 0

BORON 1 0

SILICON 34 173

SODIUM 1 3

CALCIUM 2071 1720

MAGNESIUM 6 5

PHOSPHORUS 871 694

ZINC 991 820

BARIUM 1 2

VIS 58.7 55.4

FLASH 385(F) 355 (F)

FUEL
WATER 0 0

INSOL 0.3 0.3

Blackstone's comments:
Nice improvement in wear and silicon. Both were high last sample due to break-in, and while the silicon is still a little high in this oil, the wear has settled right down to normal levels. We expect silicon will continue to drop in the next sample, and should read at a normal level by the fourth oil change. The viscosity was a little light for a 10W/30, but the flashpoint was good, so we don't suspect you have any fuel problems. No anti-freeze was found. At 7490 total miles, this engine appears to be doing well.

[ November 06, 2003, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Brent ]

quote:

Originally posted by Brent:
03 Toyota Tacoma 3.4 Mobil DC 10w-30 this sample with Toyota filter (paper type) First interval factory fill 5w-30 with factory filter.

So far so good.
Real good looking, making me wanna get another Tacoma.... Sweet!
Interesting how this will do BETTER... ???

How does it act? Does she Burn oil?

Mine always did since new.
Does she Tick>>????
I guess this is about the 4-5 generation, with Toyota on this engine, that means she should be real sweet.

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

How does it act? Does she Burn oil?

Mine always did since new.
Does she Tick>>????

No make up oil and this engine is quiet and smooth with plenty of power. I changed this oil a little early because I took an 1,100 mile trip with a 1,000 lb trailer up to St. Louis and back. The truck didn't use a drop of oil on that trip either running 75mph on the turnpikes. I have owned a lot of vehicles and this one is my favorite. It is a double cab with the TRD package. I plan to keep it a long time
cool.gif

While all of my old 22RE powered Toyotas burnt some oil half quart or less dureing OCI the new ones do not. My Dads 2.7 Tacoma has well over 120,000 miles and see'e 7500-9000 mile OCI with no UOA and no oil usuage at all. My Moms Tundra 4.7 V8 gets two - three oil changes a year and also does not burn any oil between changes. My new 4cyl Camry has 7000 miles on it and has not burn a drop of oil according to the dipstick.

It looks like the newer Toyota engine designs do not burn consume as much oil as the older designs.

I think 10w-30 offers better protection and the funny thing is, the dealer doesn't even stock 5w-30 even though Toyota says to use only 5w-30 in this engine.

5w-30 is just too thin and it is suggested only for fuel economy IMO.

The local Toyota dealer uses 10w-30 in bulk for customer services and for over the counter sales. They sell Toyota (10w-30), Castrol and Royal Purple oils.

Brent

Your numbers sure look a lot better than mine did for the identical vehicle. My numbers at the first change were 2 or 3 times the value of yours, at one third the miles. My second change, at 8K on the engine and 5K on the oil are roughly twice yours. I appreciate you posting these early UOAs.

I notice you call the oil Mobil in the heading, but Toyota in the UOA, and that the additive properties seem very similar. Was just wondering if you actually bought Mobil, or bought Toyota and read on this board that it is the same?

I'm no expert (still learning) and not trying to stir the pot here Brent...just trying to make sure I understand what the numbers mean. So....

Am I wrong or does 5w-30 and 10w-30 offer the same protection (ie the 30w portion) after the oil has warmed up to operating temp?

If so, then wouldn't the 5w portion of the multi-visc oil offer better flow characteristics than a 10w when the oil is cold?

That would be better protection (a start up) in my opinion.

Yes the oil is Toyota brand and the bottle caps are identical to the Mobil brand stuff. I use Mobil DC in our Pontiac Grand Prix and both the Toyota oil and the Mobil DC smell and look identical. I'll bet I'm just paying too much for the regular drive clean in the Toyota bottle at $1.99 per qt.

If I lived farther north the 5w-30 might be more important to me, but didn't the 10w-30 get close to a 20w?

Patman knows the viscosity numbers by heart so maybe he will put in his 2 cents.

This truck lives in a heated garage overnight in the winter so the few weeks of single digit temps we get per year should be ok with the 10w-30.

Normally manufacturers state 10w-30 is good down to zero degrees.

Brent

Nice report!
cheers.gif

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 5800 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 82900 Miles. (Switching to GC next)

Quote from Bonkers
quote:

Am I wrong or does 5w-30 and 10w-30 offer the same protection (ie the 30w portion) after the oil has warmed up to operating temp?

offtopic.gif

Yes but a "dino" 5W-30 oil will often not retain it's viscosity as well as a "dino" 10W-30 motor oil of the same brand and SAE grade. Some conventional 5W-30 oils will thin-out to a 20 weight oil fairly quickly. The same thing can happen to a 10W-30 motor oil but it will usually take longer for that to happen. Someone living in a hot climate like Phoenix, AZ would probably be better off with a 10W-30 conventional oil in the summer time rather than a 5W-30 convetional oil. A 5W-30 conventional oil uses a thinner base oil and more viscosity index improvers than a 10W-30 conventional oil. There are different types of viscosity index imporvers and some types break down fairly quickly. A 5W-30 conventional oil will sometimes use a better quality base oil than a 10W-30 conventional oil so in some instances there may not be much difference in the shear stabilities of the two oils depending on the brand. In a cold climate I would use a 5W-30 oil and not a 10W-30 oil in the winter. Now back to the topic.

[ November 07, 2003, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Definitely a great report!

When using a synthetic, I like the 5w and 0w oils, but with conventional he's making the right choice going with 10w30 since his climate can handle it. The 10w30 will definitely hold it's viscosity better over the interval than a 5w30 conventional would, as you can see from his results. The first run's wear was probably higher due to break in, although I bet some of the increased wear was from the 5w30 thinning out more too.

If you stick with this combo you should get a very long engine life.

I believe when we examine a UOA we are actually seeing how well the engine is put together rather than how well the oil held up (at least most of the time). I think this engine would make Supertech look dynamite!

If anyone doubts that Toyota, Nissan, and Honda build better automobiles...just look at our library of UOA's. In general...the proof is there.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ryansride2017:
I believe when we examine a UOA we are actually seeing how well the engine is put together rather than how well the oil held up (at least most of the time). I think this engine would make Supertech look dynamite!

If anyone doubts that Toyota, Nissan, and Honda build better automobiles...just look at our library of UOA's. In general...the proof is there.
smile.gif

In a lot of cases you're correct, especially when looking at Subaru reports, we generally see very low wear numbers from them no matter what oil they use! But some engines do have a history of high wear metals which can sometimes be brought down with the better oils.

"In a lot of cases you're correct, especially when looking at Subaru reports, we generally see very low wear numbers from them no matter what oil they use! But some engines do have a history of high wear metals which can sometimes be brought down with the better oils."

I agree. How could I forget Subaru....the king of them all!
cheers.gif

OK guys the Toyota dealer recommends 5K mile OCI for my 4.7 V8 using Castrol GTX 5w30. Think this is too long? I live in SW Missouri. Can get as high as 90's in the summer and as low as 0-10 degrees in the winter

I would use 10w30 in that motor. The gtx will thin a little anyway so might as well use 10w30 to 5000. Why the dino? If you want to extend intervals and maintain cleanliness I would go with synthetics. The synthetics could be stretched past 6000 easily.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8600 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 85000 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back