Small engine filters made by ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the filters section some time back, but it seems to be dying there.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001601

Have any of you dissected your small engine oil filters to determine who really makes them?

The little bit of feedback I've gotten seems to be-
Briggs=Wix
Kohler=AC (made by Champion?)
JD Replacement Canadian FRAM?

Any other input would be appreciated.

Bill

Briggs is using Champion now, all the B&S powered riding mowers i've seen at Home Depot had filters with the stamp Champion uses to say where the filter is made.

I have a JD Kawasaki motor that I put a sandwich adapter on. I currently run a Purolator Pure One PL 10241 filter. The biggest I can get with the 3/4" thread.

The motor oil run very hot and I added a cooler. Even with 10w40 Amsoil and the cooler after a 2 hour mow in 90F temps the oil will be around 250F.

I am going to rig up some fans for the cooler.

quote:

Originally posted by SHOZ:
I have a JD Kawasaki motor that I put a sandwich adapter on. I currently run a Purolator Pure One PL 10241 filter. The biggest I can get with the 3/4" thread.

Not sure what this has to do with who makes OEM small engine filters?

Why don't you use the PURO PL14477 and have the gasket ACTUALLY be the right size?

This is the post I wanted to bump up to see if anyone has additional info on-
WHO MAKES WHAT FILTER?

It's been 1-1/2 years so I thought I'd bump this up to see if anybody has new/or additional data.

Quote:

Have any of you dissected your small engine oil filters to determine who really makes them?

Bill, I wish I had! I didn't have my fancy 'oil filter opener' When I first bought my Cub Cadet. I would have loved to open that hydro filter and Kohler engine filter.
pat2.gif
On a side note, I just opened a Napa Gold 51516 that I had in service for 1yr/50hrs with Shell Rotella-T 5w-40 on my Kohler Command 20hp. The oil still was fairly golden/clear and the filter media looked new yet. With that size filter, that engine holds 2qts.

Joel

Here's two Briggs filter's i cut open there from last year and
the year before, there for my '2005 craftsman 18.5 hp intek

as you can see there a little different in construction
between the two,the bypass for one and one has thicker
media also..hope this help's

p.s, anyone want to save these pics go ahead the wife likes
to clean house 6 months to a year so they won't be here forever.but i'll try to avoid that..lol

88001-1.jpg

88006.jpg

88007.jpg

88004.jpg

88002-1.jpg

88003-1.jpg

88009.jpg

88010.jpg

88011.jpg

88012.jpg

88013.jpg

No problem,,anybody want to see a different view of something
else on the filter let me know and it'll snap it..

Oh i forgot the yellow one's are Briggs "high efficiency" oil
filter,they have a black and yellow version..

Great pics!
I'm thinking that is the less expensive Purolater due to the nitrile rubber ADBV?
Any filter experts out there?

I have some B&S,JD,and a "Chinese B&S" knockoff filters in the garage to be cut open, will post pic's soon...

I like the right side filter 5 pics down a little better,thicker
and more exposed media, big holes in the center tube,the only con against
it is it seems like the bypass is slightly weaker vs. the other one..but the
spec's should be the same,there both for the same app.

I have a brand-new Briggs 22hp v-twin on a mower, I should be doing a first oil change soon. Afterwards, I plan on cutting up the factory filter to see what the guts like. This may be old, known info but I will post some pics if anyone is interested. Help, I've caught the filter cutting disease...

I bought a Purolator PureOne yesterday as its replacement.

Kenny <>{

Yes please do post pics, get your self a nice filter cutter and
you'll be cutting open your neighbors filters too to see how they
look.
LOL.gif

The first 2 pic's are of a NAPA Gold that I run on my JD 20hp liquid cooled Kawasaki: cost $5.xx from NAPA

NAPA1.jpg

NAPA2.jpg

The next 2 are a John Deere filter (fram) that I ran once on the same engine as above, unless there was a mistake in manufacturing
there was no anti drain back valve on this filter: cost$12.xx from John Deere

JD1.jpg

JD2.jpg

This last filter had no name brand on the filter or package, it just said oil filter and on the back it said made in china. It is for a B&S 16hp Vanguard and I am very surprised at the quality : cost $7.xx from Tractor Supply Co.

BSCHINA.jpg

BSCHINA2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back