Is engine steam cleaning safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
offtopic.gif
I was so anal as a young man that I would take all of the Aluminum parts off on my vechiles and polish them to a high luster. Then paint any graphics on the engine. People always thought my parts were chrome plated!

I clean my motors all the time with a garden hose. If you do it once every couple of months its easy to keep clean. After the washing i start it and let idle for a few minute then take it on a 15 minute cruise to dry things up.

Caution! Do not try to hose off a hot engine!
wink.gif

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 4500 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 81000 Miles.

[ September 01, 2003, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

Occasional cleaning probably won't harm anything.
My buddy cleaned his engine compartment so thoroughly and so often that he caused many of his electrical connections to deteriorate. He had to replace his whole BMW wiring harness! Yes he's like that about clothing, house cleaning etc.

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I washed the engine and toasted the TCP sensor, a 100-200 repair if you do not have the tools. Here it is for those that have the GC ---
 -

Has anyone used Amsoil Power Foam for engine cleaning.
I am thinking of using it to clean my 100,000 Ford Taurus engine. I haved used pressure washers in the past but don't have access to one now.

steam cleaning will draw out the natural oils in rubber and make them brittle over time. on an old car, steam cleaning could mean major problems down the road because of already brittling rubber being pushed over the edge

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
If you examine the cap of the brake reservoir, it is a vented design and not air tight! I wonder myself why they cant make it airtight.

because the reservoir part of a brake system needs to be at ambient pressure, otherwise it would do nasty things to the reservoir and the braking system as a whole.

I rarely washdown my engine compartment, but when I do I wrap the distriuter, the altenator, and the ignition coil with plastic grocery bags. I then use a little spray on foaming cleaner where things are heavily soiled, scrubbing if needed. A few minutes later I hit things with the garden hose using a fan spray pattern, avoiding direct aim on the electric cooling fan, or just about any electric compontent for that matter. I'll come back for the rest with simple green, or it mixed with washing soda to help neutralize acids/salts around the battery tray. A water misting rinse and wipe down, then remove the bags and start the engine to further aid drying.

Note - An odd color change occurred the other year when a wash mix of simple green, washing soda and water reacted with some seeping M1, in that it turned purple! - It washed away of course. Just thought that interesting (I'm no chemist).

It was noted in my car's manual that the engine bay was coated with a wax treatment to further protection against corrosion, so be mindful when cleaning such treated vehicles - one may wish to re-treat after things dry having used a heavy degreaser. I sprayed around the battery with a waxing lubricant used on motorcycle chains as a precaution.

offtopic.gif

I've read around here about the use of pledge as a detail/light cleaner for under the hood - just might give it try...things sure seem to get dusty quickly! Hate to imagine running without an air cleaner.
freak2.gif

If your car is only 3 1/2 years old, steam cleaning might be overkill. I've always used Simple Green cleaner - you can buy the stuff in most any grocery store ... I think they also make an automotive version that you'll find in auto parts stores. Simple Green plus just a garden hose should clean the engine up nicely. This routine, done at each oil change, will have the engine compartment looking new when the car is ten years old.

quote:

Originally posted by Thermactor:

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
If you examine the cap of the brake reservoir, it is a vented design and not air tight! I wonder myself why they cant make it airtight.

because the reservoir part of a brake system needs to be at ambient pressure, otherwise it would do nasty things to the reservoir and the braking system as a whole.

I don't think this is true, as I understand it the system has to be sealed to prevent the absorbtion of moisture.

I have one of those small pressure washers that's about 1300 cfm and costs about $100. I've cleaned my engines several times about every 2 years or so. I do the following:

Warm the engine up somewhat. Spray Simple Green on the very greasy and underneath parts. Let it sit while I tie plastic grocery bags around everything electrical or anything I want to keep dry. Then I cover again some electrical items with tin foil. You can squeeze the tin foil so it's form fitting. Then take one of those fake chamois-like car wash mits. Dip it in soapy water and wipe down the real dirty areas. Then I take my pressure washer with the water flow set kind of wide... so it won't drill a hole in anything.... and rinse it all down. I never do the very top of the motor around the spark plugs. That area I just wipe down with Simple Green.

Let it dry a bit and then I take my sidewalk/driveway leaf blower and blow it dry.

Afterward, I take some Armorall like stuff and mix a bit with water and wipe it on the rubber parts like the radiator and AC hoses. I don't want them very shiney, hence the mix with water. Remove the plastic bags and tin foil and it is all clean.

I have one of those small pressure washers that's about 1300 cfm and costs about $100. I've cleaned my engines several times about every 2 years or so. I do the following:

Warm the engine up somewhat. Spray Simple Green on the very greasy and underneath parts. Let it sit while I tie plastic grocery bags around everything electrical or anything I want to keep dry. Then I cover again some electrical items with tin foil. You can squeeze the tin foil so it's form fitting. Then take one of those fake chamois-like car wash mits. Dip it in soapy water and wipe down the real dirty areas. Then I take my pressure washer with the water flow set kind of wide... so it won't drill a hole in anything.... and rinse it all down. I never do the very top of the motor around the spark plugs. That area I just wipe down with Simple Green.

Let it dry a bit and then I take my sidewalk/driveway leaf blower and blow it dry.

Afterward, I take some Armorall like stuff and mix a bit with water and wipe it on the rubber parts like the radiator and AC hoses. I don't want them very shiney, hence the mix with water. Remove the plastic bags and tin foil and it is all clean.

Amazing! This thread is revived after 3 years! Well to give you guys an update of what I do nowadays, I buy a can of engine degreaser, spray it all over when the engine is cold, wait 10 mins, then hose it all off with a garden hose. I dont bother covering anything in plastic. I try not to spary excessively into my alternator. That's it. Im too cheapskate to bring it in for a S$70 steam clean or buy my own industrial stream cleaner for S$1000+.

I use S100 motorcycle cleaner. It is a rather strong surfactant and it is popular with the Harley crowd. It really cleans and leaves a nice finish on the cleaned parts. It is made in Germany, and is rather pricey at the Harley dealers. It is also excellent on alloy wheels.

quote:

Originally posted by Jack from Charlotte:
I have one of those small pressure washers that's about 1300 cfm and costs about $100.

heh.. you mean PSI, 1300CFM is ~9700 gallons per minute.
cheers.gif

I did the Amsoil Power Foam and it worked quite well. I just sprayed it on the cool engine that had a fair amount of grease and rinsed with cold water.

I started and let it dry and it was nice and clean with no petroleum residue.

CD-2(makers of SLOB) make a great Engine Cleaner/Detailer combo!

It used to be available at Target, but I've seen it at AZ and PB...

I would say the Detailer is very very nice! If anything left is dirty, it will hide it well and cover everything with a nice, even sheen...

Man, I need to buy some more after reading this thread!
I'll also have to clean my engine soon
smile.gif

Simple Green and a garden hose is all I've ever used - 2 vehicles are getting up there, one is 9yrs old and the other is 21yrs old = engine bays are very clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back