Magnesium 551 - 180
Phosphorus 780 - 714
Zinc 921 - 877
Barium 0 - 0

SUS vis @ 210*F was 64.4
Flashpoint 425*F
Fuel Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.2

I had an analysis done on this 12 year old oil which went nearly 7K in 5 months to see if my I/M gasket had started to leak. It looks like it has begun to leak slightly (at 74K)
frown.gif
. I have to get a Fel-Pro 'Problem Solver' installed. By the look of things can I wait till Spring? Any other comments are welcome.

It's a full PAO synthetic. Actually it was 4 qts. Valvoline SH and a 1/2 qt. Mobil 1 SJ Tri-Synthetic (which was about 9 y/o). I think that kind of debunks the whole theory of motor oil 'going bad' with age.

The coolant leak appears small. Wear metals are single digits besides copper. how long you plan to keep the car? You can most likely wait until spring, but as a precaution..I would put the GM coolant tabs as bandaid fix if you want to try it and short 3-4k OCI. Until you get the Intake gasket replaced

Who ran this test. The only reason I ask is that the Phos and Zinc levels are low. Both SH and SJ oils had a lot more Phos and Zinc than this.

Johnny: This test was done by Blackstone. I don't know how to post the actual Blackstone copy. I also wondered about the Phos and Zinc levels being so low for SH/SJ oils. PS: Right now I have 5w30 SH rated Pennzoil Performax in the car. Blackstone recommends that I keep my OCI to 5K until I get the leak fixed. It's a shame because I know you have said that this was an excellent oil. I may go to 6K since I've added Barleaks and will watch my coolant level. I'll probably wait till spring to change the I/M gaskets.

Cutehumor: 'Great minds think alike'. I added the Barsleaks
coolant tabs (which many feel are identical to GM tabs) with 2 hours of getting my report.

Thanks guys for your input.

An update one year later : I had the Felpro PS I/M gasket
installed in March and then ran an Auto-RX treatment. I am now on my 2nd rinse with dino (SH rated Pennzoil-this is pre-Purebase variety). I'm now at 87K and the car is running flawlessly. I had 4 new struts and a tie-rod installed (commuting to the South Bronx is rough on a car and while NY has some of the highest tax rates in the nation-they ain't speding it fixin' the roads). I also did an intake-system cleaning and between that and the Auto-RX the Buick is running like new.

As far as oil filters go I use Purolator, Champion Labs or
pretty much anything else. I avoid Pureones in the winter because of (real or imagined) flow issues. I haven't used a Fram since joining BITOG. The above UOA was with a 12 year old AC oil filter that said 'Made in England' on the box. (I had some old filters left over from when my dad had a Pontiac in the early 90's.)

I will be putting in 11 year old Pennzoil Performax SH 5w30 in a few weeks for the winter months. As you can see I'm not afraid to use 'vintage' oil.

Quote:

I will be putting in 11 year old Pennzoil Performax SH 5w30 in a few weeks for the winter months. As you can see I'm not afraid to use 'vintage' oil.

whoa
whistle.gif

offtopic.gif

I'm starting to get ansy about my oil stash being too much. 130 qts

Quote:

Quote:

whoa
whistle.gif

offtopic.gif

I'm starting to get ansy about my oil stash being too much. 130 qts

That's exactly why I'm using SH rated oil--my stash got too big. I want to get rid of it and I feel that 10-14 year old PAO syns. are still good (I wouldn't put them in a brand new car but in an 87K 3.1 (which was designed when oils were SE rated) I'll take the chance. My oil stash has always been indoors and not subjected to weather extremes. I feel that oil doesn't go bad and that the worst that could happen is some degradation of Pour Point Depressant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back