Yesterday at 09:44 PM
Coolant color has changed to light brown
by DarylZero
Yesterday at 09:32 PM
Newest Members
Moral, momay, MatBo911, platypus20, rcube
50704 Registered Users
Who's Online
49 registered (buck91, Char Baby, 05LGTLtd, 57ChevyLS, 77GrandPrix, 5 invisible), 946 Guests and 224 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
50704 Members
64 Forums
216619 Topics
3408737 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#628157 - 09/02/04 02:13 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
ekpolk Offline
The Regenerator

Loc: Pensacola FL
I hasten to add that the Sequoia I'm so happy with, while wearing the "Toyota" name plate, was manufactured here in the United States. American workers, given the right tools, raw materials, and designs, can build the rest of the world into the ground.

I'm very encouraged to see the increase in quality ratings on the domestic vehicles. Finally, they seem to be getting it. That said, I'm flabbergasted that it was Buick leading the GM pack. After a few months owning my 98 Regal GS, I realized that I had until then not understood the true purpose of a rearview mirror. It's actually to keep track of the parts as they fall off in the road. OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much with this car.

#628158 - 09/02/04 02:13 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
toyo Offline

Loc: Gainesville, Georgia
Talkin about high qaulity. One of fleet accounts has a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD, yes I said HD. Guess what I had to replace on it today? The left front hub assembly. Flat worn out. Only 72k Miles. The part was $340.00. Just for the kicks, I called Toyota parts. The hub assembly was 153.00 and the bearing was 52.00. GM does not sell just the bearing, so you have to buy the whole assembly. So basically, The toyota would have cost 52.00 plus a new seal.

#628159 - 09/02/04 02:32 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
buster Offline

Loc: NJ
Guy's the gap is closing. But remember, not everone wants a Toyota. There are other factors involved when buying a car. For me, I'm not expecting Toyota quality but I'm confident enough that the domestics are closing the gap. They might not ever reach Toyota's level, but who has? Point is, other things like looks, total feel of vehicle, performance all play a role too. But to address this thread more directly, my interst has been what exactly does Toyota do to keep that edge? I think the thread has answered that as it has always been thought that the parts used and manufacturing process that Toyota uses is a cut above the rest. There are certain domestic cars that are bullet proof too. I have a lot of respect for Toyota bc for over 30yrs they have made good cars. Very consistant. If this where 5-15yrs ago, I'd say buy a Japanese car if your looking for reliability. But now, I'd say take your pick of any bc there isn't the difference their once was.

#628160 - 09/02/04 02:33 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
Jimbo Offline

Loc: California, USA
Let me get this straight. It is better to buy a Canadian or Mexican assembled Dodge, from a German company, Daimler, than it is to buy a US designed and assembled Toyota? If I want to be geographically selfish, Toyota contributes many times as much to the California economy than GM, Ford or DaimlerChrysler.

From a personal perspective I am a Ford stockholder, but I rent a house to a Toyota employee and my kid makes a living repairing Toyotas.

#628161 - 09/02/04 02:35 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
buster Offline

quote:
Let me get this straight. It is better to buy a Canadian or Mexican assembled Dodge, from a German company, Daimler, than it is to buy a US designed and assembled Toyota? If I want to be geographically selfish, Toyota contributes many times as much to the California economy than GM, Ford or DaimlerChrysler.

From a personal perspective I am a Ford stockholder, but I rent a house to a Toyota employee and my kid makes a living repairing Toyotas.

Well said and your absolutely right. [Cheers!]

#628162 - 09/02/04 03:32 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
Amkeer Offline

Loc: Florida
Jimbo hit the nail on the head!

We have been brainwashed as I have said for years with the "average acceptance", its good enough attitude. Buy American Myth! Well let me tell you if it wasn't for Toyota we would all be driving crapheaps that fell apart before the last payment was made. We all should commend Toyota for their accomplishments and their ability of their product to make the big 3 held more accountable. I for one choose to support a company that tries hard to provide a product that is very good and not just "good enough".

#628163 - 09/02/04 06:49 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
cousincletus Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA
quote:
Originally posted by Amkeer:
Jimbo hit the nail on the head!

We have been brainwashed as I have said for years with the "average acceptance", its good enough attitude. Buy American Myth! Well let me tell you if it wasn't for Toyota we would all be driving crapheaps that fell apart before the last payment was made. We all should commend Toyota for their accomplishments and their ability of their product to make the big 3 held more accountable. I for one choose to support a company that tries hard to provide a product that is very good and not just "good enough".

Where are all the great Japanese cars from the seventies and eighties now? Has not been that long ago. Fact is American cars last long after the imports have rusted to powder and the owners get tired of spending at least twice the money for parts. I guess this argument can go on forever. [Cheers!]

#628164 - 09/02/04 06:59 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
Amkeer Offline

#628165 - 09/02/04 07:25 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
seotaji Offline

Loc: USA
quote:
Why is hard plastic any better or worse than spongy soft rubber/plastic?

Both seem to age pretty well. Both seem to do their job.

I wear my seatbelt, so slamming into it during an accident isn't a consideration.

So what's the difference?

The difference is in price and what you get for the $.

Heck, I'll compare a top of the line Acura 3.5 RL to a Cadilac Deville and you'll still have that "I've just paid more for hard plastic paneling" feeling.

If I'm riding around in a nice car, I want everything to feel like it was worth the $ I paid to purchase it. That might not be the case for you and I can understand that. Different strokes for different folks.

#628166 - 09/02/04 07:33 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
Amkeer Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Chris B.:
In time if things keep going the way they are GM will be way ahead of Toyota.

Your dreaming and dillusional Chris!

said Joe Ivers, J.D. Power’s executive director of quality/customer satisfaction. “However, while the domestics continue to outpace the Europeans, the Japanese continue to dominate.”

Keep in mind that these Toyota vehicles are built in the USA by Americans, using American products and American engineering.

[ September 02, 2004, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

#628167 - 09/02/04 07:34 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
brianl703 Offline

Loc: Manassas, VA
quote:
Originally posted by cousincletus:
Where are all the great Japanese cars from the seventies and eighties now? Has not been that long ago.

I seem them every once in a great while, usually belching smoke with some body damage.

They probably don't stay on the road too much longer since the emissions testing program won't pass them with visible smoke and they can't be registered unless it's fixed.

Or it gets totalled in an accident--the body damage is usually an indicator of the owner's driving ability.

Or it simply dies and the owner leaves it on the side of the road till the state comes to tow it away.

#628168 - 09/02/04 07:36 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
brianl703 Offline

Loc: Manassas, VA
quote:
Originally posted by seotaji:
Heck, I'll compare a top of the line Acura 3.5 RL to a Cadilac Deville and you'll still have that "I've just paid more for hard plastic paneling" feeling.

Acura? My '96 Ford Contour has "plush plastic" or whatever the **** you call it.

It's nice, but if you think it makes a "luxury car", we'll have to agree to disagree.

#628169 - 09/02/04 07:51 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
rjundi Online   content

Loc: New England
quote:
Originally posted by buster:
Guy's the gap is closing. But remember, not everone wants a Toyota. There are other factors involved when buying a car.

I agree. Again personally no Toyota's currently available have an ounce of excitement to them unfortunately. They try with the Celica, Matrix and Corolla with the 180HP motor with no torque. The rest are very reliable in general but basically vanilla. They used to make more sporting cars. No wonder Scion was launched, no more young buyers interested.

I however agree that are well built cars and decent cars if you could care less about sporting aspects and want comfortable/reliable transport.

Thankfully there are other large manufacturer's to fill the gap such as Ford, GM and DC besides the small guys.

#628170 - 09/02/04 08:09 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
Amkeer Offline

Rjundi,

You are entitled to your opinion and thats all it is an opinion. The sales speak for themselves. Nobody says you have to like a hugely, successful company like Toyota. I hated them at one time too!

Hey they are only steel with wheels and are to get you from point A to point B. Anything else is pure fluff! If it runs and saves me a $400 a month on a car payment for 10 years, its for me! 10 years at $4,800.00 is equal to $48,000 in my pocket, I'll take it..... Looking forward to that next $48,000!

#628171 - 09/02/04 08:14 AM Re: Toyota- Build Quality
buster Offline

Amkeer, I respect you love for Toyota but you sound like your always trying to convert everyone into your way of thinking which is that we should only buy Toyotas bc they are the most reliable and they will get you from point A to B with the least amount of trouble. Thats great and while I really like Toyota, again, not everyone wants one. My recent buy was not for reliabilty but for looks, power and performance. I just like the Dodge Rams right now. I doubt I'll get Toyota reliability but sometimes the other qualities over ride the "reliable" factor. Plus, most cars today are built well. It's not the 80's anymore.

I think Toyotas are great, but their are many other great cars as well. I'm sure I'll buy another Toyota at some point but will also buy from other brands as well. All the manufactures make at least one or two great cars that I like. Many I can't afford.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >