what kind of oil for rear diff on 1997 lincoln town car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay. so after spending hours and hours and hours reading stuff about passenger vehicle lubricants, i conclude that a schaeffers (sp?) product is a good way for me to go.

so, i dig out my owners manual and am informed by the helpful souls at ford motorcar that i need for the rear axle "motorcraft premium rear axle lubricant."

***?

schaeffers doesn't appear to make "motorcraft premium rear axle lubricant," and i haven't been able to find even a hint about what viscosity, etc. "motorcraft premium rear axle lubricant" actually is.

at the risk of advertising my neuroses to one and all, nevertheless, i am reluctant to use a product where i can't compare numbers.

ugh.

(btw, i had no idea it was going to be so much work just to figure out what to dump in my car. even you guys can't agree, and you seem to know a whole lot more about the subject than the guy who wrote the tc owners manual, or, for that matter the clowns at the local stealership.)

[ April 19, 2003, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: mrmousepotato ]

-

I'm guessing that you have the 8.8 that Ford uses in most of their RWD vehicles.
Use 75 or 80w /90 gear oil. If you have LSD, you'll need some LSD additive. Some gear oils have the LSD additive already.

[ April 20, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

If you actually READ your owner's manual it would have said to use an 80W-90 gear oil.

At least it says that in all of its Ford vehicle owner's manuals (what weight gear oil to use). The rest you should be able to figure it out.

Most of the new towncars call for a 75w-140 synthetic, so I'd double check that. I believe Schaeffers may make a product that will work here. I'd e-mail Bob Winters offline and ask him ....

TooSlick

metroplex: i did read the manual. twice, in fact, cover to cover. i quoted exactly what information is contained therein on the subject. if it told me what i needed, i wouldn't have needed to ask. i own, by the way, a 1997 town car; perhaps ford has included more useful information in the manuals supplied with later years, but, i assure you that there is nothing in mine.

mrmouse: sorry if I sounded harsh.

My 1981 Ford owner's manual for the T-bird tells you to use 80W-90.

look under specifications, lubricants in the index.

For my 2000 Vic, it says to use Motorcraft SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant.

Rarely have I seen an incident where it does not specify the oil weight.

Nonetheless, use a full synthetic 75W-90, 80W-90, or Schaeffer's 267 blend.

mrmousepotato, I loved your initial post. In fact, the style looked exactly like something I would have written while complaining about one of the many proprietary Honda fluids ... whether it was their secret power steering goo ... or the mystery juice used in CRV rear ends.
rolleyes.gif

In fact, I thought you might be a long lost twin brother of mine ... or possibly a clone made years ago without my permission.
confused.gif

... then I saw that you drive a Lincoln Town Car and I knew that couldn't possibly be the case.
wink.gif

Good luck searching for your secret snipe lube.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back