Igniter malfunction - P1300 code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car threw a P1300 "igniter circuit malfunction" code this morning. Car is a 1995 Toyota Tercel, DIS ignition system with two coils & no distributor. I've noticed a split-second misfire a couple of times when hammering on the gas after upshifting.

Are these things known to wear out when they get old, or is it more likely a wiring issue? I can't simulate the problem by rocking connectors or jiggling wires. It has a good clean ground.

Any other symptoms I can watch for? Is this likely to get worse fast?

Any input appreciated.

I can't give you any technical tips, but I'd get that part replaced before it leaves you stranded somewhere. If memory serves, the car won't run if the ignitor goes belly up.

Yes, ignitor is known to become intermittent over time. Given the fact that your vehicle is over 11 yrs young, assuming that you want to keep it a bit longer, might as well have it replaced.

And no, you won't be able to simulate this by wiggling connectors and wires, assuming that it's the module at fault and not the connectors.

Getting worse fast? Well, nobody knows when it will fail on you completely (until you are left stranded on the side of the highway one faithful early morning/evening).

Just get a new one and be over with it.

Thanks, guys. I definitely do want to keep this car for a long while as I've already rebuilt the engine and replaced tons of other parts. Very fuel efficient and easy to work on.

I lucked out big time today, I found a 1995 Tercel in the junkyard with an igniter that MUST have been replaced quite recently. Everything around it was FILTHY and it was squeaky clean. Took that, cut out the connector for it leaving some nice long wires in case it comes to that. And my formerly bare trunk is now fully carpeted, all this for $20. Brand new igniters are priced over $300 for this car.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back