Ford V10motor locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the oil is claimed by Ford to be the cause of failure then Ford will use that as their sole defense. If the sample is fine then Ford will defend that the sample was not from that motor or there is no evidence that the sample is from that motor. This is why Brandon is a witness. The problem is he works for the dealer and a conflict exists if Cathy subpeonas him on her behalf. If he lies under oath then a hole exists with the use of UOA. With that hole now they push an extended interval ouside their recommended change intervals. They will lay out that the customer was neglectfull in the oil changes therefore potentially causing premature bearing wear.

You can't have holes!

Cathy go to the used oil analysis (UOA)forum of this website to see examples.

I can't say the legalities of anything, but:

a) I would leave Amsoil out of this, what your Amsoil rep tells you is immaterial (but may even be good advice) and Amsoil corporate certain won't want to be involved.
b) The oil was Pennzoil, correct? I would get them involved. What are they saying, now?
c) You may want to post your entire analysis in the UOA for commentary, but I don't know how this would effect a potential lawsuit.
d) You may want to involve an oil analysis expert, who may later become an expert witness. You may want to contact Terry Dyson (he's a sponsor here), his fee is rather low to interpret your UOA....but I can't say how/if he gets involved in matters such as your, nor can I guesstimate his fees.

What are the wear metal numbers (Fe, Pb, Al, Cu, Sn, etc?)
TBN?
Viscosity?
Which lab? Oxidation?

My recommendation is that you not post the UAO until after the legal proceedings are over, unless of course all court documents are sealed by court order.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

I can't say the legalities of anything, but:

Neither can I but seems I've already stated my opinion on that . I would NOT post the labs comments or Pennzoils though .

Best of luck to you though hoping you can contribute to the forum with an analysis of your new engine , whoever ultimately pays for it . If you or your attorney truly feels you should not post the analysis of the failed engine which is the heart of the matter here anyway and of keen interest to some of us I still wish you luck .
cheers.gif

Key words would be to post the elemental analysis and not the analytical findings . But hey , I got to
burnout.gif

[ August 12, 2004, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Ok, motorbike, you just went wwwaaayyy over my head. Remember, I am a novice at this. My forte' is teaching school and cleaning house! so your going to have to come down to my level....not analytical and elemental!!???!!

Also remember, the Magnuson-Moss Act that says that they cannot deny my warranty just because we went over the "recopmmended" oil change!

quote:

Originally posted by Cathy Covington:
Ok, motorbike, you just went wwwaaayyy over my head. Remember, I am a novice at this. My forte' is teaching school and cleaning house! so your going to have to come down to my level....not analytical and elemental!!???!!

Also remember, the Magnuson-Moss Act that says that they cannot deny my warranty just because we went over the "recopmmended" oil change!

Actually, the MM act states they cannot require a brand of replacement/maint items unless they supply them for free. They can recommend all they want and a manufacturer can specify maint intervals - for liability reasons. If you are outside the interval, then you absolve them of MOST liability. So other posters are right, the onus is on you to prove the oil is NOT a cause.

At this point all ford has to do to defend is show the stated actual interval vs recommended interval.

Right now your chief argument is: "the oil is good and this is my proof". And for every UOA you have, they will come up with one of their own, it would be good if ALL the oil from that motor was currently claimed and under lock and key...it is after all your property.

btw - I rebuild motors professionally. One of my warranty 'requirements' is that the break in oil be changed at 1000 miles, and 3000 miles severe or commercial, 5000 miles highway service. I even recommend grades and filters based on the engine work done. My warranty was written by an atty and is not designed to cheat anyone or not accept responsibility, but rather protect myself from the other guys negligence. Fortunately I have never had a comeback but you have to protect yourself, which is what ford has done also.

sometimes motors do fail. Id like to see the insides of yours, cranks for not lock to bearing saddles without a lot of forewarning noise and smoke. Most likely the pistons locked in the bores, which to play devils advocate, makes sense, fords modular engines have been plagued with excessive piston/bore clearance and resulting slap in the past. perhaps a new motor with a tighter skirt clearance gave it up under heavy conditions....

Ford wont rebuild that motor, they will replace it. preferrably at your cost. the core MIGHT get torn down for analysis.

quote:

My recommendation is that you not post the UAO until after the legal proceedings are over, unless of course all court documents are sealed by court order.

Further, I would speak to the attorney regarding not posting on this thread entirely until litigation is over. I am sure Ford has a computer or two. The general rule in litigation is make people work for their discovery, because they will make you work for yours.

School has started and I have been EXTREMELY busy! I teach school and work at the dance studio! I am still waiting to hear something from the lawyer and will update you as soon as I know something. Once again, I just can't thank all of you enough for all the help you have given me! BTW, My husband and daughter traveled to Alabama last weekend and she got 5th overall out of 42! Of course, they had to stay in a motel!

My daughter will begin to defend her title next weekend as the Texas-Oklahoma Pro Circuit Series Champion. there are 5 races in that sereis...allat least 6 hours from here. September the 19th she will defend her title as the GNC Good Times National Ladies Champion. She currently rides a KX125 but we are hoping to get a 250F soon! I am currently sending out resumes for the 2004-2005 season. Anyone out there want to sponsor a cute little girl from Arkansas...maybe with a motor,RV or Camper????? HA! I have to find some humor! She is also currently ranked 5th overall in the Women's Motocross Association amatuer ranks. There are 2 more races in that series...one in Pennsylvania and one in New York..which we probably won't be able to attend because we don't have the motorhome. The Big WMA finale will be held in San Antonio at Thanksgiving. If we have to sleep in a tent...We will be there! Hopefully, if all goes well, she will turn Pro after that event!

Cathy,

Congratulations!! You must be proud of your daughter. That is one heck of an accomplishment. Motocross racing has to be one of the most difficult and challenging sports out there. What age did she start at?

cheers.gif

She got her first bike for Christmas when she was 7. she was so small that she couldn't even touch the ground on the KTM 50. (Her legs were so short she had neve been able to pedal a bicycle) She just took off around the back yard. she raced her first race in March the week that she turned 8. She made one lap to the other boys 3 laps. charles and I ran the entire track behind her! (We were in better shape back then HA!) She got a trophy and was hooked for life! She did some hare scrambles but she said that those people didn't get on TV and she wanted to be on TV! So motocorss it was. She is 16 now and has been doing this every weekend for 8 years. A lot of people ask us how we can let our little girl do this. Being a school teacher and working at the dance studio I hear what goes on on the weekends. I am soooo proud my child is with me!It is a great family sport. We have met so many wonderful people! The one in Pennsylvania is at Steel City. I am sorry I am off topic here but I am always very proud to talk about her. She has worked very hard to gain respect from her male counterparts. (she got run over a lot in the beginning) They respect her, they help her out and train with her. She also makes a point of talking to any little girls that show up at the track to encourage them. For a very long time she was the only girl at the track...thus the name "The Queen" aka Taryn "It Up" Covington. Her trailer says "that fast girl your momma warned you about" Our normal routine was ; load on Thursday, get in the motorhome as soon as school is out on Friday, Dad makes the usual at least 6 hour drive there, race and then drive home on Sunday. Unload on Monday, I wash clothes, Dad washes and works on everything else, then we start again. I just want to get back to that. We have a race starting next weekend, every weekend until Thanksgiving. Motels are going to get very expensive, if we don't get something done soon. Thanks so much for allowing me to talk about my baby!

Thats incredible!
cheers.gif

Dad has his hands full maintaining that bike! It would take me 6-10 hours a week to do tear downs and get the bike ready for the following race. Dirt, dirt, dirt!

Let us know how things progress on the ford.

I just found out that there is an OASIS report...I don't know what that is...that says that my motor failed due to "lack of oil" not dirty oil. The service manager told me that they drained the oil out when they dropped the pan and it was full. That is also the day that he told em that the oil was "pretty clean" but now the oil had been discarded. Do you sence my confusion?

Found this on the net.
Oasis report? Dr. Bob, what's that?
quote:

An OASIS is a service message from Ford Engineering to Ford (and
Lincoln-
Mercury) dealers. They are issued much quicker than a Technical Service
Bulletin (TSB).

Since they are much quicker, they are not always complete.
Some might tell of a known problem, and the message is that Engineering
is
working on it. A TSB would have the fix included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back