BMW = Break My Wallet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nel

My family has a 1995 BMW 525iT station wagon which we bought as a Pre-certified Used car from the dealer when we had our first child. All in all, it runs well for a car with 145K miles: BMW 525iT UOA

It just seems that every year I have to put in about 10% of the purchase price into repairs. I started doing maintenance items myself (brakes, struts, etc.)--thinking this is the year I'll come in below 10%

Hardly--the transmission died so a rebuilt one was installed for about $2,600. Now, I have a small coolant leak. I put in a UV tracer dye, and it appears to be coming from the rear of the engine--indicating either a cracked cylinder head or head gasket. Apparently, either problem is not uncommon for this engine.

What do you think? It's a small leak. Should I try Prestone Super Radiator Stop Leak? Or is that just asking for more trouble? I'm not too thrilled about putting another $1,500-$3,000 into it, but that's a lot less expensive than a new car.

Both my toyotas have coolant consumption issues from day 1. My 2000 camry with 68,000km consumes coolant at a rate of 40ml per 1000km, and my 2002 ipsum with 10,000km consumes coolant at a rate of 30ml per 1000km. UOAs dont pick it up and there are no visible leaks on the outside, so I just live with it.

Some of my friends have BMW's, after a few years we started to call them BMtroubleu's!
grin.gif
Lame joke.
wink.gif

cool.gif
My dad has one, I told him the letters stood for either Bring My Wallet or Bavarian Money Wastebasket.
grin.gif
My personal feeling is that they are great cars as long as they are on warranty. Friend of mine owns a high-end import shop (if your rig isn't worth at least $30k it's not allowed in
nono.gif
) and he's told me that a lot of people buy BMW's but not too many get a second one. Having one 9 years old with 145k on it is asking for trouble IMO. My advice to anybody who wants one would be to lease new ones for 3 years at a crack and turn them in when the warranty is up. Sorry, my .02.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
Both my toyotas have coolant consumption issues from day 1. My 2000 camry with 68,000km consumes coolant at a rate of 40ml per 1000km, and my 2002 ipsum with 10,000km consumes coolant at a rate of 30ml per 1000km. UOAs dont pick it up and there are no visible leaks on the outside, so I just live with it.

You really need to consider if you have a head gasket leak that only occurs when the engine is cold, the gasket has minute cracks that permit coolant to seep into the combustion chamber and blow out the exhaust. Never enough to pick up on a UOA but is destructive to the engine (especially bearing long term.) IF you have done a UOA and the lead wear is abnormal you may have this problem. Coolant should not consistently be needed to be added to any cooling system. This type of leak will not show up in a UOA with a glycol screen.

If you drive low miles a used certified BMW is the way to go. Its fully warrantied for 6 yrs/100,000 miles from original purchase. Beyond that dump the thing the first year or two unless you find a great BMW mechanic with low rates.

My friend is a BMW technician. His advice... lease for 3 years, NEVER! buy. His reasoning, BMW (and others...) becoming too complicated. He spends most of his days troubleshooting electrical gremlins, rarely does any pure mechanical work anymore. Compares new cars like the 745 to airplanes, says there is more wire in there than you can comprehend...!!!

He also says that, contrary to what the salesman will tell you...resale value is POOR! If you can afford a BMW, you will buy or (see above)lease a NEW! BMW, not a used one.

Lastly, he is a wealthy man due to aggressive stock market investing; he works as a hobby. He can drive anything he wants. He drives a Honda...says they are well built, reasonably priced, decent warranty.

He also says to ask yourself if a BMW or Mercedes is such a SUPERIOR car, why not back it up with a 10 year comprehensive warranty...twice (or more) the price, twice the warranty. Makes sense...

grin.gif
shocked.gif

Wow I musta got lucky with my 15yr old one with 185k miles that runs and performs like new.
rolleyes.gif

nono.gif

I agree about the new ones though. And that I-drive is a joke. I would never buy a new one for the simple fact BMW won't release computer coding for the aftermarket to be able to create diagnositic software.
I'm sure they will in 5-10 years though. They are argueably the best with support of old models. They have every part of EVERY BMW every made available and if not...they will make it. They created a parts CD that is the same thing dealers have and released it for pre- '92 vehicles. Has diagrams and every part number. You can get it at every dealer for about $30.
But you may get sneers and sighs from the a-hole with the new 7-series because you are holding up the line with your lowly 15 yr old vehicle. Heaven forbid!

My experience is totally different. The Ford F-150 has been much more expensive to own than the 325i. Both were purchased used with high mileage for a low price. Unless they have an extended warranty, what value is a "Certified" used car?

All cars and trucks are becoming electrically complex, even the supposedly "perfect" Japanese. Dad's Camry had several trips to the dealer service department because of a side "airbag" electrical fault that kept flashing warnings on the dash.

While I think I-drive and "Bangled" styling are not good, I still cant find anything that has a better combination of handing and overall smoothness of operation for the price ($28k for a 3-series).

The tendency to over complicate extends to ALL manufacturers, not just the Germans. If manufacturers simplified some of their products, and LOWERED! the price accordingly, they might be surprised at how many they sold...

As for BMW, the current 3 series, and the old 5 series (sadness...) have some of the cleanest lines around...period.

The Z4, 5 and 7 series, well, to each his own, I guess...

frown.gif
wink.gif

Well, I've had some time to think things over and have decided to put the money into this car. The interior is in good shape; it drives well. It's given us 100K miles over the past five years with hardly any trouble (until recently). When you think about it, 190 HP out of a 2.5 liter engine will definitely stress components much more than the American V8's I'm used to.

BMW's are known for their robust bottom ends; it's just the top ends that need major service every 150K miles or so. If I can get another 150K miles out of this car for the $4K-$6K I will have put into it, that's not too bad. Just have to keep my fingers crossed on the other major subsystems
dunno.gif

Another option for older vehicles is to check out the recyclers; many specialize in only one or two brands and good parts are often available for less than half of new. I dont know the situation for older BMWs, but for Hondas this route can save you some serious money.

grin.gif

Its so hard to find a really decent used BMW. Either folks get them and don't care for them properly, or the others are just lemons. I won't lease either because there is almost no financial advantage anymore. Cap cost reduction and other up-front payments make it close to a wash compared to conventional financing over the coarse of ownership, all things considered.

I used to want a Beemer when I retire (another year) but 3 things are changing my mind. Chris Bangle, I-Drive, and the new 5. I'm figuring it won't be long before the 3-series falls victim. Anyone know where I can get a nice used E46-M3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back