2012 Chevrolet Silverado with Flex Fuel 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I recently purchased a 2012 Silverado 5.3 V8 truck. It only has 100 miles on it so far. I would like some help in choosing the very best synthetic/blend oil for this vehicle that is available in my area. I always change my oil based on the indicator, which usually ends up being about 5000 miles or 8000km. What 5w 30 fully GM approved oil [/b]would work best. I have heard certain oils range in viscosity even though they are all 5w 30. I have also heard some are better at others in protecting, cleaning and also creating a quieter engine.
I am considering the following oils that are readily available
Mobil 1 , Mobile 1 ext, Penzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, Quaker State Ultimate. Please help.

Go with whatever's cheapest, probably the Quaker State Ultimate. Any of those oils will keep your engine clean and well protected when doing 5000 mile OCIs.

+1 for on most cost effective. Read into another thread on the 5.3 AFM and oil consumption. I hope you do not have that problem.

Well I would prefer to pick one and then stick with it where I live they run sales a few times a year right now the Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 extended are the same as the others as they are on sale. Usually they are 5 bucks higher for a big jug.

This is my second silverado the first one burned maybe 1/2 a quart in 5000 miles using plain quaker state.

I have heard some people find that regular mobil 1 is super thin , on the low side of 30 weight while Mobil 1 extended is on the high side of 30 weight. The only issue I had with my last truck in 110,00 miles was knocking or noise on start up it was worse

I know the Mobil 1 ext is overkill if I plan to change at 5000 miles, however it supposedly has more additives to protect against wear and breakdown. The onsale price is the same as the other oils

Welcome aboard and congrats on the truck. Remember
to pick an oil thats Dexos 1 approved. I would also
change out the factory fill at around 1600km (1000 mi).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back