German Castrol Syntec 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
....You also have to pay attention when you go to edit a post so you don't end up with a double entry.

[ September 26, 2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
So this oil definitely does not freeze at -39, nor is it's pour point -39, it's much less.

Have you noticed how it seems these hi-tech oils are sometimes too "hi-tech" for these labs? Blackstone says they can't give accurate calcium readings when the level gets over 2000 ppm, yet we've got Mobil 1 (and GC) which both seem to be highly overbased with calcium. And now we've got this lab trying to test an oil with a pour point somewhere south of -50°C with a testing unit that won't go below -39°C.

These labs seem to be set up to test average OTC oils and when you throw something "exotic" at them, they can't handle it.
dunno.gif

G-Man II,

I am an overreactor; I admit it; however, as I see a post that quotes a lab rep as saying, "Hey we put tenths on our reports but our machines can't really detect to that level," and as I am reminded by your post of Blackstone's limitations, and as I look at Patman's latest GC VOA which I really question the accuracy of, I am beginning to question the process by which we BITOG members "dissect UOAs to the 'second decimal'" based on reports that may not be accurate at the prime number level!
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

So this oil definitely does not freeze at -39, nor is it's pour point -39, it's much less.

Pat, You meant "less" as in "lower" than -39ºC, right?

Yes, exactly. This oil definitely has a pour point that is at a colder temperature than -39

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Have you noticed how it seems these hi-tech oils are sometimes too "hi-tech" for these labs? Blackstone says they can't give accurate calcium readings when the level gets over 2000 ppm, yet we've got Mobil 1 (and GC) which both seem to be highly overbased with calcium. And now we've got this lab trying to test an oil with a pour point somewhere south of -50°C with a testing unit that won't go below -39°C.

These labs seem to be set up to test average OTC oils and when you throw something "exotic" at them, they can't handle it.
dunno.gif

Here is another quote from the email I was sent, which shows me that Wearcheck went the extra step to ensure they were giving me accurate readings on the additive levels:

quote:

As this sample was a new oil with a high viscosity index it was sent for an ICP re-test where a higher dilution ratio is applied to the oil prior to testing. This is a standard procedure on new oils with high VI's as the higher dilution of the sample limits the negative effects the VI improvers have on sample nebulisation in the spectrometers spray chamber. This practice reduces the sensitivity of wear metal analysis but significantly improves the accuracy of additive measurements which are of more concern with new oils.

Patman,

Even if the GC, 0w-30 had a pour point of -81F, I'm not sure you could conclude what type of basestock blend it was. When Amsoil released their Series 2000, 0w-30 back in 1995, it had a pour point of -76F and it was primarily a PAO based oil. I remember this very well - I thought it was pretty impressive on paper but not particularly useful unless you lived in the Arctic.

The GC, 0w-30 seems to be pretty comparable to Mobil 1, based on the limited data I've seen. The real proof of the pudding would be to run some 10k-12k drain intervals and see if it holds up as well as Mobil 1 and Amsoil. Any ACEA A3/B4 rated synthetic should last for at least 10,000 miles when used in a clean running engine ....

Ted

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Patman,

...I thought it was pretty impressive on paper but not particularly useful unless you lived in the Arctic.
Ted

Ted,

Just remember, when one wants to justify one's passion for GC, the Artic only has to be a state of mind.
wink.gif
(I'm living proof...by the way does it seem REALLY COLD in here to the rest of you guys?)
grin.gif

quote:

The GC, 0w-30 seems to be pretty comparable to Mobil 1, based on the limited data I've seen. The real proof of the pudding would be to run some 10k-12k drain intervals and see if it holds up as well as Mobil 1 and Amsoil. Any ACEA A3/B4 rated synthetic should last for at least 10,000 miles when used in a clean running engine ....

My plan was to run this oil to a 20,000km interval (12,500 miles) in my sister's car until she decided to move to Vancouver in October. So unfortunately we'll have to let someone else go for this type of interval. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with 6k intervals in my own car, or at the very most 9k.

quote:

quote:

My plan was to run this oil to a 20,000km interval (12,500 miles) in my sister's car until she decided to move to Vancouver in October. So unfortunately we'll have to let someone else go for this type of interval. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with 6k intervals in my own car, or at the very most 9k.

I should have a 7500 mile run of GC in the next month or so. If it looks good I intend to try a 10K mile run. I have a 10K mile run on that engine using Mobil 1 so we should be able to get some comparison...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back