Best oil for a Chevy 502/450hp stock crate engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1)What would be the best viscosity to use for all around street driving with ocassional drag strip passes? I have no specific engine oil recommendations on this engine as to what oil viscosity ranges would be from minimum to maximum(Safe viscosity?)? I have been told to use 10/30? This engine has the factory stock roller camshaft! The temperature here in Ca, rarely ever goes below 28 degrees(F)!

2)My 450hp/502 engine has around 1,000 miles on it now. If I choose to use an Amsoil 100% synthetic engine oil, what would be the best one to use to give the ultimate in wear protection, having a stable viscosity, lowest volatility etc.? Since my vehicle that this engine is in, is a 1969 chevrolet El Camino, no catalytic convertor is involved(So I don't need the thinner, SM specification oil!). If SAE 5-30(Or, 10-30?)might be recommended over the Euro SAE 5-40 Amsoil-then, please state your reasons for recommending one oil type over another oil type? Please clarify your answers?

3)How would the Euro SAE 5/40 work in this engine?

4)In a Chevron or Havoline Dino oil, which particular of these oils would work the best in my 502/450hp engine? Give the proper label name and your viscosity recommended?

[ November 02, 2005, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: slick8 ]

Antioch Calif. close to the Chevron,Unocal refineries and a stones throw from Benicia . Go with Delo 400 15w/40 or Redline oil 10w/40.
smile.gif
Slick 8 how are you going to keep tires on that El Camino?
smile.gif

1)I'd also like to find out the best Amsoil 100% synthetic to use, between the SAE Euro 5-40 or their SAE 15-40? As well as if these viscosities would be better(Or, if not?)for my 502 engine than any of the Amsoil other 30 weight multi-grade oils? I don't like the thinner 30 weight oil viscosities(And, seemingly, less wear protection?)of the newly reformulated "SM" rated oils?

2)I only have a turbo hydro automatic with a stock torque convertor with an 3:31 positive traction 12 bolt rearend-but, I'll still have to get some better rear street tires than my BF Goodrich 245x60Rx15's to contain all that 550lbs/ft of torque, whenever I first attempt to try it out in the quarter mile!

IMO
grin.gif

Schaeffers oil to break in or use if on a budget.
Royal Purple after 3000 miles if you want the best.
Weight would depend on the engine clearance. Straight 30 would be a good start seeing your location.

I had a a 8,000 rpm Chev 396 " I know but I had the parts" I used Delo 400 .The only problem was broken valve springs . The rotating assembly "crank and rod bearings" was in real good shape .The valve train,cam showed alot of wear with no air cleaner ,which is normal for a bb Chev with flat tappet cam and high spring pressures. Oh the engine was in a flatbottom boat.

I'm way passed that in RWHP with a LS1....
Shell Rotella 15-40 or Chevron Delo 15-40 is what the doctor ordered...I went through my Amsoil "phase"....

If it were mine, I'd run Valvoline VR1 Racing 20W50. It's nice and thick and perfect for a 502. Why? All GM 502 crate engines are oil burners because GM put low tension rings in them and running a thicker oil helps the oil consumption out a little.

Think about it logically....

A person has two cups, one filled with syrup the other water..
So a person stirs the two cups, which one is going to be easier to stir?
Which one is gonna take less power to stir, less effort?
Thinner the oil, more efficient the equipment will run with less effort moving the oil.
wink.gif

The dragster we sponsored a few years ago had the 502 crate motor and we ran the Series 2000 20W50 Racing oil.
The 68 Forebird (2003 Summit Super Series Winner http://www.sweetmusicracing.com/ ) we sponsor has the Reher Morrison 555in motor and they recommended a synthetic 5W30.
We ran the Seires 2000 0W30 in it. Changed it out 1/2 way through the season.
Both cars ran fine with these oils.
For running on the street then storing it for the winter I recommend the AME 15W40 because of the Military Grade Rust Inhibitor for off season storage.
The Alcohol guys like this oil as well.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back