Corrosion X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this topic about a month ago:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=34;t=000038#000000

I just bought a can of corrosion X on some advise from a friend. I have had some back problems recently that have prevented me from working on the car. I wanted to know if anyone else has tried it and what their opinions were.

I also heard a rumor that walmart was now selling it in their marine section. Does anyone know if this is the case?
confused.gif

I’ve used Corrosion X for the last few years now on items that I need tenacious rust protection. In my experience, it works as advertised. It stops corrosion NOW, and seems to prevent it from reoccurring. I use it on parts of my boat and trailer, outdoor padlocks, and hand tools (like saws, pliers, my vice, etc.) that are not plated for protection. Corrosion X claims to be a penetrant and claims to have EP additives (which I can smell). I’ve never used it as a penetrant (I stick with my Penetro 90 or PB Blaster) and I have no idea what benefit the EP additives provide. But, as a corrosion inhibitor, it’s one of the best I’ve ever used.

Yeah. I know the people at our local rod real and gun store swear by it for their reels and firearms. I’m tempted to use it on my Ruger M77 since it is blued. Its ability to prevent corrosion is really amazing. BTW, all of their products are the same formulation except for the Heavy Duty version. They just re-label the product for marketing purposes according to their tech department.

In my experience, it exceeds just about any gun cleaner I’ve ever used (including CLP) at preventing rust, and it doesn’t seem to attract dust. Just for giggles, I’ve left a piece of mild steel treated with the CorrosionX outside for the past few months (kinda like Bob’s gear oil nail test). The metal is still bright, with no signs of rust. Pretty impressive. FWIW, I’ve also done the same thing with G96 gun cleaner and had similar results.

Of course, you probably already know that CorrosionX’s main business is to prevent/manage corrosion on airframes and aerospace electronics. This is a pretty demanding application.

corrosin X aviation or otherwise, ACF-50, Boe-sheild. they all work pretty good, displace moisutre , provided a thin barrier from moisture and some provife a small lubricity.
they are at best a 14-20 day application depending on the environment, some may only last 7 days or less if its raining on the protected part.
ACF-50 makes one that foams on contact. its great at penetrating tight tolerances and wicking out moisture. there are literally hundreds of different formulas based on your application.

wd40 works to but doesnt last as long,
yes I have been a corrosin expert for just under 35 years, but i dont stay at holiday inn express

quote:

Originally posted by powerboatr:
corrosin X aviation or otherwise, ACF-50, Boe-sheild. they all work pretty good, displace moisutre , provided a thin barrier from moisture and some provife a small lubricity.
they are at best a 14-20 day application depending on the environment, some may only last 7 days or less if its raining on the protected part.
ACF-50 makes one that foams on contact. its great at penetrating tight CLEARANCES and wicking out moisture. there are literally hundreds of different formulas based on your application.

wd40 works to but doesnt last as long,
yes I have been a corrosin expert for just under 35 years, but i dont stay at holiday inn express

Products like Corrosion X and ACF-50 (which I prefer) are used to fog airframes and do an excellent job of protecting from intergrandular and filliform corrosion but they're sacrificial and need to be applied every year or so. They work well for other applications too.

It'll stop corrosion already in progress. I once had an enclosure of electrical equipment that was badly corroded after submersion in water. After spraying the gear with ACF-50 and waiting a day the clean up was nothing short of amazing.

The stuff shines as an penetrant and as corrosion protection for electrical connections or fasteners. It's the best penertrant I've ever used and has worked in every case where others have failed. Try putting dry bolts upside down in a few bottle caps filled with various penetrants and come back in a day or two and see which one has climbed the bolt furthest. And the way it weeps for months out of every nook and cranny in an airframe will make you a believer.

I've used this stuff to remove everything from rusted to galled SS fasteners. Besides the two aircraft I service I use it on everything. It has replaced every other product I used to employ except those needed for lubrication. As stated, it's not much of a lubricant and tends to attract dust like a magnet.

All that said, it's not designed as a substitute for undercoating on a vehicle. I wouldn't use it on wheel wells, ect, because it doesn't last and would be washed away. Besides, it cost something like $100 a gallon. Buy a small aerosol can and use it the same way you'd use other products designed as penetrants or contact cleaners.

quote:

Originally posted by chenobylite:
Products like Corrosion X and ACF-50 (which I prefer) are used to fog airframes and do an excellent job of protecting from intergrandular and filliform corrosion but they're sacrificial and need to be applied every year or so. They work well for other applications too.

It'll stop corrosion already in progress. I once had an enclosure of electrical equipment that was badly corroded after submersion in water. After spraying the gear with ACF-50 and waiting a day the clean up was nothing short of amazing.

The stuff shines as an penetrant and as corrosion protection for electrical connections or fasteners. It's the best penertrant I've ever used and has worked in every case where others have failed. Try putting dry bolts upside down in a few bottle caps filled with various penetrants and come back in a day or two and see which one has climbed the bolt furthest. And the way it weeps for months out of every nook and cranny in an airframe will make you a believer.

I've used this stuff to remove everything from rusted to galled SS fasteners. Besides the two aircraft I service I use it on everything. It has replaced every other product I used to employ except those needed for lubrication. As stated, it's not much of a lubricant and tends to attract dust like a magnet.

All that said, it's not designed as a substitute for undercoating on a vehicle. I wouldn't use it on wheel wells, ect, because it doesn't last and would be washed away. Besides, it cost something like $100 a gallon. Buy a small aerosol can and use it the same way you'd use other products designed as penetrants or contact cleaners.

ACF-50 is also great for removing oil finger prints and oil and grease stains on cowlings. It also leaves a shiney apperence too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back