Update on ZMAX for Northstar carbon knock

Status
Not open for further replies.
zMAX vs. The FTC Summary

CONCORD, NC (March 20, 2003) - Oil-Chem Research Corp. (Oil-Chem) and Speedway Motorsports, Inc. (SMI) announced today a resolution to their dispute with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) concerning the advertising of zMAX Power System.

"We at Speedway Motorsports are very pleased that the staff of the Federal Trade Commission has specifically confirmed that Oil-Chem can continue to make the following claims in its advertising and promotion of zMAX,” stated Marylaurel E. Wilks, vice president and general counsel of SMI.

zMAX soaks into metal.
zMAX reduces friction.
zMAX increases horsepower.
zMAX dissipates engine heat.
zMAX helps to improve or restore gas mileage and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.
zMAX helps to maintain gas mileage and emissions in newer cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.
zMAX helps to reduce engine wear on engine valve-stems and guides and piston rings and skirts, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.
zMAX helps to extend engine life, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

This confirmation is specified in an exchange of letters with the Division of Enforcement of the FTC.

Oil-Chem’s letter lists the tests and other documents that substantiate the zMAX claims (provided by Oil-Chem to the FTC during the litigation), and the FTC responded that no compliance action would be merited as a result of Oil-Chem making such claims.

Oil-Chem and SMI have not admitted any liability in this litigation. However, in order to avoid the significant expense and time involved in the litigation, the FTC, Oil-Chem and SMI have agreed to end the litigation by the signing of an order, which, in summary, states: (a) Oil-Chem and SMI do not admit any liability and continue to deny any liability; (b) The FTC has issued its compliance letter (which confirms that enforcement is not merited for the eight specified claims); (c) Oil-Chem and SMI will not make advertising claims which are not properly substantiated; and (d) Oil-Chem and SMI will offer a refund of up to $1 million, in the aggregate, to certain purchasers of zMAX, who bought zMAX before January 31, 2001. No refund will be offered to purchasers after that date. For more information visit zMAX.com.

zMAX was developed in 1947 by Joe Lencki as Speedway Cocktail. Sold to the racing industry and car dealerships since it development, it has been marketed as zMAX since1989. AVBLEND, the zMAX formula for aviation, is FAA approved for all piston driven aircraft and has been available since 1980. In addition to company efforts to market zMAX through infomercial, zMAX is available at better auto parts stores including Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, Checker, Kargen, Murray's Auto Parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts, PepBoys, Schuck's, Strauss Discount Auto, VIP as well as Target stores and #@$%!'s Wholesale nationwide. zMAX became a part of Speedway Motorsports Inc in 1987

zMAX vs. The FTC Summary CONCORD, NC (March 20, 2003) - Oil-Chem Research Corp. (Oil-Chem) and Speedway Motorsports, Inc. (SMI) announced today a resolution to their dispute with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) concerning the advertising of zMAX Power System.

"We at Speedway Motorsports are very pleased that the staff of the Federal Trade Commission has specifically confirmed that Oil-Chem can continue to make the following claims in its advertising and promotion of zMAX,” stated Marylaurel E. Wilks, vice president and general counsel of SMI.

zMAX soaks into metal.
zMAX reduces friction.
zMAX increases horsepower.
zMAX dissipates engine heat.
zMAX helps to improve or restore gas mileage and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.
zMAX helps to maintain gas mileage and emissions in newer cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.
zMAX helps to reduce engine wear on engine valve-stems and guides and piston rings and skirts, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.
zMAX helps to extend engine life, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.
This confirmation is specified in an exchange of letters with the Division of Enforcement of the FTC. Oil-Chem’s letter lists the tests and other documents that substantiate the zMAX claims (provided by Oil-Chem to the FTC during the litigation), and the FTC responded that no compliance action would be merited as a result of Oil-Chem making such claims.

Oil-Chem and SMI have not admitted any liability in this litigation. However, in order to avoid the significant expense and time involved in the litigation, the FTC, Oil-Chem and SMI have agreed to end the litigation by the signing of an order, which, in summary, states: (a) Oil-Chem and SMI do not admit any liability and continue to deny any liability; (b) The FTC has issued its compliance letter (which confirms that enforcement is not merited for the eight specified claims); (c) Oil-Chem and SMI will not make advertising claims which are not properly substantiated; and (d) Oil-Chem and SMI will offer a refund of up to $1 million, in the aggregate, to certain purchasers of zMAX, who bought zMAX before January 31, 2001. No refund will be offered to purchasers after that date. For more information visit zMAX.com.

zMAX was developed in 1947 by Joe Lencki as Speedway Cocktail. Sold to the racing industry and car dealerships since it development, it has been marketed as zMAX since1989. AVBLEND, the zMAX formula for aviation, is FAA approved for all piston driven aircraft and has been available since 1980. In addition to company efforts to market zMAX through infomercial, zMAX is available at better auto parts stores including Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, Checker, Kargen, Murray's Auto Parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts, PepBoys, Schuck's, Strauss Discount Auto, VIP as well as Target stores and #@$%!'s Wholesale nationwide. zMAX became a part of Speedway Motorsports Inc in 1987.

Speedway Motorsports is a leading marketer and promoter of motorsports entertainment in the United States. The Company owns and operates the following premiere facilities: Atlanta Motor Speedway, Bristol Motor Speedway, Infineon Raceway, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Lowe’s Motor Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway. The Company provides souvenir merchandising services through its SMI Properties subsidiary, and manufactures and distributes smaller-scale, modified racing cars through its 600 Racing subsidiary. The Company also owns Performance Racing Network which broadcasts syndicated motorsports programming to more than 725 stations nationwide including XM Satellite and NASCAR.com, and Oil-Chem Research Corp., the manufacturer and distributor of zMAX. For more information, visit the Company’s website at gospeedway.com.

Jeeezzz! I guess this stuff really works, huh? The prime working in ZMax is "Linkite". What this is I don't know but apparently, it is or has been used in the aircraft industry. Someone with more knowledge on "Linkite", please feel free to chime in here.
cheers.gif

I'm still skeptical regarding this product. If ZMAX gives me free two treatment then I can see for myself wether it works or not. Money doesn't grow on trees. besides I see no advertisments on TV for a very long time.

Durango

You asked. Linkite was a petroluem based preservitive developed to stop corrosion from forming on aircraft engines going to th Britain in World War 2 via open deck freighters.

FTC complaint that shows Z-max to be 100% mineral oil (page 3) with no active ingredients and other not so nice things.

Sounds a whole lot like Naphthenic oil to me.

I also asked them yesterday for an MSDS (again)...no response.

The initial complaint and the actual settlement is different. Not sticking up for the product, but they are still in business and the government does let them use in their advertising many items the government had in their complaint.

Quote:

The initial complaint and the actual settlement is different. Not sticking up for the product, but they are still in business and the government does let them use in their advertising many items the government had in their complaint.

tenderloin,

Compared to how much they want to give it a try I'd rather use it for gasoline. Personally I think people are better off using just a good grade synthetic oil instead of this snake oil. Too me no real proof except for ZMax's word that it works.
dunno.gif

Durango
usa2.gif

Originally Posted By: harleyultra06
GM, and more specifically, Cadillac has recommended ZMAX as an alternative treatment for carbon knock and oil consumption in the northstar equipped vehicles.

Do we know it this is actually a true statement?

As discussed ad infinitum here, ZMax has some excellent characteristics related to scuffing in the bores of aircraft engines. Trust me on this, the FAA is unlikely to certify any snake oil for use in aircraft!

I have never been able to discern a benefit to a normal healthy car engine. Thus we experimented with it and discarded it.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: harleyultra06
GM, and more specifically, Cadillac has recommended ZMAX as an alternative treatment for carbon knock and oil consumption in the northstar equipped vehicles.

Do we know it this is actually a true statement?

I read the actual TSB or service advisory some time ago, not that I can find it now. From what I recall at the time it would be a true statement. It was in the body of the advisory and not the subject as I recall.

This PDF from avblend may also help.
http://www.avblend.com/S_Tucker_Story.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
From another forum:

Quote:
Subject: Knocking Noises Or Excessive Oil Consumption - keywords carbon cold piston valve zmax #PIP3951 - (10/19/2006)

Models: 1996-2003 Cadillac Concours, Seville, Deville, Eldorado

with LD8 or L37 4.6L V8 engine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment of a knocking noise from the engine, especially after sitting overnight, or of excess oil consumption.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The cause may be excess carbon build-up on the engine pistons. For vehicles NOT covered under the new vehicle warranty, before attempting other repairs, a product called zMax may be of benefit in improving these conditions. Follow the directions on the package when using zMax. Engines with heavy carbon deposits may benefit from more than one treatment with zMax. Treatment with zMax at each oil change may also be of benefit. The zMax website (www.zmax.com) has a locator for retailers selling zMax. We believe these sources and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products or equipment from these firms or for any such items which may be available from other sources.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

A hard copy was posted by Johnny last year.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2044492&page=4

Last edited by a moderator:
Final answer: They did but the recommendations have changed.

Quote:
OK, so the PIP3951 (docid# 1868013) looks legit and I don't doubt that it is
But
That document is no longer valid in GM's Service Information system - it just doesn't come up.

When I enter the doc id into the search it comes back with:

You have entered an invalid document ID or the requested document has been removed from the system.
Please enter a valid document ID.
As I mentioned earlier GM removes these documents from time to time when they no longer are needed or for other reasons.

I have no clue as to why it was removed... but since it was removed it obviously is no longer a recommended service procedure.
At one point in time it WAS suggested (in the PI):

For vehicles NOT covered under the new vehicle warranty, before attempting other repairs, a product called zMax may be of benefit in improving these conditions.
If I had to guess they removed the PI because dealers were probably giving feedback like "[censored]??" and telling GM about cures for cold carbon rap and oil consumption that require no additives, such as the WOT procedure in our technical archive (and summarized by others above)

I don't think anyone here is saying that this stuff will harm your engine.

In my opinion the problem started when their marketing jumped the fence with using percentages.
Now when there's no percentage claims it could be a minimal or non-significant increase and their marketing claims would still be true.
It could also be possible that there are significant improvements, however as others have said (and I agree) zMax would have been bought by a large auto manufacturer for a huge sum of $$$ if that was the case.

To summarize, the PI released by GM was removed from the Service Information system (for unknown reasons) but GM definitely does not currently recommend zMax.
And they actually released a bulletin #05-00-89-072B titled Fuel and Oil Additives - Facts and Myths/Maximizing Fuel Economy

within that document is a link to the FTC website concerning this issue (not the zMax case specifically but fuel economy and additives/enhancements)

So bottom line, I'm pretty sure GM does not condone the use of zMax (for whatever reasons)

From: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cad...reatment-5.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back