Amsoil Universal ATF - Toyota WS ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Toyota WS has odd viscosity, more like the DEXRON-VI spec, so I'm not sure that the Amsoil product would be ok. Oh, and I'm not suggesting that DEXRON-VI would be either. My advice is to stick to the Toyota fluid.

Amsoil doesn't claim compatability with WS at all so I wouldn't use it.

I wish they did, I have their fluids everywhere else in my Tundra and would love to switch the transmission to. I'd like to change the fluid soon and don't really want to use WS.

Quote:

Why not query techservice @ amsoil.com?

I think tech service is fed up with all the Group III questions and stopped responding to everything
grin.gif

Toyota WS is a low-viscosity fluid, with similar viscosity properties to DEXRON-VI.

While AMSOIL ATF may work, the transmission would not function properly under cold temperatures as it has been programmed to take advantage of the lower viscosity of the fluid.

Use the Toyota fluid only. After all, it's only $45/gal...perhaps $5/qt more. But heck, I'd be willing to spend an extra $20-$30 every few years for insurance.

The cold temp properties of the new 6 cst fluids are nothing to brag about. Most synth blends, like the Mercon-V's and multivehicle ATFs, have equivalent or better cold weather performance.

If you don't mind the mpg loss, go for it. The MPG difference might not even be noticeable.

unDummy : Do you suggest one could use MerconV/MV ATF for a T-IV?

I bet this is how Valvoline is marketing their MV ATFs which seem to work for all vehicles inclucding T-IV (atleast that is what is on the back of their bottles)

Most of the multivehicle ATFs are HFM'd enough to keep the AT computer happy in place of T-IV. But, you should reset the TCU after ATF change. Usually this is as simple as leaving the battery disconnected overnight after the ATF change.

Amsoil's reply was that they have no fluid that complies with the "WS" specifications. Thus, I'll flush my new RAV4's automatic with the Toyota fluid from the stealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back