Most durable gas engines all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got through reading the worst engine thread so I thought I would look to the positive.

The B20e in my 1970 Volvo P1800 (Volvo red block) is impressive. 2L fuel injected putting out 130HP. 86k miles with long periods of sitting (10+ years in a field +30C summers and -30C winters). Compression is still within speck and in a OCI of 5k miles doesn't use any oil. Tough but rough (this ain't no smooth reving Honda.).

I know the Jeep 4L is an I-6 but the 4.9L Ford is also?

My friend had one in a Bronco (I-6). Tough engine for sure.

Quote:

I'd have to agree with the Ford 4.9 inline six

also Ford's 3.0 V6

and i have had good luck with the 4.6liter V8 Modular

Are you referring to the Vulcan V6 or the Duratec?

Quote:

Quote:

I just got through reading the worst engine thread so I thought I would look to the positive.

We've covered that too. Just a few more posts down...
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=0#Post768500

Only if you define Best by being Durable
wink.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I know the Jeep 4L is an I-6 but the 4.9L Ford is also?

You might remember it as the Ford 300 cubic inch I6

Or...if you're old enough ..a 240
grin.gif
Great engine. I owned an ex-Uhaul Econoline with the suicide hood/center ejection seat. I don't know how many times the odo had spun on it.

It's really funny how most the durable engines appear to be those that are the most boring too. I mean you can admire them for their stoutness and utility..but that's about it.

The 3.0L VG30 that was in the 88-94 Maximas. The car had plenty of other problems but the engines would easily go 500K miles with just regular maintenance.It was the best engine by far that Nissan has ever put in a car.

Gary,
You nailed it with that stoutness statement. Just look at all the UPS "package cars" that were powered with the GM 250 and later with the 292 cu. in. 6 cyls. from the early sixties until the late eighties. I put 170,000 miles on a Chevy P/U with that 250 - 6 cyl. Boring, BUT, a very capable and easy engine to work on!

Don't laugh, I'm serious here. Bought a 92 Elantra from a kid that went to Randolph-Macon. Put 85K on the thing going down and back to No. Va. for four years. Didn't know about timing belts. Belt broke, Fairfax Hyundai re-did the cams, valves and some tooling on the head. He sells it to me for 1175.00 in 1997. I added factory air, and Earl Schieb's and drove that sucker on oil changes DexCool, and three timing belts to 288,000 miles. I traded it in on the Hyundai I'm in now this Feb. When I traded it, it had just passed Va. emissions, burned no oil, and spent the last day of it's time in my possession on I95/NJTP doing a steady 65-75 all the way back to Va. outta Boston, 36 MPG, never breathed hard. 288,000 miles, bottom end. Hyundai/Mitsubishi 1.6 DOHC, 8.5:1.

I didn't realize that. I knew, at some point, it got an integrated intake. Had a better torque pattern then the AMC/Jeep 4.0 ..something like peak @ 1200 rpm.

It was a serious commercial/work horse engine. Side covers to service the lifters. Decent oil flow to it too (at least in the 240).

Quote:

The 3.0L VG30 that was in the 88-94 Maximas. The car had plenty of other problems but the engines would easily go 500K miles with just regular maintenance.It was the best engine by far that Nissan has ever put in a car.

VQ 3.0

No valve issues here...

Other than that, volvo reds and jeep 4.0 (minus RMS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back