WHAT OIL TO USE IN A 2011 FORD ECO-BOOST ENGINE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I NEED YOUR PROFESSIONAL GUIDANCE:
I just recently purchased a 2011 FORD F-150 4X4 with the New Dual Turbo ECO-BOOST 3.5 V6 engine. The Ford owners manual says to use a 5-30wt oil. So what is my best choice to use?

I want a 100% synthetic group IV & V base stock oil if I can.

I have numerous different exotic engines that I use different oils in such as, Mobil-1, Torco EGO 20-50wt, Redline 20-50wt and 10-40wt.& Rotella SYN. 15-40wt. for our Turbo Diesel truck

This ECO-BOOST engine is a power house at 3.5 liters and putting out 365 hp and over 420ft pounds or torque!

In our everyday Drivers we use Mobil-1 as you can't beat the prices at Wal-Mart. I change most of our daily drivers at around 5,000 miles and I use Purolator Pure One oil filters.

What is the best Mobil-1 oil for this application? I will do very little towing with the Truck, as I have a 2008 1-ton Chevy Duramax to do the towing with.

I want a good Group 4 & 5 oil that is 100% synthetic. Do I need to add the Zinc additive that TORCO has to offer?

Could I use the syn. Rotella 15-40wt Diesel oil? We live in SC and it gets into the low 100's in the summer.

Please give me your PROS & CONS for the oil you might recommend for this application.

Thanks a lot,
Glwbear
a 60's Drag Racer

my direct E-Mail is "[email protected]"

You're way overthinking this. Any name-brand 5w30 will work perfectly in your new EcoBoost engine; if you want to stick with Mobil 1, go right ahead as they make excellent lubricants.

M1 5-30 meets the Honda high temp turbo spec HTO-06. This spec is designed to reduce turbo bearing deposites. Few oils meet this spec, but I believe PP does as well.

I agree with tig,, I'd use a oil that meets the Ford requirement plus look for the HTO-06 spec. I think Mobil-1 5W-30 and Pennzoil Platinum are the only ones easily available that carry this specification.

I'd use the Pennzoil.
smile.gif

Mobil 1 5w30 is just fine, even though its catalytically processed groupIII.No, you shouldn't add anything to the oil.
True group IV would be Mobil 0w40.
Ester based group V would be Motul 300v.Redline, Etc.

I'm not too familiar with Amsoil,so I'll stay outta that area.

Last edited:
Mobil won't say what percentage of PAO/grp III is in the 5w30. That, and the 0w40 could be a group IV/V mix.Thats the only discrepancies I can find.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 5-30 meets the Honda high temp turbo spec HTO-06. This spec is designed to reduce turbo bearing deposites. Few oils meet this spec, but I believe PP does as well.

Those are the two I'd pick from.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
You're way overthinking this. Any name-brand 5w30 will work perfectly in your new EcoBoost engine; if you want to stick with Mobil 1, go right ahead as they make excellent lubricants.

Sorry, but would not M1 AFE 0W-20 be a good choice for this engine? Does EcoBoost not use 5W-20 to start with, or is it different from the turbo?

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Originally Posted By: scurvy

Sorry, but would not M1 AFE 0W-20 be a good choice for this engine? Does EcoBoost not use 5W-20 to start with, or is it different from the turbo?

Nope, the Ecoboost is specked for 5W-30...

Ecoboost is just a "greenie" term for turbocharger...

I think M1 and PP are both good suggestions. If you want to use Group IV-V oil after the break-in period, consider Red Line 5W-30 or RLI 0W-30. You don't need the extra zinc from Torco or HDEO.

Ford has torture tested this new 3.5 liter engine extensively, and it's durability under very heavy use was truly amazing. This advanced engine is the best of both worlds in power and mileage.

Use the oem spec grade oil in a good synthetic changed at the oem spec severe service intervals for your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Bruce T
I think M1 and PP are both good suggestions. If you want to use Group IV-V oil after the break-in period, consider Red Line 5W-30 or RLI 0W-30.

RL and RLI are fine non API suggestions but you're recommending a heavier oil than the nominally HTHS 3.1cP oil such as M1 and PP 5W-30s which are in line with the viscosity Ford is specifying.
RL 0W-30, RLI 0W-20 and RLI 5W-20 would be the more appropriate oils from those formulators being light 30wt oils with HTHS vis' in the 3.0cP to 3.3cP range.

I know you lean towards the "thin side" slightly more than me (although I'm a thin fan, too), but I'd rather have the higher intial HTHS for dealing with the heat of the twin turbos and the fuel dilution from DI. I'm interested in seeing future UOAs that show how hard these EcoBoost engines treat the oil.

No I'm not leaning on the thin side in this application but rather a HTHS viscosity in line with what it specified by Ford.
As you mentioned Ford has torture tested this engine and I don't see any reason to automatically run what is effectively a grade heavier oil than specified, especially for street use only.

During the warranty period it would make sense to initially run a Ford approved API oil and if the OP is so inclined run a series of UOAs to establish a base line trend. With that info', then make a decision on what oil to use.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Why not just use MotorCraft 5w-30? That is what was used during the Ford Torture Tests!

That would be too easy. OP wanted Group4 and above

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Why not just use MotorCraft 5w-30? That is what was used during the Ford Torture Tests!

That's exactly what I was thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back