Best Oil & Filter for Kohler Pro V-Twin 25 hp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Sears Craftsman lawn tractor, 48 inch cut, DYT 4000 series, with a Kohler Pro, V-Twin, 25hp motor. I plan on keeping this mower for a long time. I will only use it for 30 to 40 hrs. of mowing each yr. I'm in NW Tn. and the temperature range when I'm mowing will be in the 70 to 95 degree range with the avg. mowing temp. being around 90. What would be the very best oil to use for this motor? I think it has a 2 qt. capacity. The filter that came on the motor is a spin-on Kohler Full Flow #52 50 02. Is there a better filter than Kohler, and if so, what would the brand and "crossover" reference # be? How long should I run the factory oil before changing it? Any help to my lengthy list of questions will be appreciated.

Hey pharmer,

I have a Craftsman DGT6000 with Kohler Pro V-Twin 27 HP. Changed oil and filter @ 7.5 hours using Chevron 10W30 and Motorcraft FL400S filter. Changed @ 15 hours using Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic and Motorcraft FL400S.

I am in North Florida... garden tractor is used year round. SuperTech (Wal-Mart) 3614 is a direct replacement for your Kohler oil filter. (years of using the ST3614 on my Kohler 14 HP engine) Motorcraft FL400S is longer than the ST3614 and holds about 4 ounces more oil.

The original oil filter on my Kohler Pro V-Twin 27 HP was manufactured in India... not suggesting a lack of quality, just that Kohler probably isn't paying a premium price for OEM filters.

Phil

Phil-R, Thanks for the quick info. Appreciate the "cross over" numbers for the filters. I think I'll change my oil at the intervals you mentioned and start with the Mobil l, 10w-30 synthetic on my 2nd. change. Enjoy the weekend! Pharmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back