02 Grand Caravan...time for a coolant change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As noted, 02 Grand Caravan, coolant hasn't been changed. Pump went last year but they didn't replace all the fluid. I did read the previous threads but I am still unclear as to what to do? Just get a flush at the Dodge Dealer? (I can't try.. anything on the wife's rig.) If so, do I bring my own fluid or just go with what they have.

Thanks.

You can either have the dealer or a reputable independent shop do it, or do it yourself. You need to check your owner's manual to find out what kind of antifreeze the vehicle came stock from the factory with. I suspect its a G-05 antifreeze. Then check the manual for the recommended coolant change interval and do the change (I'd do a flush and change) at that interval. If you do it yourself, use the same type of antifreeze that the vehicle came stock with. I've copied the following from one of my previous posts:

As far as I know, there's two basic ways to do your own coolant system flush and antifreeze change.

A backflush kit from an auto parts store is one way. You put a T-shaped tube in a heater hose. You cut the hose and insert two ends of the tube. Then you hook a garden hose to the third end in the tube, take off the radiator cap, and turn the hose on. The hose water flushes out the system, out through the top of the radiator. When you're done you put a cap on the end of the tube that you hooked the hose to and leave the tube in place for later flushes.

As I see it, there's a problem with the backflush kit method. You use water from your garden hose. After flushing is completed, water from the hose is left in the engine part of the cooling system. Its best to use distilled water in your cooling system, because unlike water from the hose, it has no minerals in it that can cause problems. Yes, the problems are usually slight, and you CAN use hose water, but distilled water is better. When you fill the radiator so that about half of what's in the whole system (engine and radiator combined) is antifreeze, you can use distilled water if you still need to add water, but you still have the water from the hose in the engine part of the system. For this reason, I don't backflush.

I use the second popular method. I drain the radiator, fill it with distilled water, run the engine until the temp gauge has gone up enough to open the thermostat and mix the distilled water that I added with what's in the system, turn the engine off, and wait 10-20 minutes. Then I do that again. Drain the radiator, top off with distilled water, run the engine till its hot and everything's mixed up, turn it off, and wait 10-20 minutes. Since in a typical vehicle, about half of the liquid in the whole system is in the radiator, each time you do this you drain about half of what's in the system. If you do this 5 times, after the 5th drain only about 3.125% of what was in the system (water plus antifreeze) when you started is left. This is negligible, and the system is flushed. You will see that after five cycles the liquid draining out of the radiator is clear, indicating that the flush is complete and there's little or none of the water or antifreeze that was in the system when you started left in the system. Then you can put in 50% antifreeze and, if necessary, top off with distilled water. Be sure to turn your heater on hot each time you do a cycle, so that the coolant goes through the heater hoses.

To determine how much antifreeze you need to reach a 50-50 mixture, simply consult the Owner's Manual for the engine coolant system capacity and put half of that amount of antifreeze in the radiator.

Factory fill for that year Dodge is long life coolant. It is supposted to be good for 5 years or 100,000 miles. Even though it is Orange in color, it is the same as Ford's gold coolant. You may be able to find it as Zerox G05 in the parts stores.

It is old enough that I would change it now, even if it hasn't been 5 years or 100,000 miles. A drain and refill is probably all that is needed with that excellent coolant. I doubt that you could find any debris to flush out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back