Mazda M-V & Ford Mercon-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
have a question regarding these 2 fluids. Basically, are they the same fluid ???

Reason i ask is that the first time i bought the mazda m-v fluid, it said m-v on the bottles. from ford, its mercon-v. so far so good. now recently, on my repair program, it says that these 2 fluids are different, but some say its the same fluid. yesterday i ordered more fluid from mazda, now it says mercon-v on the bottles. so can anyone shine the light on this subject ??? is it the same fluid or not ??? thanks.

No they are not ...
There are many compatible fluids with Mazda M-V

Redline D4
Amsoil ATF ( Universal )

There was Mazda Service Bulletin saying to not use Mercon V for M-V Applications ...

Last edited:
Mazda M-V and Motor Craft FRN-5 is the same fluid. I went throug this a few months ago. I went with M1 ATF which is Mazda M-V compatable. Works great in my Fusion.

Originally Posted By: crazyman
just to add something, some bottles say M-V. some say Mercon-V, all from Mazda, with all bottles having the same part number on them.

How about some photos? According to the TSB, Mazda's part number for ATF-MV is 0000-77-112E-01, while their Mercon V's part number is 0000-77-120E-05.

Mazda uses BOTH Mercon V and M-V fluid. not confusing at all, which is why they have a spiffy color coded fluid application chart for us back counter parts guys.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Mazda M-V and Motor Craft FRN-5 is the same fluid. I went throug this a few months ago. I went with M1 ATF which is Mazda M-V compatable. Works great in my Fusion.

Not to be nitpicky but both the transmission and the motorcraft fluid are FNR5, not FRN-5.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: tig1

Not to be nitpicky but both the transmission and the motorcraft fluid are FNR5, not FRN-5.

Well, you knew what I meant.
34.gif

Last edited:
just called mazda, they told me mercon-v and m-v is the same fluid. just happened that they are changing the labels so thats why i have 2 different labels but with the same part number. he also said ford fluid is the same, as long as the fluid meets atf-5 specs, which i guess means m-v and mercon-v

Ford FNR-5
just called mazda, they told me mercon-v and m-v is the same fluid. just happened that they are changing the labels so thats why i have 2 different labels but with the same part number. he also said ford fluid is the same, as long as the fluid meets atf-5 specs, which i guess means m-v and mercon-v

They gave you the wrong info. Mercon V and Mazda M-V are differant. Don't put Mercon V it the Mazda tranny. The Ford FNR-5 is the same as Mazda M-V.

^^^what tig1 said^^^

I did a lot of research when my niece got a Ford Fusion and everything I found said Mercon V and Mazda MV are definitely NOT the same fluid. In fact, it was stated many times that mixing the two was bad juju, although it was postulated that doing a complete fluid exchange would be alright.

As stated above, Mazda MV and Ford FNR5 are the same fluid.

ok, because i am just wondering why both bottles, one that says atf mercon v, the other says mazda m-v, both from mazda, are the same part number then, but different fluids ??? just a little confusing.

also, on both bottles, it says "meets requirements for mercon-v"

now is it possible that the m-v stuff can be used in a mercon-v situation, but not the other way around (mercon-v instead of m-v) ?

So what do you want. I gave you the TSB from Mazda saying that Mercon V and ATF-MV are different, and you want to believe the dealership.

Unless Mazda has officially announced that Mercon V and ATF-MV are now the same, it can be just a packaging error?

Why don't you show the dealership the TSB and ask them when they became the same?

Do whatever you want with your car, it's yours not mine.

I would not use Mercon V, as others said already, they are not the same fluids, I would not trust monkeys from the dealership.

OP, read the TSB provided to you first, if you had, you would understand why the dealership stocks both the M-V and Mercon V bottles.
You see, the Tribute and the B series truck, that Mazda sells, call for Mercon V, everything else they sell calls for M-V, that's why they have both.

The part number could be just a miss-print since Mazda probably uses Motorcraft fluid, just like Ford, but of course they wouldn't want their customers to see Ford's name on the bottle, so they print their own labels and they probably messed up the part numbers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
As evidenced in service manuals, M-V is equivalent to Dex III.

interesting i have never heard this? anyone care to comment? mike

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The part number could be just a miss-print since Mazda probably uses Motorcraft fluid, just like Ford, but of course they wouldn't want their customers to see Ford's name on the bottle, so they print their own labels and they probably messed up the part numbers.

The mazda fluids are usually provided by Idemitsu, not Motorcraft/ford. That may not be true for the MerconV applications but I know it is true for the M-V.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
As evidenced in service manuals, M-V is equivalent to Dex III.

interesting i have never heard this? anyone care to comment? mike

Sadly, this is what BITOG has become.

A poster asks if fluid X fulfills the specification of his car. Someone will tell him that fluid X does not and fluid Y is the right one, with documentation from the manufacturer who designed and made his car.

Then the OP or someone else says why not - he cannot feel any difference between X and the stock fluid, so fluid X should be correct as well.

Then why waste people's time by asking what the correct fluid is? All he wants is a pat on his back and be told that fluid X meets the spec.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back