Explain this GM Factory Oil Cooler Hose End...PLS HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope someone can explain this fitting to me. This is for a GM 350 4x4 truck. The oil filter doesn't spin on to the block, there is an adapter bolted onto the block which changes the direction of the filter, and provides a mount for the skinnier filter. This is necessary because the 4x4 gear would get in the way of the normal GM small block oil filter.

Another function of this adapter mount filter is that the oil cooler hoses go in and out from this adapter towards the oil cooler.

This is a photo of the end of the new oil cooler hose. It looks like the correct hose, but the one coming off of the adapter has a large nut between the filter/hose mount and the plastic thing at the end of the hose.

-

I can't picture what tightens the flare end onto the filter/hose mount if the nut is not already pre-installed on the end of the hose. I checked online photos of this part, plus another identical part at the parts store. It appears that the hose is not missing the nut I think it's missing.

I'm just not familiar with this kind of fitting, can anyone tell me how this hose gets secured to the filter/hose mount?

Here's a picture of the hoses going in to the filter/hose mount on the truck....same direction as the hose in the above picture is oriented. The nut on the mount is to the left of the orange plastic thing which is the same piece as the black plastic thing on the new part.

-

Does anybody know how this fitting works? I don't want to force anything without knowing how it works.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hmmm...

Note the C-clip in the package. Maybe you loosen the nut, slide it back, remove the c-clip, then the nut can come off and be re-used?

Did I just answer my own question?

If so, what is the function of the plastic piece?

Got me swinging. Even with your detailed description I'm still at a loss
confused.gif
It kinda reminds me of my fuel filter on my Tempo. Just two plastic clips kept it together. They just kept the flared part of the tubing from backing out of the receiving end of the tubing on either end
dunno.gif

These look like the same connectors used on my GM truck's oil cooler and tranmission cooler lines (6.5L TD and Duramax/Allison). Once you remove the C-clip the line should just pull out. IIRC there is also an O-ring inside the fitting..

smile.gif

nice to know that GM cant design around a decent sized oil filter. that would be just too hard. th "thimble" folter will do you just fine on an engine that is 3.8 times the size of my honda civic with the same physical size filter. just dandy. that plastic fitting only turns a quarter turn into the plastic reciever to lock it into place. they go into an integral O-ring in the cooler. i still do not understand how they work long term without leaking. *** GM part designed to get through the warranty period plus 3 months and then cost you about 7 grand for a new engine.
and GM wonders why they are losing out to toyota, honda, daewoo, and kia in the great product arms race that is being fought every way. when toyota designs something that bad i will buy a ford i guess. not holding my breath on that one. i just replaced all of the cooling lines on the old 88 toyota with 100% silicone reinforced ones. probably last another million miles or so. i plan on buying a GM product about never. build crap and go broke is the motto i was raised on in building construction. its nice to see that it carries over into cars. it just makes me sad that US jobs go down the toilet on this deal.

This fitting has 175,000 miles and 9 years on it.

The hose is leaking somewhere though.

But I understand where you're coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back