Recent Topics
40K miles, no oil change, engine seized, Yikes!
by sasilverbullet
30 minutes 4 seconds ago
2004 Honda Odyssey Transmission Leak
by raffy
36 minutes 50 seconds ago
Trip in the Cube.
by refaller
Today at 07:36 AM
3M 39089 Fuel System Tune-Up Kit
by Newreet
Today at 07:04 AM
How to tell if an oil is sludging up from UOA?
by nobb
Today at 06:52 AM
CSF radiators?
by Falcon_LS
Today at 05:20 AM
What are we all running in our differentials ?
by Shannow
Today at 05:10 AM
Choosing a stabilizer bar
by Falcon_LS
Today at 02:18 AM
Many UOA show vis loss. New norm?
by wemay
Today at 01:33 AM
The tie seller
by Kuato
Today at 12:14 AM
[censored] Spark plug?
by DoubleWasp
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Best Stuff to Clean IAC and VSV
by BrandonVA
Yesterday at 11:37 PM
Newest Members
ron17571, eajones, Baldur, xc_racer, walken100
51998 Registered Users
Who's Online
104 registered (Bamaro, 1999nick, 4wheeldog, Bandito440, 3800Series, 12 invisible), 1430 Guests and 165 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
51998 Members
66 Forums
222627 Topics
3524150 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#952346 - 07/29/07 02:44 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: Kernel Potter]
Volvohead Offline

Loc: SE Pa
I'll put Schaeffers 7000 up against it at those intervals, and that isn't even a full synthetic.

#952347 - 07/29/07 03:54 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: Volvohead]
buster Offline

Loc: NJ
I kind of agree. If M1 EP is so average, lets see another company make a 15k mile oil and guarantee it and sell it practially anywhere. I'm not interested in "SUV, Sludge protection,Horespower oil". Wear metals could be lower with EP, but it's still a decent product.

#952348 - 07/29/07 05:00 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: Edmond]
Scottydog Offline

Loc: Danville, CA
Quote:

M1 is also big with the Corvette crowd because it's the factory fill oil.

Yea and the oil filler caps on C5-C6 Corvettes say "Mobil 1 5W-30". The average driver reads that and thinks M1 is required. Pretty sweet deal for Exxon/Mobil...
2009 Lexus RX350

#952349 - 07/29/07 05:11 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: Scottydog]
CBDFrontier06 Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Think of how much Mobil1 is sold to dealerships dealing with cars like the Porsche 911 where the owners are less likely to change their own oil, and therefore aren't inclined to do any research for a viable Mobil1 replacement. They just take the 911 to the dealership where Mobil1 is installed, done deal. They're making big bucks by default.

#952350 - 07/29/07 05:21 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: Kernel Potter]
VeeDubb Offline

Loc: Indiana
Quote:

What other quality synthetics are you talking about that can be purchased locally from the east to west coast and have a 15,000 mile warranty? I'd really like to see this list of synthetics that can not only do this but also make Mobil 1 look like an average oil in the process.

That's not the point. The point, which was clearly spelled out by G-man, is that Mobil did not test against other synthetics, but against dinos. Mobil 1 might very well be the best but that test stacked the deck so hard in its favor, it was virtually impossible for Mobil to lose.

It's as if lance armstrong claimed he is the greatest cyclist in the world and then proceeded to *prove* it by beating my grandmother.

-Mike Tyson

#952351 - 07/29/07 06:02 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: VeeDubb]
NHHEMI Offline

Loc: NH
I have been anti Mobil since back in the day when I sold parts and they 1st came out with their "synthetic" oil that was really a blend. Haven't trusted them or used their products since then. They have been crooked from the start. Add in how they are the biggest gas company raping us at the pump and I am surprised anyone uses their oil. I really find it amusing to read posts by guys on here who have just caught on to how crooked they are and that their oil is at best mediocre( compared to other premium synthetics ). I've been saying that for years and I always get shouted down. I love being right. :-)

Mobil 1 has become so popular for a couple reasons. Others have already touched on one reason and that is it is factory fill on many performance vehicles so many just assume it is the best. Actually, untrue. Just means they gave the mfg the best deal. The other reason, and IMHO it is the biggest reason, is you can go in to Wal-Mart and buy a 5 qt jug for just a fraction over the cost of premium conventional oils. Guys can buy it cheap so they do. "Why should I spend $6-$8 a qt for Royal Purple or Amsoil when I can get M1 for $5 qt?" Because, you will get a better product. Cost seems to be a huge factor foor most and I don;t get it. If you want to run synthetic because it is a better product don't cheap out and buy an inferior one just to save a few bucks. If you think that cheaper oil is better( like some do with PP )than all the more power to you.

M1 is decent oil although I have never thought it was as good as so many claim. I would never put it in the same class as Royal Purple, Redline, or Amsoil. I just never did understand all the hype over it? Guess whoever handles their marketing deserves a 400 million retirement package like their CEO got.

For me, I spend a little more and buy Royal Purple @ $5.75 qt. Costs me less than $10 more to use RP than M1 and IMO I have a far superior product. ExxonMobil and all their subsidiaries can go to blazes as far as I am concerned.

2014 Jeep Cherokee
"Latitude"
3.2L V6 4WD( ADI )

#952352 - 07/29/07 06:23 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: NHHEMI]
JAG Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
One of the great things about oil forums is the humor I get out of it. Many posts are as useful as hearing what kind of cereal you like most.

Here are my questions for you, NHSilverado. BTW, I'm not asking them to be mean. I'm asking because I'm curious and it is good for us forum members to be forced to think about why we think what we do. The process increases learning.

Why do you say the first Mobil 1 motor oil produced was a blend? At that time, there was no use of Group 3 base oils in synthetics. Using Group 1 as additive carrier oil was and still is in practice.

It's inevitable to think that certain oils are better than others. But WHY do you think that Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Redline are better than Mobil 1. Better in what way? Do you think all Mobil 1 oils are of similar quality and performance? Do you think all Amsoil oils are of similar quality and performance?

#952353 - 07/29/07 06:32 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: JAG]
buster Offline

NHS no offense, but you're really misinformed. Mobil 1 has always been a Group IV/V based oil until recently. Royal Purple is among the most over rated oils I've seen on this board and is not as good as Mobil 1 at all IMHO. You really should do more researching bc obviously you're not aware of the poor results RP has shown on here.

You seem to know or think you know what the engineers like Mercedes Benz etc. actually do to test their engines/oils. I will not say M1 is the best oil out there, but it's still a very good product (even by Amsoil's own testing LOL).

Formulations are cyclical. They go thru phases where sometimes they are great and sometimes they are not. Take pre-API SM Amsoil. Wasn't that impressive IMO. New additives/base oils are always coming around and constant upgrading is done.

Amsoil will be releasing a White Paper soon on gear oils and it will be interesting to see where some of the brands end up.

BITOG is a great site for learning, but's it's also created a lot of false assumptions.

Has anyone really ever seen an engine wear out using any oil? There are people running Corvettes to 300k miles using nothing but M1. One of them was tracked too. Until people experience engine failure, deposits etc. using M1, it will remain a popular oil.

#952354 - 07/29/07 07:12 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: buster]
06VtecV6 Offline

Loc: lonestar
I would venture to say as a market leader, more people are using it, atleast for certain applications but that doesn not mean someone else like PP and Castrol cant be price competitive and make less usage a reality for Mobil, especially with all the bad pub its gotten here at BITOG. For me, since honda uses Mobil from the factory and I parlayed that with using Mobil dino for the first 21,500 miles, trying M1 full syn was probably an inevitable occurrence but not quite. I would almost say Mobil 1 is essential to try if you have a Honda/Toyota given some reports here that it works well in Toyota and now my testimonial that it works well in my Honda anyway. It just revs so freely and my ride loves to rev so its a happy co-existence.

Edited by 06VtecV6 (07/29/07 07:20 PM)

#952355 - 07/29/07 07:14 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: buster]
tenderloin Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Talk about misinformation and stretching the truth? Some here throw out M1 is 5 times the price of conventional oil and try and compare M1 at 15,000 miles to 5 3,000 mile OCI's with dino. At the vast majority of outlets dino is well over $2 a qt.. even pushing the mid to near $3 mark.... blends well over $3 a qt. M1 EP is around the $7+ range.

Where is the 5 times price advantage that is bantered about so much here?

While many here buy oil on sale and use rebates IMO most people do not. Isn't comparing M1 at full price to any other oils bought on sale and after a rebate just as sleazy and dishonest as what many complain Mobil does?

Also I have seen as have others a price drop at WalMart on M1, .putting it priced less than all other major synthetics besides PP...but how often is that mentioned by the M1 is high priced bashers?

Don't like XM or Mobil 1? No problem here. It is just amusing how this gets so twisted.

#952356 - 07/29/07 07:27 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: tenderloin]
buster Offline

XOM tested M1 in harsh Vegas/dusty/heat/stop and go conditions, did tear downs, but people whine and complain about it. Amazing. Where are the other tests from other companies? I give Amsoil credit for their testing.Which btw, shows M1 to be a very good product.

The others in the mean time are releasing "adaptive molecule oils, SUV oils, super sludge protection oils and torture tests..oh and 4-ball wear testing". Don't people see a problem with that?

#952357 - 07/29/07 07:31 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: buster]
Triple_Se7en Offline

Loc: 1/2 hr. north of Detroit
Didn't Amsoil use some of Mobil's base oil? Aren't they still using it today? That could partially explain why Amsoil gives Mobil high grades.

I like Mobil-1. I just don't like the people running it.

#952358 - 07/29/07 07:37 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: Triple_Se7en]
CBDFrontier06 Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I think if there's been a noticable downward trend in the number of Mobil1 users, it could very well be due to more people educating themselves about Mobil1's standing against comparable, but lesser priced alternatives. Thanks to some BITOG members submitting their UOA results from using Penzoil Platinum, I'm a convert whereas before I wouldn't have touched a Penzoil product with a 10 foot dipstick. When's the last time you saw a really good sale price on Mobil1? I haven't seen any and believe me I look. Conversely, I'm taking full advantage of Pep Boys' and Penzoil's promotions. I have nothing against Mobil1, as I think the results have spoken for themselves (except the occasional claim about the infamous Mobil1 noise) but hey....a bargain is a bargain no matter who you are.

#952359 - 07/29/07 08:01 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: buster]
Bill in Utah Offline

Loc: UT
Quote:

XOM tested M1 in harsh Vegas/dusty/heat/stop and go conditions, did tear downs, but people whine and complain about it. Amazing. Where are the other tests from other companies? I give Amsoil credit for their testing.Which btw, shows M1 to be a very good product.

The others in the mean time are releasing "adaptive molecule oils, SUV oils, super sludge protection oils and torture tests..oh and 4-ball wear testing". Don't people see a problem with that?

I just got back from Las Vegas and even looked/talked to some cab operators (the ones who spoke clear english) and guess what, they use normal oil (bulk 10w-30 mostly according to the window stickers) and most of the cabs have high milage. (WELL over 150k on the dozen I saw/rode in)

Syn is not needed and even more, a "test" that showed NOTHING. Syn oil every 15k vs conventional every 15k.

The Syn oil showed varnish in their tests. The conventional oil (which most use) changed more often gets the job done. At a lower cost.

They seem to change around 6k I gather.(the window sticker just showed the mileage and type of oil, no date since I'm sure they don't worry about time)

I guess if you want to spend the $$ for syn, go ahead. BUT for the most part, your not going to see any benfits from it. When someone hits your car, the insurance company will not give you any more $$ because you ran syn oil. The engine will last either way.

I will not fall for D U M B marketing. The Las vegas test and now the Castrol syn 29% more power longer ad is right up there.

Love the idiot who sits there drinking the soda and his "not any more" comment when asked is that not the oil that you use?

Yeah, we all run our cars on rollers.

Amazing.

Buster, how is it that most of the cars on the road are making high mileage without running HM oils or Syn? And you know just as well as I that they are NOT getting changed every 3k or 3 months.

Any company who does this test or that test is doing it for one reason, to SELL stuff. Good for them. But always take a look at the bottom line.

I look at what has worked for me for the last 30 plus years. And knowing that todays oils are FAR better than the stuff I used in the 70s and got hundreds of thousands of miles with. (and remember that I have run syn and done UOAs to see if there is a difference)

I know some think that a $20 UOA is useless until it shows their oil having low wear. Then its the cats meow. But for me is that I've seen many an engine make 200k + with normal oils.

With your Honda, 7,500 miles on GTX, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc would be no problem.

The cars that we see having problems would have had problems with no matter what oil you run. My 99 Taurus for example...

Take care, bill

#952360 - 07/29/07 08:08 PM Re: Mobil 1-Less people using it? [Re: Bill in Utah]
buster Offline

Quote:

The conventional oil (which most use) changed more often

Bill I don't disagree at all. I understand your postion and absolutely agree. I know for a FACT that regular oil at moderate drain intervals is as good as a synthetic in most conditions.(non-turbs/heat/cold etc) Absolutely. All I'm saying is, if time is that valuable to you, you have another choice. To really see the benefit though with synthetics, you have to use them for at least 12k miles to call it worthwhile. Right now bc I'm driving so much, I'd rather spend a bit more and feel safer going 12k miles per drain interval. At some point I'm sure I'll use regular oil again. Let's not forget Mobil sells other oils and not just M1 EP.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >