Tire Cupping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Discount Tires to get my wheels balanced and rotated on my 2000 Silverado and when completed, the guy tells me that my tires are showing signs of cupping. Looks like bulges in areas of the tire. Could barely see some raising in the middle section of tread. I am getting a vibration at right around 70 mph. I also am sure that all my shocks are leaking and need to be replaced. Are cupped tires dangerous to ride on? Will the cupping fix themselves after I get my shocks replaced? Thanks for any constructive input.

Last edited:
it is somewhat dangerous.. as the tire gets more cupped, which is due to worn out shocks or alignment or wheel balance, the cupping doesnt allow the full face of the tread to meet the ground, so you don't have 100% of the tread touching the ground, you are sacrificing some traction.

Now if you're in the dirt.. it would probably be somewhat beneficial!

no if you fix the issue with the tires chopping it will not fix the tires later......

once a tire devolps a wear pattern, it will follow that wear pattern the rest of its life........

it can actually effect other components IMHO..... thinks like ball joints and wheel bearings could take some extra punishment with the tire hopping along down the road......

Cupping will only go away if you fix the underlying cause and get a new set of tires or have the old ones shaved to equal depth if there is enough tread left to do that.

If the cupping isnt bad it will stay about the same.

if its bad it will just get worse regardless.

I had some goodyear rt/s that cupped and were horrid.
they were rotated at 5k and 10k and replaced at 14k

its dangerous as in you cant brake as well and have less control.

bad shocks will also keep the tires less in contact with the road so they are somewhat dangerous..
but not in the league of ... running on bald tires with cords showing or similar car problems.

Last edited:
The cupping will go away if you fix the cause. If your tires are severely cupped and making noise like off road tires then you should consider replacing them. It will just be greuling to wear them back to true by driving on them. If it is minor then you caught it in time. Do the shocks and rotate your tires. Check the strut tops/ shock mounts for being loose as well.

I have not found a shop that can "shave" or lathe a tire but racers do it and shops that can re-tread tires ought to have the capacity. That might be worth a look if the cupping is bad enough to make noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back