Volkswagen G 052 911 Gear Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a 75w-90 gear oil from my VW dealer for stock replacement (best for cold shifting so far, it must have some of those GC elf esters). Can anyone tell if it is a GL-4 or GL-5 from this analysis? Thanks!

All was 0 except the following -

Lead 1
Boron 1
Silicon 5
Sodium 1
Phosphorus 666
Zinc 4
Viscosity 14.53 cSt
Flash 410

Thanks Pablo! The funny thing is, the RP Max Gear smells the same and it's a GL-5. Are there any EP additives that work in a synthetic that's not sulfer based, like moly maybe?

Shoot, I just realized I put this in the wrong forum. I wish Blackstone would include sulfur in their analysis, I was hoping to definitively identify if this as a GL 4 or 5.

It is a GL4. Simply compare the VOA/UOAs of the other gear oils.

I'm surprised that there isn't a measured shot of any other 'protection' components. Boron/Moly... nil!

This, along with other dealer sourced fluids(like ford honey), are options for anyone looking for a 90wt manual tranny fluid and don't want MT90 or MTG.

Pablo, I was just wondering if there might be some additive other than sulfer that would make it a GL-5. I should have used a period instead of a comma in my sentence. It has been speculated that the factory fill is Castrol TAF-X which is a dual rated 4/5 fluid. If you search on the VW spec 501.50, it usually shows up as a GL-4+. I'm concerned that Redline MT-90 GL-4 might not have the required EP protection.

It's too bad you didn't get a Potassium reading.

This may be one of those majority Potassium Phosphate (K-P) additve packages dosed for Gl4.

Run a UOA and see how it fares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back