Rotella Synthetic 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
JakeBrake #346 is the owner of this Virgin Oil Analysis.

Rotella Synthetic 5W40
Analysis by Blackstone Labs, 11/22/05

code:

Iron 1

Silicon 4

Sodium 3

Calcium 2884

Magnesium 10

Phosphorus 1164

Zinc 1311

All others 0

Viscosity 75.6

Flashpoint 410

smile.gif

There's a very interesting article in this month's Hot Rod magazine that goes into some pretty good technical detail about cam wear in high performance engines. According to the cam manufacturers they talked to, Rotella is the best oil for these engines due to the high phosporous content. Now the bad news - look for the phosporous content to go way down as the EPA mandates catalytic converters for ths large diesels.
frown.gif

Tracy, the P and Z will not go down in CI4 oils, only the new PC-10 or whatever the new disignation is due to particulate traps and such. Never fear, you will be able to get this stuff for a long time.
GregH

I bought some of this inexpensive 5W40 for my oil burner. I'm wondering if adding a moly additive would be beneficial.

Any thoughts? (other than the obvious-'Overhaul your engine to stop the blowby')

Now after making my statement about Ci4 oils not going away, let me state what I see at Walmart and Auto Zone.

Only CJ-4 oils are on the shelves. I may be wrong, I repeated what I had read on oil companies new releases.
Goes to prove everything you read AIN'T true!
GregH

Thanks for responding, Brian.

I'm going to try to get my gasket leak fixed.

But in the mean time would ZDDP 'help' worn rings as much as Moly would? (assuming that anything could 'help' worn rings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back