'01 Ranger 4.0L Thermostat Housing Seal Leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Argh, I'm not looking forward to this job on the friend's 98 XLT.

Rock sells a Mahle part, which is what I will use. I replaced the T-stat and seal with Motorcraft parts a while ago, both were made in Germany. I think Mahle bought out Behr(the German radiator and thermostat maker, not the paint) and BorgWarner owns Wahler.

Originally Posted by cb_13
Replace the entire housing. Usually it is the lower portion that leaks. I was always able to replace the sensor o-rings out of a master o-ring kit we kept in the shop supplies section when I was a tech. But bdcardinal is spot on that Ford does not offer an exact replacement for the sensor o-ring.

Supposedly the 1W1Z-19E889-BB A/C o-ring is close, but I'm paid on commission and the techs don't like reusing the sensors so we sell the sensors/senders.

Originally Posted by Kira
To benjamming: You mentioned "2 sensors". FYI They are not!

We have one sensor (5v) and one sender (12v). Don't confuse them or interchange them.

Depends on model year. My 4.0 uses two sensors, exact same part number for both of them.

Originally Posted by nthach
Argh, I'm not looking forward to this job on the friend's 98 XLT.

Rock sells a Mahle part, which is what I will use. I replaced the T-stat and seal with Motorcraft parts a while ago, both were made in Germany. I think Mahle bought out Behr(the German radiator and thermostat maker, not the paint) and BorgWarner owns Wahler.

1998 Ranger has the OHV (pushrod) 4.0, not the SOHC. Thermostat housing is in a different location, totally different procedure.

The housing on my '06 4.0 SOHC cracked and started leaking at around 64k miles. Common problem. I bought the aluminum housing and it was worth every penny. If you buy a plastic one, even the Motorcraft one, it'll leak again eventually.

Originally Posted by exranger06

1998 Ranger has the OHV (pushrod) 4.0, not the SOHC.

The XLT in question here is an Explorer XLT. It has the SOHC.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by exranger06

1998 Ranger has the OHV (pushrod) 4.0, not the SOHC.

The XLT in question here is an Explorer XLT. It has the SOHC.

Ah, gotcha.
smile.gif
Yes, it most likely has the SOHC, but the 4.0 OHV was still available through 2000. I used to own a '99 Explorer with the 4.0 OHV.
On my Ranger I had to remove the whole intake manifold to access the thermostat housing, but I've heard that that's not necessary on the Explorers, since they have a different intake. It should be an easier job on an Explorer, but I don't have personal experience on those.

So, on my '01 Ranger 4.0L SOHC can you remove the lower housing without removing the intake manifold? I originally just assumed that you couldn't but perhaps you can. That will help me get a better list of parts ready.

Originally Posted by benjamming
So, on my '01 Ranger 4.0L SOHC can you remove the lower housing without removing the intake manifold? I originally just assumed that you couldn't but perhaps you can. That will help me get a better list of parts ready.

It's easy. No need to remove the intake manifold. On some years I do remove the throttle body. That takes 3 minutes. Then the heater hose,upper hose and bypass hose on the bottom front. Unplug the sensor wire.

Now the 3 bolts with the 8mm heads. Book time is like .8 so not even an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back