Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I can't argue with facts, but I do think it does what it says... and that is to help cold start ups. It made a big difference in my car as far as that goes.

Explain what you mean about the VOA being bad. I've read these forums for months, but still have much to learn.

I am far from a pro on reading VOA's just what i learn on here, but to me it seems there's nothing in it(add's) to help anything out, unless the base is some good stuff or
something,
dunno.gif
dunno....

One the bottle, it says 100% petroleum. I just feel that it is good for cold start ups, at least. It says it helps to stop smoking and renew worn seals, but who knows? It does slow oil consumption. I have a 94 Ford Thunderbird LX with the 4.6 OHC V8, and they used oil from the factory, but I can say that the Lucas extremely slows that. I just feel that if it's helping and not hurting, I might as well use it.

Yep i hear ya
smile.gif
, well like i said if you think it's working in your car use it, have you ever tryed a synthetic
to see how start up's are?

I'm afraid to switch to synthetic. I would run it in everything, but I've heard too many horror stories of synthetics breaking up the old burnt/sludge from conventional oils and then that going through your motor, and then stopping up bearings, etc, etc.

Is there ANY truth to that?

I to have used it in all of my vehicles, I have friends who I have told about the VOA and they still swear it works (hard to argue when 200K+ miles doing the same thing). Maybe as a additive at a lower % than suggested with a blend of CD-2 or SLOB and there may be something??? but then again your into junior chemistry and your lab is a 5K test beaker??

Pablo...I have a guy who has used Amsoil from the beginning (after 5k) breakin) and has used LOS 20% in tranny, power steering,motor oil and front/rear diff and he does extended oil changes...Is he asking for trouble seeing the VOA listed earlier??

There is near zero additives in the product, the visc is really heavy. When following the instructions on the bottle one would assume that a 20% blend of LOS and oil should reduce the aditive package equally.
If you look at the VOA I did on the blended version you will see that the oil visc is high, some others have posted virgin Rotella T VOA and you see a 30-40 differance in visc @ 210 degrees vs my blend...now my statement would be since I live i Florida and we have very very few near zero cold starts and large amounts of high temps 75+, does it really matter?
I am getting ready to send in my UOA on my truck using the same blend and we can look at vs VOA and everyone can post their thoughts.

Quote:

I'm afraid to switch to synthetic. I would run it in everything, but I've heard too many horror stories of synthetics breaking up the old burnt/sludge from conventional oils and then that going through your motor, and then stopping up bearings, etc, etc.

Is there ANY truth to that?

No,,a synthetic oil isn't going to break up sludge that fast
to do any harm,over the years i've done it many many times
when i first got my '99 chev p/u the first thing i did
when i got her home was dump the dinno out and put in
nice fresh Mobil-1, and the truck had 191k on it, no
problem at all no leaks or nothing, switch and be happy.
smile.gif

Well, I might do it. It's for a 1994 Thunderbird LX. It runs perfect. It's the 4.6 OHC V8. Also, I want to switch the notoriously sludging 2.7 Chrysler engine in my family to synthetic.

What should the viscosity be? High 60's or something without the LOS? Looks like I'm not going to use this stuff anymore. I didn't know it made the oil THAT thick. I'm just here to learn.

Then what are these numbers listed about at the beginning of the thread here:

Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3 FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

Rotella T / LOS 5 to 1 blend
TBN - 8.5
Visc - 115.4 FP - 420
Boron - 17
Silicon - 2
Calcium - 1442
Magnesium - 7
Phosphorus - 604
Zinc - 817

Is that at 40C or something? According to http://63.240.161.99/motoroil/oildatasheets.html that AEHaas showed me, the 10w-30 GTX viscosity is 72 @ 40C. That 5:1 Rotella/Lucas mix showed a 115.4 viscosity. I guess that is at 40C. I'm just learning all of this... sorry if I'm noobish.

So, if that is the viscosity at 40C, then my 72 has also probably risen to around 110 - 130. I can't seem to find what type of rotella was used in the sample above in this thread. But, if that's correct, doesn't that mean that the lucas is turning my 4:1 (5 quarts total) GTX 10w-30/Lucas mix into the equivilancy of a 15w-40 or 20w-50 mix?

It says it helps cold starts because it forms a layer over all the moving parts. I see that good in a way, but I don't want that thick of an oil running through my engine.

But, wait, if that is at 40C, I'm really curious to know what a mix like mine, or the original mix of Rotella/Lucas above, has a viscosity of at 100C. Do you think it changes my 10.6 to maybe just a 10.8, or is it the type of additive that would make my oil around a viscosity of 20 @ 100C??

I'm about to go drain it out right now! It's got me worried... although I have been using it for awhile and like the way the car operates with it. I'm glad I have been reading this site, but it is inducing a lot of stress on me. :)

So, what is the cst equivilency of 115.4 SUS @ 100C? Is that around 24??? MY #@$%! that's some thick oil at 100C!!!

I'm so glad I found this site. I don't think I'll ever put that stuff back in my engine. Maybe a badly worn, smoking engine. It says it's for new engines and worn engines alike. It practically makes a 10w-30 a thick 20w-50 or higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back