Exxon Mobil Response to M1 75w90 meets 06 GM specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked if the M1 75w90 Synthetic met the GM spec in my 06 DenaliXL differentials here is the response:

"No, Mobil recommends that you prcure this product from your local dealer."
blush.gif

--
Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

-Matt Jacob

The Denali differentials are no different than comparable year Chevy/GMC SUV's and Pickups.

Quote:

Title
SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant, Fuel-Efficient Hypoid

General Motors North America

Publication Date:
Dec 1, 2003

Scope:

This specification describes an axle lubricant to replace previous lubricant 9985290 and 9985182. This axle lubricant, suitable for car and truck axles, exhibits improved fuel efficiency, lower axle temperature operation, and improved thermal stability.

It says GL-5 high pressure lubricant on the bottle with w new grape scent.....for all you guys who like to smell their truck's diffs....But I wonder why Mobil1 begged off and sent me to the dealer?

btw-My 2004 GMC and my 2005 CTS call for the same spec. I have Asmoil Severe Gear on both.

They might have been confused because of the GM AutoTrac transfer case fluid which no one has a product to match. Often you are asking these questions of people who only have a book in front of them. They likely don't know differentials from ktichen appliances. They are not likely to pay an engineer to answer questions. LOL

As for the GM stuff, I read a GM TSB some time ago which stated it was a Texaco product.

I purchased a new Silverado a couple of weeks ago. Have 500 miles on it now and time for all new fluids/filters etc. This dadgum GM spec 9986115 for the rear end gear oil threw me for a bit. So I emailed Mobil/Royal Purple/Amsoil for info on that spec. I also called the GM Regional Rep.....here is what i got....
----------------------------------------
From Royal Purple......
Royal Purple's MaxGear 75W90 meets and exceeds any performance requirements for this application and if our product was the direct cause of a denied warranty, Royal Purple Inc carries liability insurance that would apply in the event that GM denied you warranty service solely on the use of our aftermarket product.

There is not an industry performance specification for the GM #9986115, it is a purchasing specification set by GM.

Heck, GM created a specification for a 23 oz packaging for a SAE 75W90 oil with a specific part number because that we the specified fill amount!

Specification sometimes are performance related - in this case - it is a separate part number to indicate that the limited slip friction modifier is already included in the product where previously, GM had specified separate gear oils and then an additive concentrate of the friction modifier.
---------------------------------------------
From Mobil1
No, you must procure this product at your local dealer.
From Amsoil

From the GM Regional Rep
The spec is for friction modifier to be included in the oil versus two separate bottles. So basically it is a packaging/purchasing spec only. As long as your choice meets API GL5 specs and has the friction modifier your good to go.

Yes I read the Amsoil website and can see what they recommend. However it does not say they met the GM spec. So I ask them.
Obviously now I have the "official" GM response on the spec, and have a comfort in knowledge it is not a technical spec I will be ordering 14qts of the Amsoil ATF and flushing all the GM stuff out and replacing with the Amsoil ATF.
Curious of Mobil1 response. I'm sure if I can gain access to the spec from GM they could also. Oh well. Happy Motoring huh?
smile.gif

By the way the ATF comment was obviously out of context....sorry....I am doing that also....I also just installed the Amsoil air filter...recieved my Amsoil oil filters and have the Schaeffers 5-30 7000 ready to go
smile.gif

There is only one product that meets the 9986115 specification. It is actually manufactured by an additive company but the only authorized suppliers are Chevron and Shell.

SVG 75W-90 and synthetic ATF is going in my 2008 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 soon. Need to make appointment for it to be done in a few week or so when my calendar clears. I don't like to mess with it anymore, let the experts do it and my hands stay clean.

Then it will be 100% Amsoil, S.2000 0W-30 went in at 1,800 miles (now 2,300).

Quote:

There is only one product that meets the 9986115 specification. It is actually manufactured by an additive company but the only authorized suppliers are Chevron and Shell.

So Royal Purple, Amsoil, (and Redline, others) are just making stuff up? I think this is just another GM/oil company "relationship". I'm not saying the spec is bogus, because the lube does require LS additives, but "only authorized suppliers" does not mean the BEST suppliers nor does it mean there aren't better alternatives to the finished lube.

I'm not saying that other companies don't make a respectable 75W/90 but that wasn't the question.
The question was does anyone else make a fluid for 9986115 and the answer to that is no. 998 part numbers refer to factory fill approved fluids that have undergone extensive validation beyond just meeting a spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back