3.8 jeep oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
from what ive read on various jeep forums, the 2007-2011 Jeep wrangler JK's with the 3.8 are notorious for burning oil, and my friends 2011 is no different. he has 19, 800 miles on it, and it was changed at 18,000 using RP 5W20 and a Bosch d+ filter. it never makes any short trips, he works a 14/14 schedule, its driven 550 miles one way every 2 weeks then 550 home. lets just say the oil always comes up to temp and viscosity, never sits up or gets short tripped. its burned half a quart in 1800 miles. Most of the guys on the forum say they see less consumption with a 5W30 or 10W30. Would anyone recommend using a 30wt oil while its under warranty?

Half a quart after 1,800 miles is not bad. That's a quart every 3,000, well within the allowable level by Chrysler (which is apparently 750 miles to a quart). I personally wouldn't worry about it at that level, unless he just hates adding oil. He's getting fresh top-offs all the time so the additive level will stay strong.

In my experience with the 3.8L engine, you'll feel a difference between 5W-20 and 5W-30. The 30 grade will feel a little more sluggish in the engine. That engine really does nice on a 20 grade. The Royal Purple 5W-20 is likely closer to a 30 grade anyway already.

I wouldn't personally recommend anything other than what Chrysler calls for in the engine while under warranty. My family hasn't had great experience with Chrysler or Jeep corporate on warranty issues (my folks had to Lemon-Law a 2005 Grand Cherokee, and we had a bad experience with a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country). I would use ONLY what the owner's manual recommends, and keep records of that, especially if he's already experiencing oil consumption issues. If they get worse, he'd probably like Chrysler to fix the problem, and he doesn't need to leave any open door for them to slide through on it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
the problem was piston rings that were installed upside down at the plant in mexico

This was my understanding as well. Write a letter to Chrysler.

the problem was piston rings that were installed upside down at the plant in mexico

I thought that was the 3.6L Pentastar and not the 3.8L engine, no??

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton

I thought that was the 3.6L Pentastar and not the 3.8L engine, no??

Answered my own question .... I thought the 3.8L was built in Trenton, MI, but after searching a bit on the JK forums, I believe I am wrong. So, disregard my post.

Actually, one of the biggest reasons it uses oil is a dirty combustion chamber. Go to Chrysler, and get the cleaner they sell for it. My brother works for them, and he said this is one of the causes. It fixed my buddy's truck, and he switched to Synpower, and uses no oil now.

I would think Chrysler would have a recall for this not?

Originally Posted By: lexus114

tsb yes. recall no as there's no way to know which ones have the problem

Originally Posted By: lexus114

tsb yes. recall no as there's no way to know which ones have the problem

Your right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back