What coolant in Oldsmobile Alero 3.4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My niece has an 2003 Alero 3.4 GM engine, and I was going to change the coolant in it. GM recommends Dexcool, but when I went to buy some at local autoparts store the clerk recommended to stay sway from Dexcool because he said it causes headgasket leaks or some type of gasket to fail(???). I'm condused on what coolant to use. Or should I just leave the coolant alone and not change it since the car has only 55000 miles? Would appreciate your advice. Thanks.

It's the intake mainfold that leaks not headgasket. This is a can of worms with no clear answer. Dexcool, can be a good coolant if the system is tight and kept sealed. I would just drain it out and use the green stuff. I did that with my 99 Grand Am, but my 2001 still has the factory Dex, and no issues.

You will have to deal with the LIM gaskets at some point

you may find this interesting:

http://www.zillamotorsports.com/DEX/

Last edited:
I would recommend you leave it alone if there are no leaks.
You will get different opinions, but sometimes a small leak will open after the coolant is flushed.

When it does leak, there is lots of info available for you to do it yourself for about $250.00

You will find more info if you search on Pontiac Grand Am 3.4L LIM.
( Olds Alero is basically a Grand AM with Oldsmobile name )

-----

1999 Olds Alero GLS

I dump Dexcool with in 1 hr of owning any GM. I always use a G-05 formula (brand doesn't matter). That is what I suggest, a G-05.

Most '03 still have the problem intake manifold gasket. Actually all years do unless they have the Felpro gasket installed. If you had the replaced the gasket Dexcool would be fine. There's a chance if you switch to Green or even G-05, you will prolong the life of the original gasket or at least it won't leak as much as fast. You need to get all of the old coolant out though.

Thank you gentlemen for your replies. I will drain old coolant and flush system with water today, leave it with water next week, and next weekend replace water with Zerex G-05. I actually have 2 gallon jugs of G-05 which I bought for my 1997 MB E320 few weeks ago but will have to do the Oldsmobile first. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back