Algae in the Brake Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was changing the brakes on a friends Tahoe and decided to check his fluid. Well, it was GREEN.
shocked.gif
I couldn't tell what color it was at first since it just appeared dark. There was also some type of solid at the bottom of the resevoir. Took the Res off, poured the fluid out and saw the green tint. Then flushed the lines, and there was green fluid in there too. Can brake fluid store enough water to permit the growth of algae (the truck had been sitting for about 1 1/2 years)?

No algae will grow without light. My guess is either a combo of dyes that makes green, or some copper sulfate somewhere. I have seen yellow, amber, orange, and blue brake fluids. I bet there is way to green out of the right mix.

The brake fluid is Castrol LMA (Low Moisture Absorption) which is dyed a dark green color. I use it exclusively since it is the best of the non-synthetic brake fluids available and has a very high wet boiling point.

I seriously doubt that algae could grow in an environment where brake fluid is so abundent. Seriously, brake fluid will take the paint off whatever it touches.

Quote:

I seriously doubt that algae could grow in an environment where brake fluid is so abundent. Seriously, brake fluid will take the paint off whatever it touches.

Have you actually seen it do this? I can say first hand this isnt true (maybe if you let it sit overnight).

Dot 3 and Dot 4 will remove and/or discolor a variety of paints. The process is rather slow. If you wipe spills off quickly, you will likely conclude that it does nothing. If you want a list of paints that are sensitive to Dot 3/4, do search (web search, not BITOG) with terms like "brake fluid" and "model". Model car builder sometimes use Dot 3 to remove paint when refinishing old models.

Dot 5 will not remove nor damage any paint known to me. I use it to "dress" door gaskets and to remove white wax residue on plastic trim.

By the way, I can tell you "first hand" that if you get a brake fluid leak, you may first find it from the paint damage.

not so sure this is castrol LMA. I recently flushed the brake fluid on a 2k Jimmy. the stuff that first came out was thick dark puke green. then it flushed clear. 3 months later the master cylinder reservoir was green fluid, with some kind of solid residue partially coating the insides. there is some kind of contamination that causes the green color. I have no idea what it is.

ive seen a bunch of OEM brake fluids that are 5+ years old that come out green. mostly on GM and Ford. usually its thick and brown, but green is not uncommon. ive had brake fluid come out of a Chrysler TC by Masarati(owner was a "mechanic" who didnt believe in flushing fluids) that had the consistency and color of used 90wt gear oil. it actually clogged up my MityVac vacuum bleeder. took about 3 gallons of constantly flushing fluid to get it to look somewhat normal.

Quote:

The brake fluid is Castrol LMA (Low Moisture Absorption) which is dyed a dark green color. I use it exclusively since it is the best of the non-synthetic brake fluids available and has a very high wet boiling point.

ALL brake fluid is synthetic, including Castrol LMA.

It's probably just old and tired fluid. There's a remote possibility it was mixed with something.

To comply with DOT specs, non-silicone DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 brake fluid must be colorless to amber. DOT 5 silicone fluid, purple. Hydraulic mineral oil, green.

Ate Super Blue Racing, one popular import fluid that exceeds DOT 4 specs, cannot claim compliance on the label. It has a non-dyed cousin, Typ200, that is identical except for color, and can claim DOT 4 compliance.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least two non-boutique brake fluids that perform better than LMA, though it is a solid choice that's inexpensive and readily available.

mine in my 92 Galant is green....as is the hose running from the master cylinder...and no, i'm not kidding.
i've had the car for 35k miles (140k now) and 3 years....i'll be flushing this summer.

When I changed the fluid in my car last week, I had some algae growing in the reservoir filter mesh, but the 2 year old fluid (Synpower) was not green.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least two non-boutique brake fluids that perform better than LMA, though it is a solid choice that's inexpensive and readily available.

Well don't hold out on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back