Autolite copper plugs in my VW GTI 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '00 VW GTI 1.8T came from the factory with NGK spark plugs. Being the spend-thrift that I am, I replaced the factory plugs at 45k miles with some $1.25 each Autolite 3923 copper plugs.

Several folks on the vwvortex had said these plugs wouldn't stand up to the 1.8T. I thought they would. Well, I ran those little suckers for 15k miles in my 1.8T. I replaced them today with more Autolite 3923's.

I was expecting the worst from the old plugs. Much to my surprise, the plugs that I removed today looked almost as good as new. The center elecrodes were in very good shape. In fact, I checked the gap on the old plugs, & they were the same as when I put them in (.031")

I'll never go back to the expensive NGK's, & I'm leaving these 3923's in for 25k miles this time.

Honestly, when I had my car at a muffler shop (also witnessed a **** can install on a Probe), a mechanic did mention that some of the platinum plugs would fail (the guy did have a Vee Dub)and he should check them before anything else.

Kudos for trying something new and proving someone wrong.

Now that you mention it, I'd better get to seeing if mine are OK....

Platinums have bad results on neons too. They burn out very fast and cause misfires right from the start.
Good old Champions or NGK coppers have the best results.

I'm using some Autolite copper in a 93 Taurus, instead of the single electrode platinums. It's an older car with low but even compression, and I was trying to get as healthy of a spark as possible to burn the lower compression mix that probably has more oil than regular mixed in it, so I tried a 'performance coil' and some copper plugs with a slightly larger gap. I'm only about a 1000 miles into the experiment but it runs well so far, better on the highway.

I thought Iridium plugs were good for 100k. Also if the Autolites were looking good @ 15k why did you change them? Ive been gettting 40k + out of Bosch coppers in my old Bimmers

In the interest of full disclosure, VW's listed replacement interval for the expensive NGK plugs is every 40k miles for my car. When I removed the factory NGK plugs at 45k, they still looked good & probably would have been good for another 25k miles, IMO.

So, even though the Autolite copper plugs work fine in my car, they probably need to be changed more often than the NGK's. Even with changing the copper plugs more often, I still come out ahead $$$-wise over the NGK's.

andyh,
I went ahead & changed the plugs because yesterday was scheduled on my calender as "car repair day".
smile.gif
Plus, if I had put the old plugs back in, I would have been paranoid that they would fail at the worst possible time.

I ran 19-20 psi of boost in my 03 1.8T Jetta for 55k on the cheapo autolite copper plugs. No problems at all for me.

Man oh man. I heard autolite and Champion wer ethe worst plugs on the market. my last plugs were Bosch platinums +2 and they sucked.

I have NGK V-power right now and they are the best plugs I have ever had.

"I have NGK V-power right now and they are the best plugs I have ever had."

I preferred NGKs on the bikes that I use to own, and they were the first copper plug that I tried. The first one as too hot, and the next heat range is too cold, so Autolite it is.

I've not read or experienced good things with platinums in high-boost applications.

I've had good resutls with iridium, friends with high-boost applications note similarly good results with copper and iridium.

I run iridium in my blown Expedition only because the plugs are a PITA to change and I believe the iridium will last longer than copper.

Odd..we both have Expeditions and GTIs...

i've had several packs of autolites that had a teeny tiny hairline cracks that caused a misfire at idle from several different store locations. i thought the first time was a fluke but i wont purchase that brand again. both times i returned and swapped out for ac-delco or champion brand. I really like the iridiums and also run one in my 15hp tractor with great results. the tractor is allot smoother, runs great and leaves me a bit more fuel at the end of the mow in its clear tank and the vehicles seem to be smoother and idle real nice.

if you have a vehicle that is a pita to chage I'd probably tell you to get a good quality plug if your planning on keeping it longer than what you'd change a copper plug at. some of those v8's and v6's are horrible to change in some cars. access panels.

..mudd
s, double knuckle extensions..

quote:

My '00 VW GTI 1.8T came from the factory with NGK spark plugs. Being the spend-thrift that I am, I replaced the factory plugs at 45k miles with some $1.25 each Autolite 3923 copper plugs.

Several folks on the vwvortex had said these plugs wouldn't stand up to the 1.8T. I thought they would. Well, I ran those little suckers for 15k miles in my 1.8T. I replaced them today with more Autolite 3923's.

I was expecting the worst from the old plugs. Much to my surprise, the plugs that I removed today looked almost as good as new. The center elecrodes were in very good shape. In fact, I checked the gap on the old plugs, & they were the same as when I put them in (.031")

I'll never go back to the expensive NGK's, & I'm leaving these 3923's in for 25k miles this time.

Bosch Super Copper plugs bought at Autozone for .99 cents are very good as well.

http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/SparkPlugs/Super/

i've tired the Auto-Lites in a few vehicles and they didn't seem to last very long.

my 4.0 liter actually melted one of the electrodes on the plug, and ever since i've switched to NGK V-powers i haven't had a problem.

Same for me, Autolite seems to get less mpg at around 20k miles, when NGK is getting very good mpg at 30k still. Now I am running Champion Platnium ($2 ea), cost about the same as NGK when not on sale, but seems to last very long and have even better mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back