1996 Volvo 855, NA 2.5L, 5 cyl Amsoil ACD 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an insignificant amount of shearing, in my opinion. Now if it dropped to < 9 cSt, then it'd be something to look into.

I'm not an expert, but does the lack of VI improvers imply 90-100% shear proof?

10.5 to 9.94 is at the noise level. Oil could have started at 10.3 and had a little fuel in it or the lab that tested it could have been off.

Quote:

There are a few more explanations. Spec is 10.5 +/- ?, so it could have started at 10.2 - 10.3 or so. Measured at 10 after 16 moths in use. Shear? How about lab error?

Okay, that explains it. For some reason I was thinking the virgin vis of this oil was around 12.0.
blush.gif

Don't forget the engine in all of this. Great oil, but also a great engine that wears well. The NA white blocks are easy on oil. Still, a super UOA.

Adding only 1.5 qts across that OCI on a pre '99 is excellent.

G-MAN,
The ACD was in the mid 11 cSt, but this was back when the ACD was listed ONLY as a straight 30 weight. When it was labeled as a 10w-30/SAE 30 (about the same time as the SM/GF-4 specification came in with the ASL, ATM, TSO, etc.) the viscosity dropped into the mid 10 cSt viscosity.

Quote:

G-MAN,
The ACD was in the mid 11 cSt, but this was back when the ACD was listed ONLY as a straight 30 weight. When it was labeled as a 10w-30/SAE 30 (about the same time as the SM/GF-4 specification came in with the ASL, ATM, TSO, etc.) the viscosity dropped into the mid 10 cSt viscosity.

They still claim it's made with no VI improvers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back