still confused with super tech oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my st is warren products so is that who makes the oil and bottles it or is that just who bottles it? If so who makes it? I'm happy with performance so far and just kinda looking to understand this better. Thanks guys

Unclear why you care. In this case Walmart buys enough that the stuff is blended to their spec/price point. And of course that could change when the contract runs out. Also they could dual source it for different parts of the country. And they could change the Walmart spec as long as it meets the SAE grade.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm inclined to think that a plastics company makes the bottle and that Warren makes the oil.

why? have you read up? lol http://www.wd-wpp.com/about-warren.html

Our Council Bluffs manufacturing facility, Warren Performance Packaging, includes more than 255,000 square feet on 7 acres along the Missouri River, just north of Interstate 80. At that plant, Warren blends lubricating oils and chemicals for automotive applications and makes plastic bottles. Packaging operations include the manufacture of plastic bottles (from 8 fluid ounces to 2.5 gallon) and the filling of such with lubricants and chemicals, as well as packaging in 5-gallon pails, drums, totes, and bulk transport loading. Much of the product made at the plant is packaged for private label marketers but a significant portion is packaged under Warren's house brands including MAG 1 and Polar

Our newest facility, Warren Northeast, has capabilities very similar to those at Warren Performance Packaging, with bottle production for its own use and for WSE as well as blending and packaging of both private label and house branded lubricants, all housed in a 240,000 square foot facility in Glen Dale, West Virginia on the Ohio river.

WPP makes an oil called "Mag 1". That is an excellent oil for the dollar. Supertech I was told by a rep is the same thing. When Supertech was cheap I bought it frequently. Supertech isn't inexpensive anymore and I buy per price point.

Just to add, that not only does Warren blend oil for W*M, so does Exxon/Mobil(XOM). Shoppers will know the differences by the shape of the bottles. The blue Warren bottles look like any other oil bottle. The XOM bottles have their taller leaner look like Exxon specific bottles.

Both oils are fine oils for evreyday driving and then some. Both oils are blended to at least the minimum spec set by the API. This/todays spec is a really good spec for our engines these days.

In most cases, it's all most shoppers will ever need in their lifetime unless your specific engine calls for something specific such as a 0W**, Dexos 1, Corvette/Cadillac, MB, BMW, VW/Audi or other European or MFG spec, etc. etc. etc. Bla-bla-bla

But if your engines like my own engines, only call for 5W** or similar, ST is OK/fine!

I don't want to confuse this with towing/hauling/snowplowing or high speed racing/traveling or even major extended OCI's. Then too will folks want something specific for those types of vehicle use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Radman
WPP makes an oil called "Mag 1". That is an excellent oil for the dollar. Supertech I was told by a rep is the same thing. When Supertech was cheap I bought it frequently. Supertech isn't inexpensive anymore and I buy per price point.

its still $12.88 for 5 quarts, thats still low to me.

When it ticks up to $13.88 ill just use Valvoline.

They have it for 11.50 where I am and I'm honestly impressed with it. I would like to see what they really use in it though

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
its still $12.88 for 5 quarts, thats still low to me.

Quaker State is less than a buck more.

Price advantage = gone.

The price gap used to be much larger. The SM jugs I'm using were $4.96 each while the name brands were 8-9-10 dollars a jug.

I'm currently running American XT which is a Warren product under private labeling. I've had no issues with it.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Yea but is Quaker state better? Qs is 12.88 buy me almost a dollar and a half more.

+1 Thanks for saying, you beat me to it.
smile.gif
My personal answer would be that i like XOM stuff more than SOPUS, and id save the 75 cents.
smile.gif
its not like its bad oil.

Ive never been too big on PYB a.k.a. QSGB. People say they have less MPGs than other oils, and are likely on the thick side. Also, PYB is the only SN 20W-50.... use 5W-50 or 0W-50 if you need that grade.

Dont know about the motor oil, but Supertech gear oil = MAG1 gear oil. Have their semi-syn GL5 in my Subaru manual trans since 15,000 miles ago. Shifts like warm butter, very smooth.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Yea but is Quaker state better? Qs is 12.88 buy me almost a dollar and a half more.

+1 Thanks for saying, you beat me to it.
smile.gif
My personal answer would be that i like XOM stuff more than SOPUS, and id save the 75 cents.
smile.gif
its not like its bad oil.

Ive never been too big on PYB a.k.a. QSGB. People say they have less MPGs than other oils, and are likely on the thick side. Also, PYB is the only SN 20W-50.... use 5W-50 or 0W-50 if you need that grade.

Historically, ST has been a decent oil and it get's the job done. I have always liked SOPUS products though and would rather spend the extra $.15 a quart.

PYB != QSGB. They are two different oils.

Regarding thickness, the SM info I have on each oil indicates QSGB 5W30 is 10.5cST @ 100*C and Supertech (XOM) 5W30 is 10.6cST @ 100*C. The XOM oil is thicker, but not enough to notice in your engine and probably varies between batches. The SN specs are probably similar.

As I said before, ST was awesome for $5 a jug vs the name brands at $8 or $10. It just doesn't make sense to me to not buy name brand oil for $.75 extra. If Wally dropped the jug price a couple bucks, I'd be back to it.

Just to clarify, Warren Oil/Warren Unilube (Coastal) is a different company and no relation to Walmart nor Warren Distribution/Warren Performance Products that blends & bottles oil for Walmart.

Originally Posted By: LineArrayNut

why? have you read up? lol http://www.wd-wpp.com/about-warren.html

Our Council Bluffs manufacturing facility, Warren Performance Packaging, includes more than 255,000 square feet on 7 acres along the Missouri River, just north of Interstate 80. At that plant, Warren blends lubricating oils and chemicals for automotive applications and makes plastic bottles. Packaging operations include the manufacture of plastic bottles (from 8 fluid ounces to 2.5 gallon) and the filling of such with lubricants and chemicals, as well as packaging in 5-gallon pails, drums, totes, and bulk transport loading. Much of the product made at the plant is packaged for private label marketers but a significant portion is packaged under Warren's house brands including MAG 1 and Polar

Our newest facility, Warren Northeast, has capabilities very similar to those at Warren Performance Packaging, with bottle production for its own use and for WSE as well as blending and packaging of both private label and house branded lubricants, all housed in a 240,000 square foot facility in Glen Dale, West Virginia on the Ohio river.

Well then I'm thoroughly impressed; they make their own bottles.
grin2.gif

Ok so if st is adequate and my car likes it how is it better to spend the 12.88 when I could spend 11.50 and get oil that performs just as good as Quaker state? I think we associate qs being better just because its a name brand.

for me its the low OCI interval (3K severe, 4.8K normal) and need for a good oil for turbo. then specific suitability for DI deposit concerns. I had bought the ST synth on a whim as it was deeply discounted for some reason. but I won't run it again... as per the above posters reasons. 100,000 miles warranty period is 21 to 33 changes so it pays to spend a little extra (and excercise due diligence to find good deals, this site helps a lot) to get a fair bit better oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back