Tell me how good 'Royal Purple' oil is

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's synthetic, but I'd like to know what it's capable of for drain intervals and additives. I grabbed 3 quarts from AAP (clearance) for $2.95/qt. It's the SL formulation. What was special about the SL formulation and how many miles (roughly) can I expect from that oil on an OCI?

Previous owner of my truck ran RP. It's spotless under the valve cover. I mean unreal clean. My truck ran smooth on it and quiet. Don't know much more than that. I'm still interested in it.

Just used it for the first time on my 2006 Altima less than three thousand miles ago. Along with Royal Purple's filter. So it to early to make any judgement.

(Originally from Sturgis)

I have run Royal Purple for over 20 years( even sold it for a while years back )and it is my preferred product line for all vehicle fluids. The SL formula contained RP's special Synerlec additive( ZDDP based ). The SL oil was very good stuff.

OCI's with the old SL stuff were supposed to be good up to 12K according to RP. However, as with any oil it depends on the condition of the engine it is used in, how the engine is used( i.e. hard driving, towing, conservative, etc... ), and so on. I would say a safe run would be 10K. Without some UOA's I would not be comfortable going longer on any oil. I have seen the RP SL stuff run to 15K and have some life left according to a UOA. Again, 10K should be ok unless your engine has issues now.

Lots of folks on here who will say it is junk, over priced, etc... I disagree. It is an excellent product line in my experience.

Last edited:
Didn't we just have one of these threads not long ago? They all start and end pretty much the same. Usually the haters never used the product.

The point is simple and doesn't automatically indicate hate. RP is a fine oil, never really seen anything truly bad attributed to it.

But it IS expensive, and I naturally rebel at gimmicks. Purple dye in the oil is a gimmick. Then factor in that for most people any quality synth or even syn blend is probably going to be better than they need.

But we all waste our money at one time or another.

I don't hate Royal Purple. I just had a bad experience with it.

Sometime around '99-'00, NAPA Car Care Centers had a charity fundraiser...MDA I think
21.gif
....anyway it was $25 for up to 5 qts of Royal Purple and a NAPA Gold filter with funds going to that charity. Win win right? Donate to a worthy cause, get a crankcase full of synthetic and a good filter.

Except I started having valvetrain noise immediately. Lots of valvetrain noise.

My boss' Corvette had similar symptoms. I switched back to GT-X within a few weeks and it was immediately quieter. He switched back to Mobil1 and his valvetrain noise went away.

Probably just a one-off batch in an otherwise excellent product line. But you know what they say?: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. (Unless of course you are a certain former President, then colloquialisms escape you)

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I don't hate Royal Purple. I just had a bad experience with it.

$25 for up to 5 qts of Royal Purple and a NAPA Gold filter with funds going to that charity.

Except I started having valvetrain noise immediately. Lots of valvetrain noise.

Funny you mentioned the RP - NAPA Gold combo. Thats exactly what I ran in several vehicles for a long, long time. NEVER, never, not even once did I ever experience any type of "noise" or anything else detrimental. RP handled the 10K intervals with ease.

RP is an awesome product. Period.

I've used it in the Manual transmission and Diff on my BMW and had no issues but people on the BMW forum say to stay away from the engine oil. But many of them use RP Syncromax fluid and gear oil.

I might look into switching to an oil like RP or Amsoil soon. I used to do the 3k thing on conventional and then I upped it to 5k with my new sonata due to how many miles I put on it and how clean the oil looks when I drain it...now I put even more miles on so I am hoping to go to an oil for 10k or longer and I will have to figure out a good filter to pair that with. I know that both Amsoil and RP make filters as well but I was thinking of trying a Bosch D+ or Mobil 1 since I can get those on shelves at the local stores. I used RP trans fluid and loved it made shifts way better.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I have run Royal Purple for over 20 years( even sold it for a while years back )and it is my preferred product line for all vehicle fluids. The SL formula contained RP's special Synerlec additive( ZDDP based ). The SL oil was very good stuff.

OCI's with the old SL stuff were supposed to be good up to 12K according to RP. However, as with any oil it depends on the condition of the engine it is used in, how the engine is used( i.e. hard driving, towing, conservative, etc... ), and so on. I would say a safe run would be 10K. Without some UOA's I would not be comfortable going longer on any oil. I have seen the RP SL stuff run to 15K and have some life left according to a UOA. Again, 10K should be ok unless your engine has issues now.

Lots of folks on here who will say it is junk, over priced, etc... I disagree. It is an excellent product line in my experience.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=220119
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...1479#Post721479
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2262272
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=942166
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2411540

Now you see that RP is not some sort of superior lubricant to other PCMO's you can buy off the shelf. That is my greatest complaint for the price I have to pay for RP it better be "superior". That being said to the OP you paid a good value price, and I would be happy to use RP at the price you paid.

Looks like you "cherry picked" to try to show RP wasn't that good, but how many other reports did you ignore showing much better results? You also did not mention that several of these had other circumstances at play, such as "road racing" and habitually running one qt. low.

Even with that noted, there was good even in those reports, too. RP is a fine oil.

I am sure it is good and always wanted to try it, but I won't bite at the current price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Looks like you "cherry picked" to try to show RP wasn't that good, but how many other reports did you ignore showing much better results? You also did not mention that several of these had other circumstances at play, such as "road racing" and habitually running one qt. low.

Even with that noted, there was good even in those reports, too. RP is a fine oil.

Also "better" results that are equal to other motor oils is not better.

It is a fine oil. For 2.95 a quart would I use it. Yes. For 9 dollars a quart no.

From Royal Purple.
Royal Purple’s API-licensed Motor Oil combines premium base oils with proprietary additive technologies to create high performance motor oils that optimize engine performance. Royal Purple’s API-licensed motor oil delivers superior protection and improves performance in gasoline and diesel engines. Royal Purple’s API-licensed SN motor oil meets ILSAC GF-5 and Dexos1™* performance requirements.

No special procedures are necessary when upgrading to Royal Purple. Royal Purple recommends waiting until the manufacturer’s first scheduled oil change in new gasoline and diesel engines before upgrading to Royal Purple.

Superior? To what? Upgrade to Royal Purple? Upgrade from what? Used oil?

Royal Purple API-licensed Motor Oil is a good oil. But it is not superior but Royal Purple claims it is and Royal purple is a upgrade.

So from UOA's, tear downs, Fuel economy, and engine cleanliness. Is it safe to say the Royal Purple products work. Yes they do. But it also safe to say Royal Purple is not superior and a upgrade as proclaimed from Royal Purple themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back