2008 Mercury Milan Tranny Drain/Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently completed two drain / refills on my wifes 2008 Milan, 3.0 L, V6. Currently have 65,000 miles on the car. This car has the AW-21 tranny. The owner manual recommended no tranny service until 150,000 but after reading alot of the forums on here I felt like it would be some worthwhile insurance.

Checked with my local ford dealer who wanted $9/qt for the 'premium' fluid spec'd. Did some research and decided to go the the toyota T-IV fluid which I got for $6. These fluids are both the mobil 3309 fluid and meet the ford spec. The atf dipstick in our milan actually had T-IV stamped right onto it which confirmed my findings.

The actual drain/refill procedure was really quite simple, probably easier than an oil change. The fluid that came out was rather dark purple/light brown looking...glad I changed it out. Kind of surprised that only 3 qts came out on each drain. Other forums that I've seen the drains were closer to 4 qts. I didn't jack up the front of the car at all...perhaps raising it would have allowed more fluid to flow out?

Also noticed that I refilled slightly less than what drained out initially. I checked the dipstick frequently while refilling and plan to keep checking it for the next week or so. Not sure what could cause that...perhaps it was overfilled initially?

Plan on continuing to do drain/refills with each oil change until the fluid begins to clear up more...then perhaps every other oil change.

I believe the manual says to change at 60,000 miles. I have an 08 Ford Fusion V6 basically the same. Where do you find the dipstick as I have never found it at least its not visible to me from above the engine like the oil is? Gotta ask how long did your stock battery last. Mine just bit the dust.
Thanks

Yea I'm actually not sure...too many cars are combined into this manual so it's pretty confusing to follow. Either way, I think 65k miles is enough to warrant a tranny drain/fill.

The tranny dipstick is located right by the brake fluid reservoir. It actually looks like a rubber plug from the top, not a metal loop or anything like a motor oil dipstick typically is. It is kind of hidden from view if you don't stick your head back there and look.

Battery was actually just replaced about 3 weeks ago. Electronics randomly flickered and the car barely turned over...drove it straight to the interstate battery shop nearby and they confirmed a bad battery with a test. Original battery made it 1 month short of 4 years...not terrible but I've had several go longer in other vehicles.

Well I went back and read through the manual and didn't see a transmission flush interval for the 6 speed auto. My Airbag light was flickering and I thought it would be an expensive diagnosis, but then thought that the battery might be the culprit.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
My Airbag light was flickering and I thought it would be an expensive diagnosis, but then thought that the battery might be the culprit.

Yup, exact same thing happened with my car. Was relieved to find out it was simply a weak battery.

I also have a 2008 mercury Milan V6. I have used Maxlife ATF for several drain & fill procedures. The transmission works very well. I also added a bottle of Lubegard Red. The shifts are more smooth and refined. With the Ford Premium ATF, the shifting was a bit more harsh. Either way, adding a bottle of Lubegard Red is a good idea.

DSteven said:
I also have a 2008 mercury Milan V6. I have used Maxlife ATF for several drain & fill procedures.quote]

DSteven, Do you recall offhand how many quarts you would replace during a drain & fill on the milan?

It is usually 3-4qts, generally closer to 3.25. I assumed everytime would be 4 and overfilled it once. The trans went to limp mode and the wrench and traction control lights came on. After checking, it had nearly 1qt too much ATF. The amount varies a bit depending on how hot the trans is at draining and how the car is jacked. After that lesson, I always do 3 qts, then carefully adjust the fluid level.

What kind of MPG does your Milan return? The one I drive varies a lot. Summer hwy is 29-33, winter hwy 26-30. City is 20-23.

I really like the vehicle; it's a pleasure to drive. I am curious as to how the 2.3 4cyl compares.

badger05, my niece has an '06 Fusion with the same engine/transaxle as yours. I did 2 back-to-back drain & fills at 30,000 miles and again recently at 60,000. The first time the fluid looked exactly as you described, but the last time it seemed to be in slightly better condition. I, too, used Toyota T-IV both times.

Originally Posted By: DSteven
What kind of MPG does your Milan return? The one I drive varies a lot. Summer hwy is 29-33, winter hwy 26-30. City is 20-23.

I really like the vehicle; it's a pleasure to drive. I am curious as to how the 2.3 4cyl compares.

I also have the v6 so my mileage is similar to the ranges you posted. It's my wifes daily driver about 15 miles each way in mostly suburban traffic. Combined averages are about 25-26 summer months and 22-23 in winter.

I agree with you, I also really enjoy driving the car. It's given us virtually no problems in the first 4 years of ownership (knock on wood).

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I, too, used Toyota T-IV both times.

Good to know it's working well for someone else as well. The guy at the toyota dealership was pretty surprised when he asked what vehicle I was putting the T-IV into.

My V-6 Fusion gets about 28 Avg on the Hwy at 65-70 MPH. City stop and go 25-35 MPH around 17 MPG or so. The computer is usually optimistic between 1 or 2 MPG. I have 16 inch tires and some Fusion and Milans have 17s

The transmission seems to discolor the ATF faster than usual. It doesn't have a filter; perhaps that's why. I really like using Maxlife ATF, as it is synthetic and rEcommended for Toyota T-IV applications. It was suggested to me to use Lubegard red if using the OEM fluid as the ATF lacks quality.

I have had this for 2yrs and it has been trouble free. I am not used to being trouble free as I used dodge stratus cars in the past, which suffered from AC issues, suspension, pwr window, ABS, transmission, etc etc problems!

My V-6 Fusion gets about 28 Avg on the Hwy at 65-70 MPH. City stop and go 25-35 MPH around 17 MPG or so. The computer is usually optimistic between 1 or 2 MPG. I have 16 inch tires and some Fusion and Milans have 17s

That's why I went with the I4. My local driving is 24-25 1/2., and with the 7 trips to Florida I have made, I get between 30 1/2 to 33 MPG at 72 MPH.
32.gif
Sorry

Last edited:
Does the transmission drain plug have a magnet or a gasket that needs to be replaced after changing out the fluid? Thinking about draining and refilling.

Does the transmission drain plug have a magnet or a gasket that needs to be replaced after changing out the fluid? Thinking about draining and refilling.
My niece's '06 Fusion has a small "button" magnet in the drain plug, but no gasket. It appears to be NPT so it wouldn't need one.

Do the drain & fill...your transaxle will thank you.

Yea I'm not sure if there was a magnet on the end of the drain plug or not. If there was it was pretty small and had nothing stuck to it. There was no gasket that needs to be replaced.

I also recommend that you do the drain & fill, maybe multiple times depending on your mileage and what the existing stuff looks like when it comes out.

I have about 44,000 miles on it and the fluid looks pink not too dark even though color doesn't always indicate condition. I do not have any shifting issues.

I have about 44,000 miles on it and the fluid looks pink not too dark even though color doesn't always indicate condition. I do not have any shifting issues.
The time to do transmission-fluid service is BEFORE you have shifting issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back