Does 2 cycle oil really go bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on how old. Maybe how it's stored, and/or the quality of oil to start with.
I have a cheap quart of 2 cycle oil that I use for odd mix amounts, usually a 1/2 gal at a time. I use small bottles or pouches that are just right for one gallon mixes otherwise.
That quart has been on a shelf for 5 years or more.
Mower runs fine.

Seems that some 2t oil is a bit "difficult" even when fresh. Some TCW3 outboard oils can't be mixed with other tcw3 oil without gelling for example... I have used some husqvarna oil for the weeder and chainsaw, the oil was ca 15 yrs old but unopened- No problems at all. Anther bottle of same oil, opened, showed some strange lumps floating around. Probably moisture ruining it.
I suppose that many oils would be ok even if old if stored properly. The only thing I can think of is the additives deteriorating or dropping to the bottom of the bottle. The oil itself is not breaking down over time, ask the dinos...
Look at the oil. If it looks like new, use it. Else... dump it.

Ditto above.

I have used some very old 2 cycle oil without any problems.

In fact, if it looks OK, it probably is.

Chris

yep, we had some echo oil that was probably 15 years old, and it worked great in the weedwacker.

Considering what was used in the days of old (30wt motor oil hand mixed into gasoline), I suppose that even the oldest junkiest 2-ccle oil is still good stuff that will do great.

JMH

Bill has a point. If you are running a very high tech 2T, don't use the older oil. Use the oil with equivalent (old) engine types: Old chainsaw oil for general type saws and weeders and such.
Not for oil injected, electronically controlled engines of any kind since they may have been designed for newer oils.
Same with outboard oils-Not in air cooled engines unless specified on the oil. (may be ok with some older oils...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back