Barium 0 0

==========

Test : Vis Flash Fuel AFZ H2O INSOL

@210F Deg F % % % %

Shd Be: 48-58 >370
This: 51.6 380
Sampl

Blackstone Comments:

The only unusual finding in this sample was sodium. 39 ppm is not enough to call it antifreeze, but it's not present in Motorcraft oil. Maybe you used an oil in the past that contained sodium and it's still washing out. Wear looks good, so this doesn't really look like an antifreeze problem. If it is, it's a new problem and can be contained for now with short oil changes. No fuel or moisture was present in this sample, and the air and oil filters are working well for you. Try 7000 miles for next oil change (3500 miles is average) and check back to keep an eye on sodium.

I know the make-up oil skews things a bit, but hey, my engine did not blow up with this thin oil!
smile.gif
This vehicle has a pretty easy life with a 25mi commute each way to work. However, I pulled a trailer a couple times. Once I pulled a trailer up to Tahoe, during our heat wave last summer. It was 107F-112F while I was flooring it up the mountain. Car did not overheat, but I am sure the oil got pretty hot.

The sodium is probably left over from the previous oil which was Mobil 7500.

Oil filter was Purolator Premium Plus.

The sodium spike is kind of odd, but you can't be disappointed with those wear numbers! Motorcraft 5w20 once again comes through!

Excellent suggestive evidence that the 3.0 Mitsubishi engine is happy with 5w-20

Now let's see how it does on 0w-10
shocked.gif

It seems that boron is becoming the additive of choice among Amsoil/Motorcraft/M1. Mobil 1 SL, Amsoil SM and MC SM all use the same additive package for the most part....

Quote:

3 Qts of oil in 6500 miles, at that rate why ever change oil, just filters.

Based on the analysis I suppose you are right.

Makes me wonder why Audi owners ever change their oil?

Or I could be a 3k Jiffy lube oil changer and I would never notice that I used oil. Sump is 5.5 qts. Would probably run fine on 4 quarts.

the filter would eventually get plugged. so I would change the oil probably every 10k miles. My 1992 mitsu drank oil like water too. My mitsu engine ran fine but I'm starting to get used to my vibe with a full oil on the dipstick after 6500 miles
cool.gif

Definately too much make-up oil. To me, not really a laughing matter. So, if you're burning so much, why are you using the thinnest grade available? Why not move up a couple of notches? eg. 5-40 or something?
dunno.gif

Quote:

Definately too much make-up oil. To me, not really a laughing matter. So, if you're burning so much, why are you using the thinnest grade available? Why not move up a couple of notches? eg. 5-40 or something?
dunno.gif

I just wanted to try out the thin oil to see how it would work. A qt every 2k on a 170k engine does not seem like that much to me. It is actually a lot better than a lot of 170k Mitsu V6's. I do not get any visible smoke. I ARX'd it, but it only helped a little.

Another comment, I put M7500 10W30 in it when I changed the oil. MPG is down a couple MPG since then. Maybe I am not driving as carefully though.

I have the 3.0 Mitsu engine in my 1995 van.Just clocked 170,000 miles. The oil that it likes the best is Valvoline maxlife 10W30. I believe it's a little thicker and has reduced consumption and leakage noticeably. I would not consider running a 20 weight oil in it.

Quote:

Definately too much make-up oil.

How do you go about determining when it's too much make up oil?

It may be the case that it cost him $13 more in oil, but he saves $57 in fuel.

These ILSAC/GF-4 oils have low levels of ZDDP and sulfated ash, so burning some oil is probably not the issue it once was in terms of coating oxygen sensors or degrading the Cat Con.

Since you live in the Bay Area and Redline is easy to find there, I'd try their SAE 5w-20. I think you can cut the oil consumption by at least 50% and double your OCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back