Amsoil EAO filter Microns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry, not to be doubting or argumentive, but most microglass elements run in the $60 to $90 region for the size you describe (Parker, Hydac, Pall, etc..) Paper elements run in the $20.00 region.. Sure sounds like the Donaldson is a paper element with an optimistic rating...
George

Actually, he was quoting me. The Donaldson filter I was talking about can be found HERE. One supplier I looked up had it for ~$20 (+ shipping of course).

Thankyou for your input GeorgeCLS, I always find your observations and comments very informative and interesting. As far as I know and as has been advertised, Amsoil filters are of a nanofiber type element. As far as their rating, I have to believe, based on what I've experienced, that they are all they say they are. You only have to see for yourself, just how clean your oil remains as compared to other spin on filters.

At a nominal value of 7 microns, I don't think there would be a problem with filtering out the VI improvers. As I use a synthetic that have little or no VIs, I think there is no problem. In fact, I would like to see Amsoil produce a filter that is 98.7% efficient at 10 microns.....they can do it.

I just went out to check my oil, with 4,000 miles on it, it is still amazingly clean.....it was never like that with Honda filters. The Eao filter works, Now I wish I had purchased that Digital camera. Is anyone in the Jupiter, Fl area that has a Camera?

And yes, I am in the middle of the particle count test with the EaO on my Toyota Sequoia. I am very optimistic about its ability to do a pretty darned good job down to 10 microns.
We shall see in the next few weeks how my first 1500 mile particle count compares with the OEM paper element.. Hopefully very well!
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Great George! I am really looking forward to your results. Nonscientifically speaking, how does your oil look since you installed the Eao? It is my experience that the oil is much cleaner than when I used the Honda filter. The Civic presently has over 208,000 miles on the original unrebuilt engine.

George,
Would you be interested in looking at a used Eao20 filter with 15,000 miles on it? I will be doing an oil change soon and I will save the filter for anyone who wants it.

Originally the Eao20 cost around $12 with the Amsoil prefered customer plan. With 4 oil changes using the same filter, that comes out to about 3 bucks per change. OK, for close to what is paid for the bargain priced filters, I have enjoyed superior filtering and for me, a quieter engine at startup. You guys just have to experience the quality and cleanliness of the oil at change time. I kinda feel that I am changing it too soon. I put a couple of drops of oil from the dipstick on a paper towel. Nothing but an amber dot with clear margins.

I will be cutting open my EaO filters at the 1,500 and 10,000 mile intervals, along with my corresponding particle counts and spectrographic analysis for each.
George Morrison,

Please keep in touch George, I'm sure a lot of BITOGERS are
waiting to read your results. I'll have an Eao20 soon with 15,000 miles on if you're interested.

Donaldson can't be the only company that produces nanofibres. I am thinking that eventually other oil filter companies will get on board, much as they did with synthetic oil. If there's money to be made, someone will produce it. It may be Mobil, they have tons of bucks and a 15,000 mile oil that will be better served with a filter that goes down to a smaller micron level.

Quote:

I feel like I'm watching a feature length infomercial with testimonials
grin.gif

Even I don't get this excited about filtration
dunno.gif

..but carry on and ..be well
smile.gif

laugh.gif

But based on my personal experience, I see no wild or extravant claims here. Everything in this thread parallels my experience to date.

I've used Amsoil EaO filters since February 2006. I'm now on my second EaO filter.

Initially, I was somewhat hesitant to implement this new technology at the time, since Amsoil had only introduced their EaO filters in October 2005. In restrospect, that was one of the best automotive maintenance decisions I've made.
thumbsup.gif

Mobil 1 filters are a microglass/cellulose blend filter which is vastly superior to cellulose only but as in the chain with the weakest link, we are still stuck with the deficiencies of paper. Mobil, as with Amsoil, do not actually manufacture the filters they market, so are beholding to the manufacturer's filter medium capabilities and use. Since Champion is not currently manufacturing any full synthetic automotive/truck medium filters, neither will Mobil. But if a market for very high quality synthetic medium develops, then I am sure Mobil/Champion will move forward to begin marketing them.
This nano-fiber (these names!) *Looks* good but the "rest of the story" will be in its performance numbers... Which I am most anxious to see; I should have my 1,500 miles on by early next week. And yes, I will share all of my results.
Again, I am NOT an Amsoil distributor nor have any affiliation with Amsoil. But if there is a better oil filter, it makes no difference to me who makes it... I will use it...

Yeah, 5,000 miles here too. I am sure I could go longer, but 5K is my magic number. I have taken to using the same oil filter for 4 changes. I never would have considered doing that in the past, but now, with the new Eao filter, I have no worries. You just have to see how clean the oil is. It is the filter doing that and nothing else. It is almost as though I have a bypass system installed, it's that clean!

Just completed the "blotter test" on my Sequoia with 150,000+ miles on the engine. The Mobil 1 has the same appearance as with Mobil 1 filters, so I do not see a huge appearance difference with EaO vs. Mobil 1. However, the proof of performance will be in the particle count numbers soon to follow.......

Here is my 2006 Odyssey at 2200 miles with an EAO filter:

ISO Code (2) 16/12
NAS 1638 Class 1
ISO Code (3) 16/15/13

>=2 Micron 909
>=5 Micron 336
>=10 Micron 93
>=15 Micron 36
>=25 Micron 8
>=50 Micron 0
>=100 Micron 0

I slapped on a filtermag after this and will have another particle count done in about a month (should be around 6000 miles at that point). I plan on keeping this EAO installed for the next oil change. Which at the end I will submit to Terry Dyson and get a particle count as well. That might take 6 more months before that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back