Newest generation Civic has an ATF life monitor..

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about time. I'm always amazed at the level to which automatic transmissions are neglected by manufacturers and even fanatical 3k mile oil changers.

I guess honda got sick of replacing transmissions in TL's and Odysseys. This is a very large step in the right direction. I'll be really interested in knowing what the average recommended interval is.

Any idea on the algorithm used or is it mileage only based? They need this in their Accords as well. Do they still print the normal/severe service intervals in the manual or is it by OLM only? Hopefully the OCI is shorter than what is stated in my '02 Accord: 60k miles severe, 120k miles normal for first change & half that thereafter.

Do they have a filter like the '05 (or is it '03) & upward Accords?

Dunno much more. Saw it in a September 2005 Honda Service News. It was in an article about Honda's maintenance minder system.

"ATF - the ATF should be replaced every
30,000 miles if you use the vehicle mostly for
towing or you drive in mountainous areas.
This doesn’t apply if the vehicle has ATF life
monitoring. The ’06 Civic is the only vehicle
that monitors ATF life at this time."

I posted about this several months ago...

I've seen on the greenhybrid forums that some people have had a fluid change done (code 3) as early as 25,000 miles. This was with the CVT transmission though, using the new CVT only fluid.

With the TLs, the new Maintenance Minder is calling for an ATF change about every 60k for most drivers. But the TL does not have an ATF life monitor.

The TL/Accord/Odyssey disaster was related to poorly designed clutches. The problem was completely unrelated to fluid.

I know this has been discussed before, but which models/years had the tranny problems. I have a 99 2.3L Accord auto. should I be worried?

I don't remember all of the vehicles, but here are the ones that are sticking out in my mind:

99-01 Odyssey, 4-speed auto
99 TL, 4-speed auto
00-03 TL, 5-speed Auto

Those three are notoriously problematic

01-02 MDX
98-02 Accord V6

Those two are somewhat problematic, but not as likely to be compared to the first group.

I don't know about the 99 4-cyl specifically. I recall the warranty being extended on some 98-02 4-cyl models, but I really don't remember which ones exactly.
frown.gif

TSB 02-062 dated Feb-25-2003 extended the warranty on the 4-speed transmissions (including solenoids) and the torque converter to 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. This SB applies to the '00-'01 Accord, Odyssey, and Prelude automatic transmissions.

It did not make a distinction between the 4 cylinder & V6 except the Accord V6 is allowed an extra half hour to replace the torque converter.

However, the 99 model year was also affected from reports read on Honda forums. Also, it appears that the V6 may have been more prone to failure during the 6th generation after reading the forums.

So far only the Civic - last I heard, it's the other Hondas that have big tranny problems! Why not start with the problematic Honda automatic tranny vehicles such as the Accordion/Odysseus?

So, what does the transmission fluid life monitor manifest itself as in the new Civic? Is it an idiot light on the dashboard that glows amber with the words "TRANNY SURPRISE!"?

Quote:

So, what does the transmission fluid life monitor manifest itself as in the new Civic? Is it an idiot light on the dashboard that glows amber with the words "TRANNY SURPRISE!"?

The latest Civic has a Maintenance Minder system. When the Oil Life remaining drops down to 15%, a "Service Due Soon, 15% Oil Life remaining" will appear in the driver information center. There will also be a series of codes indicating what services need to be done:

Main Codes:
A- Oil Change
B- Oil Change, brake inspection, suspension inspection, exhaust inspection, fluid top-up

Subcodes
1- Tire Rotation
2- Engine and Cabin Air filter
3- Transmission Fluid
4- plugs
5- coolant

So, if the ATF needed to be changed, the subcode 3 would be listed as one of the services that needed to be performed in conjunction with either main service A or B.

Brilliant marketing.... a salesman can promise a car that goes and goes, and a "30k mile service" is just spark plugs or whatever. Then someone comparison shopping maintenance schedules (like mfr's like to believe) would not be able to pin this down...

Personally I think they should come up with a "timing belt service" light that takes into account total revs, cold starts, extreme heat, and whatever else breaks the things down. With a better than 15% warning spot too BTW.

Better an ATF fluid monitor than a "Replace Transmission Soon" light.
laugh.gif

Ditto Jim 5's remarks, "I'm always amazed at the level to which automatic transmissions are neglected by manufacturers and even fanatical 3k mile oil changers." My hunch is that more vehicles are junked for transmission failure than for engine failure these days. My '98 Taurus, just bought in January, has the notorious AX4N transaxle. You'd better believe I'm doing regular fluid changes with synthetic in that one. (Got to say that I do miss my stickshifts.)

I too just bought a 99 accord ulev/vtec 2.3L w/auto tans, and joined on here to discuss this same problem (good timing!) the AT problem was pinpointed to two things

Via H-T.com
a. Differential bearing failure- usually indicated by the axle seals leaking. the reason is Differental bearings were made from substandard parts

b. 2nd gear clutch pack failure- usually indicated by lack of second gear, excessive slipping in other gears, car redlines before shifting, delayed shifting (car hold current gear way longer than it should the reason is gear clutch pack does not receive proper lubrication

The recall was for 2000/01 6th generations.

So being without a warrenty, I want to change the ATF(auto trans fluid? don't know the "lingo" yet) as soon as I can, would over filling it a bit help the second gear at all? Is there a post regarding what fluid to use and how to flush the tans?

thanks. i know i am a noob, but please help.

Quote:

I too just bought a 99 accord ulev/vtec 2.3L w/auto tans, and joined on here to discuss this same problem (good timing!) the AT problem was pinpointed to two things

Via H-T.com
a. Differential bearing failure- usually indicated by the axle seals leaking. the reason is Differental bearings were made from substandard parts

b. 2nd gear clutch pack failure- usually indicated by lack of second gear, excessive slipping in other gears, car redlines before shifting, delayed shifting (car hold current gear way longer than it should the reason is gear clutch pack does not receive proper lubrication

The recall was for 2000/01 6th generations.

So being without a warrenty, I want to change the ATF(auto trans fluid? don't know the "lingo" yet) as soon as I can, would over filling it a bit help the second gear at all? Is there a post regarding what fluid to use and how to flush the tans?

thanks. i know i am a noob, but please help.

I'm pretty sure the oil jet retrofit is supposed to correct the 2nd gear clutch pack lubrication problem. Check with your dealer, it's a free upgrade. I got that done on my '00 3.2TL.

ATF drain and fill is basically all the maintenance you can do on these Honda transmissions and it's an easy job. The trans has a drain plug that makes draining easy. Of course it doesn't drain the T/C; on my car, ~3 qts of the 7.6 qts total drains out. Refill the amount of ATF drained through the fill plug or dipstick tube and you're done.

Up until recently I would have suggested you use only Honda ATF-Z1 available at the dealer or online. Six or so months ago (as a result of BITOG) I switched over to Amsoil ATF and I can report no problems, so far. Many others are also using Amsoil ATF in their late model Honda transmissions without issue.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back