Zerex Coolant Charts, Marketing, and their Conventional 5/100 Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember Valvoline's attack on Prestone in regards to their "All Makes, All Models" labeling on their coolant?

Its interesting how I found this statement on Zerex's new website today:

quote:

There is no "one size fits all" chemistry that is approved for use in all vehicles. Don't take chances—use Zerex AutoMaker Approved Chemistry.

Aimed right at Prestone!
wink.gif
lol.gif

They also have this nifty little chart out now to show which Zerex Coolant to use. (Low-Silicate Conventional 5/100, DexCool, or G-05)

Anyways, Zerex's Conventional 5/100 low-silicate product caught my attention. Would this product be a good, less expensive, reliable, and proven coolant for use in all applications? It seems to provide nearly the same benefits as G-05, same or nearly the same drain interval, for possibly a lower cost and easier avaliability.

Perhaps I'll use this product when I flush my system again in 6 months to replace the Prestone All Makes/Models fluid that I currently have in there?
dunno.gif

Here are the Zerex Coolant Charts for those who are unable to view them:

-

-

A few comments from me:

I thought some '99 Chryslers came with G-05; I recall G-Man II's 300M being factory filled with G-05 and not a green antifreeze.

In addition, why do the < 96 Imports require the G-05 and not the Traditional, low-silicate "Green" Antifreeze?

[ April 06, 2006, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: The Critic ]

2001 was the first year that ALL Chryslers came with G-05. The 99 LH models were the first to come with G-05.

I'm surprised they recommend DexCool for Jaguar. I seriously doubt Jaguars come from the factory with DexCool chemistry coolant.

I think the Zerex green formula is excellent. It is guaranteed for 5 years / 100,000 miles. I recall the MSDS showed the level of silicates to be slightly higher in Zerex G-05 as opposed to Zerex green. I am having problems finding the MSDS to verify.

I'm surprised that they recommend Dexcool for asian makes from 1996 on. From what I've read, most asian manufacturers use and recommend one formula or another of the ethelene glycol based (the traditional green) antifreeze.

I find it interesting as well that they recommended the G-05 over the "traditional" Zerex Conventional antifreeze for the earlier Oriental cars. Supposedly, both use the same "low-silicate" approach but G-05 has the HOAT technology and the nitrites for the Diesel engines. A quick glance of the two data sheets shows G-05's superior corrosion protection in most tests compared to the traditional coolant, as well as a slightly pH of approx. "8," versus the traditional coolant's 10. I wonder if the pH level difference was one of the factors with regards to recommending the G-05 over the conventional green. If so, I don't see why they should bother making or recommending the traditional green at all...if there are no incompatibilities with the G-05 chemistry in nearly all applications, what's the need for the traditional IAT based coolants ???

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
I'm surprised that they recommend Dexcool for asian makes from 1996 on. From what I've read, most asian manufacturers use and recommend one formula or another of the ethelene glycol based (the traditional green) antifreeze.

I don't believe that's been true since the end of the '90s. Honda, Nissan, and Toyota use their own takeoff on the OAT theme - adding a stiff dose of phosphates for hybrid protection. G-05 simply substitutes reduced silicate levels for high phosphate levels to achieve hybrid protection.

All of the coolants we're talking about are ethylene glycol based. Zerex had an earlier chart that was a bit more nuanced when it come to Asian vehicles:

http://www.englefieldoil.com/PDF/Zerex_chart.pdf

You'll notice Honda calls for G-05, apparently due to Honda's reservations about one of the plasticizers in DexCool.

One advantage of G-05 over DexCool is that the recovery from cavitation damage to the coating on the coolant system surfaces is more rapid.

As to ph, take a look at my earlier effort and BASF references:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=000161

The HOAT and OAT Zerex products are made under an agreement between Ashland and BASF.

Aren't the Japanese manuf. concerns about silicates based on people using tap water instead of distilled, plus failing to regularly change the coolant? I maintain two Nissan vehicles ('98 and '02) and a Kawasaki ('99) and I was planning on moving them all over to G-05. The new chart would have me using DexCool instead?!

Argh--why is this topic so confusing?!
mad.gif

Each antifreeze (traditional green, G-05, and Dex-Cool) has it's pros and cons.

On the grand scale of things, the materials each manufacturer uses in their cooling systems (aluminum or brass radiators, cast aluminum heads, cast iron blocks, rubber hoses, etc.) does not vary much with respect to coolant requirements.

Manufacturer recommendations aside, it stands to reason that the choice in antifreeze is for some other nebulous reason. Blake brought up a couple - manufacturer concerns over tap water, and people neglecting their maintenance. Mickey brought up another -- cavitation damage, which is probably more important to diesels.

I would like to say if you have a new vehicle that is under warranty. Read your warranty and read what the coolant companys say in there adds. If they state compatible with Dexcool that does not mean it meets the Dexcool Spec. If they say suitable replacement for Dexcool that does not mean it meets the Dexcool Spec. Using anything but what the OEM calls for can void your warranty. If your not concerned about warrenty use what ever you want as long as you have a clue as to what you are putting in. On a seperate note the GO-5 spec does not require OAT or HOAT chemistry to meet it. Its is actually an old spec that has been brought back into the fore front recently and many traditional green coolants can meet it but have not been put through the test to get the approval.

I live in BC and can't find Zerex GO5 anywhere. The Chrysler dealers have mopar hoat but want a small fortune for what I need, Cummins 5.9 liter diesel engine in the dodge ram. Could anyone point me to a retailer, say between Vancouver B.C. and Seattle Washington that stocks it. Thanks!

The G-05 designation is a BASF designation.

It is short for "Glysantin 05".

Glysantin 05 is a HOAT low-silicate formula, nitrite-containing, amine-free, and phosphate-free. It's a "universal" formula, which means it can be used in both gas and diesel engines (the nitrite is for diesels).

If you can't find Zerex G05, Ford's Gold, Chrysler's, Mercedes-Benz, and some European brands (e.g., Petrosyn) meet the same specification.

I'm in Vancouver and I remember seeing Zerex G-05 just a week or two ago. Can't remember exactly where, but it was probably at Canadian Tire. Try calling around.

After reading this thread and looking at the Zerex chart I did a search to find out what I should use to top off my green Nissan antifreeze and I still have absolutely no idea unless I go to the dealer and spring for their overpriced stuff.
dunno.gif

I guess for now I will just add water.
pat.gif
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:

My 2001 Mazda (Owned by Ford I realize) came from the factory with red coolant. I had the dealer flush it at 30K miles and they used some Motorcraft "Specialty" coolant that was also red, but appeared slightly more orange in color.

Peak makes a "World formula" which is supposed to be usable in anything. It's "amber" in color.

Previously i used Zerex regular old green coolant in my VW jetta. It "said" to not use coolant containing phosphates, but i went with green anyway, and when i sold it after 11 years and 225,000 miles, there seemed to be no problems at all. Then again, i changed the coolant out every year.

quote:

Originally posted by Bamaro:
After reading this thread and looking at the Zerex chart I did a search to find out what I should use to top off my green Nissan antifreeze and I still have absolutely no idea unless I go to the dealer and spring for their overpriced stuff.
dunno.gif

I guess for now I will just add water.
pat.gif
shocked.gif

Top-off with any OTC coolant and it'll be fine. Just be advised that if you top-off a long-life system wtih a conventional coolant, you limit the service life of the long-life system to the life of the conventional coolant. There shouldn't be any serious compatibility issues, but it'd be best to stick with one chemistry and formulation.

Personally, if its been > 3 years since your last coolant change, drain the block and the radiator, refill with water, idle the engine for 15 minutes with the heater on, drain again, repeat, then refill with enough Supertech Extended Life ($7/gal) and water to achieve a 50/50 mixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back