Why so hard to find 0w30 locally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm lucky, I might see some AFE 0w30 at one out of 5 stores. Nothing in any other brands on the shelf. I don't understand why it is so hard to find. It seems like it would be available with all the vehicles that still require 30w oils. Only thing I can think of is that because no one actually specs 0w30, that people would be hesitant because it doesn't have a 5w or 10w in place of that 0.

That being said, I run SS0 0w30 Amsoil in one vehicle, and am a quart short. Its going to cost me 3x too much to buy one quart of Amsoil. Can I get away with using 1qt of the AFE 0w30 in there? (4qts Signature, 1qt AFE) My only concern is that these are two totally different style oils....

Our walmart carries Mobil 0w30.
Mixing the 2 oils wont hurt anything.

If it was me using Amsoil,which I have in the past,I'd make sure to order a extra quart or two just in case it's needed in situations like this.

I suspect demand is low.

Many of the new non-European cars are asking for 0w20/5w20, but most European cars want 5w40.

Go to Autozone they carry Castrol 0w30. If they don't have any ask the manager to order you some. Done.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Go to Autozone they carry Castrol 0w30. If they don't have any ask the manager to order you some. Done.

Except that Castrol Edge 0w30 is a "heavy 30" designed for performance applications and Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 is a "light 30" designed for fuel savings. Apples-to-oranges.

Can you get on AMSOIL's web site and find a local distributor?
The NAPA in Battle Creek has AMSOIL 0w30 all the time for ~$11/qt. My local Meijer has M1 0w30 every day for $6.80/qt.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Doog

Except that Castrol Edge 0w30 is a "heavy 30" designed for performance applications and Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 is a "light 30" designed for fuel savings. Apples-to-oranges.

Maybe more like Red Delicious to Granny Smith?

Perhaps knowing the application and duration of the current OCI (to determine the rate of consumption) would help in deciding a suitable top off oil.

Call amsoil and ask them contact info for local dealers. If you use the dealer locator on their website it only lists t3 dealers and not all the other dealers

I swoon. BITOGer without a stash?!?
smile.gif

Using that other oil will not hurt anything.

I've always found that ordering Amsoil 2 changes ahead works well.

If you can't find M1 0W-30 locally, you can always blend you're own since M1 0W-20 and M1 0W-40 are more readily available or blend TGMO 0W-20 and M1 0W-40 which would be my preference:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3024542#Post3024542

The other thing to keep in mind in your climate there are some light 5W-30's that will be just as light on start-up in the winter as M1 0W-30. Two examples are PP 5W-30 and Havoline Syn' 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
If you can't find M1 0W-30 locally, you can always blend you're own since M1 0W-20 and M1 0W-40 are more readily available or blend TGMO 0W-20 and M1 0W-40 which would be my preference:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3024542#Post3024542

The other thing to keep in mind in your climate there are some light 5W-30's that will be just as light on start-up in the winter as M1 0W-30. Two examples are PP 5W-30 and Havoline Syn' 5W-30.

M1's own 5W-30 is similarly light as well is it not? PU as well..?

Yes they both have the same VI but PP will be lighter overall since it's HTHSV is slightly lower. Are we splitting hairs? Of course.
My main point is that it's not cold enough in the OP's Detroit climate to benefit from M1 0W-30 over the light 5W-30s that are available.

The only 0w-30 I've been able to find in jugs is the devlac elite 222. So I bought a few. GC can be found in quarts but other than those I've not noticed any other brands.

I think the main reason is that few or no cars manuals ever specifically asked for 0W30 oil. So, the only people who go after the 0W30 are geeks, the kind who may post on this or some other automotive forum. On the other hand, recently, I started seeing 0W20 oil in Walmarts, of all places, here in Texas. Yesterday I saw four at one Walmart: QSUD, M1, PP, and Valvoline. Why? Many cars now specify this grade.

Still, I wouldn't have a problem finding a 0W30 locally, you just don't get a lot of choices. Walmarts usually have Mobil 1 AFE 0W30. Some auto parts stores also have Castrol's 0W30 (good oil, but that's a European formula, so do research if its right for you).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back