01 VW TDI on Amsoil 5w 40 @ 9,889 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS - actually I answered the man's question about sulfated ash correctly despite your comment - assuming your answer is correct. My total percent was a tad off, but not by much!
smirk.gif

Hey no problem. Ted and I get along pretty fine - but whenever he calls me I'm mowing (How does he know????). I actually didn't know/remember you were running Delvac 1 (3 cylinder memory again).

I even forgot to post this example of a new CJ-4:

Amsoil DEO 5W-40

throwroses.sml

I remember loads of useless information according to my better half...;)

Mark,

I'd agree about the VW 505.01 oils being pretty average stuff. If you could get the VW 506.01 additive chemistry in a 5w-40 basestock, that would be an excellent oil...

TS

TR,

I see no real benefit to using these low SAPS oils in older TDI's...in fact I see no benefit to using them in PD engines. Once VW introduces their common rail engine with a diesel particle filter, you'll need to go that route.

The low SAPS oils are better for use in modern gas engines, however. So if you have a mixed fleet and want to use the same oil in both, this is a good way to go. See Busters post on the new (for North America), Mobil 1, ESP, 5w-40 which is a similar product to the Amsoil 5w-40/AFL.

TS

TS

Yes that's why I posted the link right above
pat2.gif

I tend to think the wear rates will be pretty OK with the DEO in older engines, but not ideal. It certain wouldn't hurt anything to do a run or two and get a UOA.

Was this oil by chance in the vehicle during late 2005? If so you may be seeing the result of High Sulphur Fuels. EPA Regulations on Sulphur Content was suspended after the Hurricanes in order to allow Off Road High Sulphur Diesel and Home Heating Oil to be sold due a shortage of LSD. Some of the fuel I bought during late 2005 was Bright Cherry Red indicated it was near 100% High Sulpur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back