1995 Chevy Lumina / Brake Fluid / NEED ADVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed for a while now that I have puddles of clear/yellowish fluid on the ground, so I put a drip pan down so that I could get a better idea of where it was coming from. Only probem is, I'm still not sure. I thought at first it might be oil, but the color of the fluid is consistantly clean looking, whereas, oil will darken over time in the crank case and come out of your engine darker. I know it isn't power steering fluid because mine is reddish colored, not clear. My question is: Are there brake lines that run along the axle which can leak out around the front center area of my car? If you are facing my engine, the leak is more toward the passenger side, but not all the way towared the tire.

What's the level in the brake fluid reservior? Do you have a place where you can pop your front tire off for a better look?

Take some of this fluid on your finger and dip it into some water. If it dissolves in water, it's brake fluid (or coolant). Motor oil won't dissolve in water.

If a brake line is leaking, a warning light should come on when you apply the brakes. I just had a line fail on my 93 Lumina (winter car) from rust.

Take a drive and step on the brakes hard, if the line is leaking the warning light should come on. Also, check the mastercylinder reservoir fluid level. Both cavities should be at or near the top. If one is low, you got a leak. Take it to a professional, replacing lines are a pita as they have to be made.

fyi-NEVER USE COPPER TUBING FOR BRAKES

If you're seeing puddles you've lost enough that it would be easy to see your brake fluid being down on fluid. Keep in mind however that if your pads are nearing the end of their life you will see the fluid lower than the full mark anyway. I'd top it off and watch the level twice a day, you don't want to be without brake fluid or you will not have full braking ability.

It could also be coolant. Kestas' test makes sense, try that to see if it is oil or not.

More than likely coolant from the infamous intake manifold gasket.

I kept a 1993 Lumina APV (3800 v6) with the same problem going for years with Bars stop leak and topping up the overflow tank.

When I finally decided to get it fixed (at 150,000 miles) the dealership screwed up the job, which destroyed the engine, which got me a new, free, long block replacement. The whole thing was a total pain in the neck (about two feet lower and in the back). But the van is still going with well over 200k on the clock.

Does antifreeze still taste sweet?
whistle.gif

K, I put some on my finger, dipped it into a cup of water and it seemed to disolve off my finger (mostly), but I noticed a film floating on the top of the water. Does this sound like oil or brake fluid?

It sounds like oil. Brake fluid and coolant are glycols (alcohols), and dissolve in water. So unless the fluid got contaminated with motor oil, the fluid either motor oil or hydraulic fluid. Below is a list of suspects I can brainstorm. Some you've already discounted.

- motor oil
- transmission fluid
- power steering fluid
- strut hydraulic fluid
- A/C refrigerant lubricant
- hydraulic (leveling) suspension?

You may have to get on your back with a light and trace the fluid leak upward to find the source.

Well, I at this exact moment, my mechanic is standing under the car on a lift shining a florescent light under it to trace this leak.

Verdict is out: Engine and brake lines are fine. The hydrolic filled motor mount is leaking hydrolic fluid. 3 hours to replace and 140.00 for the part. My mech told me I could drive it another year like this with no problems, but I forsee struts and tires in a year, so I decided to have him replace it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back